Topic
  • 14 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-27T08:10:42Z by JagadishVemugunta
JagadishVemugunta
JagadishVemugunta
37 Posts

Pinned topic Data Power unable to set the correct ContentType on MTOM response messages

‏2012-10-18T02:01:09Z |
Service has been exposed to accept SOAP with attachments

1) Client sends an MTOM request to the service. The content type comes correctly as

Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary=MIMEBoundaryurn_uuid_806D8FD2D542EDCC2C1199332890718; type="application/xop+xml"; start="0.urn:uuid:806D8FD2D542EDCC2C1199332890719@apache.org"; start-info="application/soap+xml"; action="urn:ihe:iti:2007:ProvideAndRegisterDocumentSet-b"

2) The service calls a backend application. The backend application sends a positive response with content type as

Content-Type text/xml; charset=UTF-8
3) The service sends the positive response to client with Content type as

Content-Type application/soap+xml; charset=UTF-8

Note that this response message does not NEED MTOM/XOP encoding (no attachments present). But, since the request and response must be in the same format (SIMPLE SOAP or MTOM) this response must be in MTOM encoding based on MTOM specifications

Now, the client wants us to send the content type as

Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary=MIMEBoundaryurn_uuid_7BFFF2BD24C642EA531247750913327; type="application/xop+xml";
start="<0.urn:uuid:7BFFF2BD24C642EA531247750913328@apache.org>";
start-info="application/soap+xml"; action="urn:ihe:iti:2007:ProvideAndRegisterDocumentSet-bResponse"

I tried two options and both of them didn’t work

1) Proxy-settings -> Include charset in response-type as on
2) Wrote a custom stylesheet as below

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
xmlns:dp="http://www.datapower.com/extensions" extension-element-prefixes="dp"
exclude-result-prefixes="dp" version="1.0">
<xsl:output method="xml"/>
<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:variable name="input-content-type" select="dp:http-request-header('Content-Type')"/>
<xsl:message dp:priority="debug">
input-content-type=
<xsl:copy-of select="$input-content-type" />
</xsl:message>

<dp:set-variable name="'var://service/set-response-header/content-type'"
value="$input-content-type"/>
<xsl:copy-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>
This style sheet copies the content type from request to reposnse, but I see an error while processing as client

Couldn't find MIME boundary: --uuid:8d5e23eb-d17b-4131-980f-3e21c53f25b7

However, I wrote the service implementation on a J2EE application server (tomcat) to observe the behavior. I see both the request and response coming with correct MTOM content type as

multipart/related; type="application/xop+xml";
Is this a bug in DataPower or am I doing anything wrong?

Please advise.
Updated on 2012-10-27T08:10:42Z at 2012-10-27T08:10:42Z by JagadishVemugunta
  • msiebler
    msiebler
    140 Posts

Re: Data Power unable to set the correct ContentType on MTOM response messages

‏2012-10-18T10:06:11Z  
    I think the boundary error is unrelated to the stylesheet. Can you show me a debug log from 1 transaction?
  • JagadishVemugunta
    JagadishVemugunta
    37 Posts

‏2012-10-18T10:20:28Z  
    • msiebler
    • ‏2012-10-18T10:06:11Z
    I think the boundary error is unrelated to the stylesheet. Can you show me a debug log from 1 transaction?
    Agreed, the boundary error is not related to the stylesheet.

It is very simple to prove. The log doesn't shown anything as there is no error in the stylesheet

If I have request content type as

Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary=MIMEBoundaryurn_uuid_806D8FD2D542EDCC2C1199332890718; type="application/xop+xml"; start="0.urn:uuid:806D8FD2D542EDCC2C1199332890719@apache.org"; start-info="application/soap+xml"; action="urn:ihe:iti:2007:ProvideAndRegisterDocumentSet-b"

If I use the stylesheet to copy the request content type to the response content type, the response content type will become

Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary=MIMEBoundaryurn_uuid_806D8FD2D542EDCC2C1199332890718; type="application/xop+xml";text/xml;charset=utf-8 start="0.urn:uuid:806D8FD2D542EDCC2C1199332890719@apache.org"; start-info="application/soap+xml"; action="urn:ihe:iti:2007:ProvideAndRegisterDocumentSet-b"
    When the client reads this response, the mime boundary is missing urn_uuid_806D8FD2D542EDCC2C1199332890718 and the response could not be processed.

I guess the question is how to create MTOM content type for the responses that doesn't have attachments?

As I said the same works in a J2EE container, the MTOM content type is automatically set by the Web Service obtainer even if there is no attachment on the response.
    Hope I was clear with my question.
  • msiebler
    msiebler
    140 Posts

‏2012-10-22T17:16:49Z  
    Agreed, the boundary error is not related to the stylesheet.

