• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-11-05T08:57:30Z by satoh
satoh
satoh
2 Posts

Pinned topic A difference between a 'work factor' and a 'speed factor'

‏2012-10-18T09:23:10Z |
Hello,

I would like to ask about difference between a 'work factor' and a 'speed factor' on WAS V8.5 ND.
In the V8.5 InfoCenter, the following passages are described.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v8r5/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.wve.doc%2Fae%2Ftwve_arfmworkfactor.html

If you have already specified a speed factor override, you do not need to configure a work factor override. For more information about speed factors, read about configuring work factors in multiple tier configurations.

From the description above, I guess a 'speed factor' is different from a 'work factor'.
But, there are no descriptions about a 'speed factor' in the InfoCenter, meanwhile there are some descriptions about a 'work factor'.
Can anyone tell me the difference between a 'work factor' and a 'speed factor' , please?

Thanks in advance.
Updated on 2012-11-05T08:57:30Z at 2012-11-05T08:57:30Z by satoh
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

Re: A difference between a 'work factor' and a 'speed factor'

‏2012-10-23T17:07:23Z  
    The reference to speed factor needs to be deleted from the description, it is old terminology that is no longer used.
  • satoh
    satoh
    2 Posts

Re: A difference between a 'work factor' and a 'speed factor'

‏2012-11-05T08:57:30Z  
    The reference to speed factor needs to be deleted from the description, it is old terminology that is no longer used.
    Hello, Allan

Thank you for your response.
    I would like to ask two more questions.

(1)
    I remember that there used to be two components in a work profiler, one of them is an alpha estimator to calculate work factors, the other is a kappa estimator to calculate speed factors.
    Am I correct in assuming that there is the only alpha estimator in a work profiler in WAS V8.5 ?

(2)
    I remember that a work profiler use to be a part of ARFM in WVE V6.0.
    But in a WAS V8.5 adminconsole, we can look at "Work Profiler Controller" from Runtime Tasks menu.
    Am I correct in assuming that a work profiler is separated from ARFM ?

Regards,
    Namie