• MASTER NODE...
Updated on 2012-12-28T10:46:18Z at 2012-12-28T10:46:18Z by SystemAdmin
  • rossella
    rossella
    11 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Install and deploy SCP 2.1 with VMware ESXi

‏2012-10-30T12:21:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    It all depends on how many ESX/ESXi boxes you have ;-)

Are you trying to install the whole SmartCloud Provisioning on ESXi, or do you want to have an ESXi compute node?

For the first case:
    • The PXE server/firstbox is easy: just create a VM on top of one of the ESX, install RHEL 6.0,6.1 or 6.2 there; proceed with the installation as if it was a physical system, nothing special. Since the installation is somewhat "special" I would recommend to use the CLI to do the installation
    • create a VM for each of the storage nodes, just say it will be a linux when creating the VM, no need to install anything on them. Be sure the first time they boot from PXE; create a VM for each of the kernel service as well (web-adminconsole, webservice, hbase*,zookeeper*,...) with the same trick, just "promise" they will be linuxes. Ensure they boot from PXE
    • Once you executed on the PXE server firstbox_run, edit ISAAC.cfg putting the right MAC of the respective VMs you created the step above (detailed instructions on what to do when you modify ISAAC.cfg can be found here: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v48r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.scp.doc_2.1.0%2Finstalling%2Ft_inst_script.html)
    • Boot the VMs, the PXE will be taking care of installing the proper things on them
    • For the compute node, what you have to do is just to follow the instructions here: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v48r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.scp.doc_2.1.0%2Finstalling%2Fc_inst_vmware.html Consider that if you have only one ESX/ESXi box, that could be your compute node as well (not the best thing from HA point of view, but for playing it can be ok)
    For the second case:
    -if you installed via GUI, you just have to mark the check box to install ESX/ESXi as compute nodes and provide the credentials and IP address
    -if you installed via CLI just follow http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v48r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.scp.doc_2.1.0%2Finstalling%2Fc_inst_vmware.html
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      24 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-28T10:41:48Z  in response to rossella
      Hello,

I have gone with the first case, I have installed all the kernal services and also storage nodes.

But after complete installation my admin server is not started properly.
      Since its CLI installation, the installation did not asked for ISCP Admin UI credentials. I am able to open the Admin UI URL but I am unable to log in to the same.
      http://<adminconsole>:9080/login

I have tried following credentials.
      adminuser/passw0rd
      admin/passw0rd
      adminuser/password
      adminuser/adminuser

But no luck.

• Pramod
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        24 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-28T10:46:18Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Just to add more details.
        I am able to log in to IWD Server and Image Library server.
        It looks like only HSLT ui is not working with the steps given.

Thanks,
        • Pramod Dahale
        • jgeukens
          jgeukens
          1 Post
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-12T09:07:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Hello,

I'm also having a problem while installing SCP into a ESXi environment.
          Like said before, I need to create 2 VM's for the storage nodes where the kernel services will be deployed.

Everything seems to go fine, PXE boot works, installation of storage nodes works and I can reboot both the storage nodes.
          But them when I want to start the deploy_all.sh script, it fails.

First of all, saying that my /.CLOUD_FIRST_BOOT doesn't exists. This means that my storage installation process didn't work well.
          I see that on my storage nodes, the folder /iaas/... is empty. Normally inhere, I should find other folders like: inst-script, local-storage, ...

Does anyone have an idea what went wrong during the installation of my storage nodes?

Can it be due to the fact that when I ssh into a storage nodes, my login always prompts for the password?

Thanks in advance,

Answers would help me a lot.

Kind Regards,
          Jan