It is very simple to prove. The log doesn't shown anything as there is no error in the stylesheet

If I have request content type as

If I use the stylesheet to copy the request content type to the response content type, the response content type will become

Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary=MIMEBoundaryurn_uuid_806D8FD2D542EDCC2C1199332890718; type="application/xop+xml";text/xml;charset=utf-8 start="0.urn:uuid:806D8FD2D542EDCC2C1199332890719@apache.org"; start-info="application/soap+xml"; action="urn:ihe:iti:2007:ProvideAndRegisterDocumentSet-b"
    When the client reads this response, the mime boundary is missing urn_uuid_806D8FD2D542EDCC2C1199332890718 and the response could not be processed.

I guess the question is how to create MTOM content type for the responses that doesn't have attachments?

As I said the same works in a J2EE container, the MTOM content type is automatically set by the Web Service obtainer even if there is no attachment on the response.
    Hope I was clear with my question.
    Since the response message does not have any attachments then you cannot just set the content type to have a boundary.
    Can you attach a small file to the response to put it in SwA?
  • JagadishVemugunta
    JagadishVemugunta
    37 Posts

‏2012-10-22T18:00:09Z  
    • msiebler
    • ‏2012-10-22T17:16:49Z
    Since the response message does not have any attachments then you cannot just set the content type to have a boundary.
    Can you attach a small file to the response to put it in SwA?
    No, we can't add an empty attachment as it requires changes on the client side.

However, If I test the same think on a J2EE container, I see the MTOM response with the correct boundaries even if I don't have attachment on the response message.

Why is DataPower no doing by default and this what the MTOM spec says. If the request is MTOM, the response should be also MTOM as a best practice. The client is complaining they we are not MTOM complaint
  • msiebler
    msiebler
    140 Posts

‏2012-10-22T19:29:33Z  
    No, we can't add an empty attachment as it requires changes on the client side.

However, If I test the same think on a J2EE container, I see the MTOM response with the correct boundaries even if I don't have attachment on the response message.

Why is DataPower no doing by default and this what the MTOM spec says. If the request is MTOM, the response should be also MTOM as a best practice. The client is complaining they we are not MTOM complaint
    I'm not sure if there is a way to make our box send an XML message as MTOM if there are no attachments. Also; I am not sure if i would agree that this violates the protocol; from http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-mtom/#HTTP-implementation
    2.3.3 Intermediaries

Use of the Abstract SOAP Transmission Optimization Feature is a hop-by-hop contract between a SOAP node and the next SOAP node in the SOAP message path. Therefore, no changes or restrictions to the SOAP processing model are introduced by this feature at an intermediary.
  • JagadishVemugunta
    JagadishVemugunta
    37 Posts

‏2012-10-24T02:00:20Z  
    • msiebler
    • ‏2012-10-22T19:29:33Z
    I'm not sure if there is a way to make our box send an XML message as MTOM if there are no attachments. Also; I am not sure if i would agree that this violates the protocol; from http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-mtom/#HTTP-implementation
    2.3.3 Intermediaries

Use of the Abstract SOAP Transmission Optimization Feature is a hop-by-hop contract between a SOAP node and the next SOAP node in the SOAP message path. Therefore, no changes or restrictions to the SOAP processing model are introduced by this feature at an intermediary.
    http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=XDS.b_Implementation#Example_Provide_and_Register_Document_Set-b_transaction

This is the health care specification that talks about MTOM response without attachments.
  • HermannSW
    HermannSW
    4866 Posts

‏2012-10-24T11:33:43Z  
    http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=XDS.b_Implementation#Example_Provide_and_Register_Document_Set-b_transaction

This is the health care specification that talks about MTOM response without attachments.
    Hi Jagadish,

I will let Matthias continue on the spec discussion.

Of course you can always generate any output with DataPower if doing it by hand, see the smtp posting as an example:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/HermannSW/tags/smtp

(XSLT is Turing complete, mentioned in Examples section)

Hermann<myXsltBlog/> <myXsltTweets/>
  • JagadishVemugunta
    JagadishVemugunta
    37 Posts

‏2012-10-24T14:30:26Z  
    • HermannSW
    • ‏2012-10-24T11:33:43Z
    Hi Jagadish,

I will let Matthias continue on the spec discussion.

