• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-24T08:22:05Z by SystemAdmin
ChB
ChB
26 Posts

Pinned topic longer map delay - or retry available for windows launcher

‏2012-10-18T12:04:47Z |
Hello group,

I have a customer who is writing files in a very slow way. Sometimes, the file is in use for half a minute. The customer says, it takes too much time, to rewrite the code and they think, WTX should be able to handle this.

Thread
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=123183&start=0&tstart=0
is explaining, that the retry function is not working in this case (windows). Can this be confirmed?

What I can see sometimes: an audit log, that the file cannot be accessed, but the directory is empty and the file was processed. The launcher log doesn't tell, what was going on. But it looks like, the file was processed, even the error log was written. Or was it the retry? In the audit log I just can see a runtime, of 0.015 secondes. My retry settings are 10/60.

But sometimes, the files are staying in the directory and a launcher restart is required to process the file.

My map delay is set to 9999 (ms). Can this be enhanced? I can store a higher value, but when deployed, it is ignored on launcher side.

The problem is not dependend to the version. They had this problem in Version 8.0 and still have it (just migrated to 8.4).

Thanks for any idea.

Best regards

Christian
Updated on 2012-10-24T08:22:05Z at 2012-10-24T08:22:05Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6184 Posts

Re: longer map delay - or retry available for windows launcher

‏2012-10-22T12:43:12Z  
    I would guess, from what you report, that :

- the Launcher triggers "too early" because the file appers on the disk before they have finished writing to it.
    - sometimes, depending on your settings, the file changes are seen (when the file takes too much time to get written), the Launcher sees the timestamp has changed, and this time it can process the file as it has finally been released.
    - sometimes (depending on the same settings) the file cannot be processed because it is still locked, but the change in timestamp is too small to be detected by the Launcher. See TriggerTime parameter in the documentation. AFAIK, the default is 1 second, so if you're unlucky this could explain this behaviour (means you should start the map at a given time, and the file finally becomes available less than 1 second later)

If the writing application properly locks the file, then the retries might help... It's worth a try anyhow.

Hope this helps
    Laurent
  • ChB
    ChB
    26 Posts

‏2012-10-23T11:05:57Z  
    I would guess, from what you report, that :

- the Launcher triggers "too early" because the file appers on the disk before they have finished writing to it.
    - sometimes, depending on your settings, the file changes are seen (when the file takes too much time to get written), the Launcher sees the timestamp has changed, and this time it can process the file as it has finally been released.
    - sometimes (depending on the same settings) the file cannot be processed because it is still locked, but the change in timestamp is too small to be detected by the Launcher. See TriggerTime parameter in the documentation. AFAIK, the default is 1 second, so if you're unlucky this could explain this behaviour (means you should start the map at a given time, and the file finally becomes available less than 1 second later)

If the writing application properly locks the file, then the retries might help... It's worth a try anyhow.

Hope this helps
    Laurent
    Hello Laurent,

thanks for your input. I already tried to change the ListenSleepTime. But this was not helping always.

I haven't seen the configuration "TriggerTime". I will check this out tomorrow.

Yes, I know, that we should use small trigger files, when a huge file is written, but the customer is not willing to do so, as he thinks, this can be managed with WTX. The retry with Unix is working fine, but it looks like it is different with Windows, as the file is written via Windows share from a SAP system...

Do you have an idea, how I can lock a file for a longer time to do some testings?

Thanks so far

Chris
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6184 Posts

‏2012-10-24T08:05:59Z  
    • ChB
    • ‏2012-10-23T11:05:57Z
    Hello Laurent,

thanks for your input. I already tried to change the ListenSleepTime. But this was not helping always.

I haven't seen the configuration "TriggerTime". I will check this out tomorrow.

Yes, I know, that we should use small trigger files, when a huge file is written, but the customer is not willing to do so, as he thinks, this can be managed with WTX. The retry with Unix is working fine, but it looks like it is different with Windows, as the file is written via Windows share from a SAP system...

Do you have an idea, how I can lock a file for a longer time to do some testings?

Thanks so far

Chris
    I'm afraid this has to do with the way SAP and/or shares work. I'd question the locking mechanism in this case.

My experience with Windows is that the retries work fine IF the file is properly locked, at least on the local system. I had a sample C program to show this, but can't find it back at the moment. (nothing fancy, just fopen and write every second for 30 seconds, which gives time to see the retry in the map)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6184 Posts

‏2012-10-24T08:21:13Z  
    I'm afraid this has to do with the way SAP and/or shares work. I'd question the locking mechanism in this case.

My experience with Windows is that the retries work fine IF the file is properly locked, at least on the local system. I had a sample C program to show this, but can't find it back at the moment. (nothing fancy, just fopen and write every second for 30 seconds, which gives time to see the retry in the map)
    I got the file back...

Compiles straight forward with gcc.

I will also try to attach the executable, not sure the forum will accept it.

Attachments

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6184 Posts

‏2012-10-24T08:22:05Z  
    I got the file back...

Compiles straight forward with gcc.

I will also try to attach the executable, not sure the forum will accept it.
    Here's the executable. It opens "myfile.txt" in the current directory and holds a lock for 30 seconds.

Attachments