Of course you can always generate any output with DataPower if doing it by hand, see the smtp posting as an example:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/HermannSW/tags/smtp

(XSLT is Turing complete, mentioned in Examples section)

Hermann<myXsltBlog/> <myXsltTweets/>
    I thought about the same and wrote a custom stylesheet and put this one as the last transform action that takes the "INPUT" and generates the output based on the below stylesheet. The custom stylesheet is nothing but building a correct MIME headers for the MTOM response. I looked the tcpdump on a good MTOM attachment to build this MIME headers
    <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
    xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:dp="http://www.datapower.com/extensions"
    xmlns:regexp="http://exslt.org/regular-expressions"
    extension-element-prefixes="dp">

<xsl:variable name="CRLF" select="'&#13;&#10;'" />
    <xsl:variable name="DDASH" select="'--'" />
    <xsl:variable name="QUOT" select="'&quot;'" />
    <xsl:variable name="boundary" select="dp:generate-uuid()" />
    <xsl:variable name="plus" select="'&#43;'" />
    <xsl:variable name="slash" select="'&#47;'" />

<xsl:variable name="contentType"
    select="concat('multipart/related; boundary=',$boundary,';
    type=',$QUOT,'application',$slash,'xop',$plus,'xml;','start=',$QUOT,'ITI41_ID;','
    start-info=',$QUOT,'application',$slash,'soap',$plus,'xml',$QUOT,';','
    action=',$QUOT,'urn:ihe:iti:2007:ProvideAndRegisterDocumentSet-bResponse',$QUOT)" />
    <dp:set-http-response-header name="'Content-Type'"
    value="$contentType" />
    <dp:freeze-headers />
    <xsl:call-template name="buildMIMEpart"></xsl:call-template>
    <xsl:copy-of select="." />
    <xsl:value-of disable-output-escaping="yes"
    select="concat($CRLF,$DDASH,$boundary,$DDASH,$CRLF)" />

<xsl:template name="buildMIMEpart">
    select="concat($CRLF,$DDASH,$boundary,$CRLF)" />
    select="concat('Content-Type: application',$slash,'xop',$plus,'xml;',' charset=UTF-8; type=',$QUOT,'application',$slash,'soap',$plus,'xml',$QUOT,$CRLF)" />
    select="concat('Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary',$CRLF)" />

select="concat('Content-ID: ITI41_ID',$CRLF)" />

This one seems to have set the right content type on the response header as below

Content-Type multipart/related; boundary=ad72cd61-e330-490f-b1d3-0880cb3a39e2; type="application/xop+xml;start="ITI41_ID; start-info="application/soap+xml"; action="urn:ihe:iti:2007:ProvideAndRegisterDocumentSet-bResponse"
    But, this one resulted in a parsing error while reading the MIME headers as below

mpgw (Availity_ITI_MPG_INBOUND): Internal error
    mpgw (Availity_ITI_MPG_INBOUND): rule (Availity_ITI_MPG_POLICY_rule_1): implied action Process unread attachments failed: Internal error
    mpgw (Availity_ITI_MPG_INBOUND): rule (Availity_ITI_MPG_POLICY_rule_1): implied action Begin reading attachments failed: Internal error
    mpgw (Availity_ITI_MPG_INBOUND): Invalid MIME package: error parsing entity headers
  • JagadishVemugunta
    JagadishVemugunta
    37 Posts

‏2012-10-24T15:03:55Z  
    I thought about the same and wrote a custom stylesheet and put this one as the last transform action that takes the "INPUT" and generates the output based on the below stylesheet. The custom stylesheet is nothing but building a correct MIME headers for the MTOM response. I looked the tcpdump on a good MTOM attachment to build this MIME headers
    xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:dp="http://www.datapower.com/extensions"

select="concat('multipart/related; boundary=',$boundary,';
    type=',$QUOT,'application',$slash,'xop',$plus,'xml;','start=',$QUOT,'ITI41_ID;','
    start-info=',$QUOT,'application',$slash,'soap',$plus,'xml',$QUOT,';','
    action=',$QUOT,'urn:ihe:iti:2007:ProvideAndRegisterDocumentSet-bResponse',$QUOT)" />
    value="$contentType" />

select="concat('Content-Type: application',$slash,'xop',$plus,'xml;',' charset=UTF-8; type=',$QUOT,'application',$slash,'soap',$plus,'xml',$QUOT,$CRLF)" />

select="concat('Content-ID: ITI41_ID',$CRLF)" />

This one seems to have set the right content type on the response header as below

Content-Type multipart/related; boundary=ad72cd61-e330-490f-b1d3-0880cb3a39e2; type="application/xop+xml;start="ITI41_ID; start-info="application/soap+xml"; action="urn:ihe:iti:2007:ProvideAndRegisterDocumentSet-bResponse"
    But, this one resulted in a parsing error while reading the MIME headers as below

mpgw (Availity_ITI_MPG_INBOUND): Internal error
    mpgw (Availity_ITI_MPG_INBOUND): rule (Availity_ITI_MPG_POLICY_rule_1): implied action Process unread attachments failed: Internal error
    mpgw (Availity_ITI_MPG_INBOUND): rule (Availity_ITI_MPG_POLICY_rule_1): implied action Begin reading attachments failed: Internal error
    mpgw (Availity_ITI_MPG_INBOUND): Invalid MIME package: error parsing entity headers
    To bring more clarification on how I build the mime headers. I captured tcpdump on a J2EE container that doesn't have attachments on the response.

Please have a look at the response from the tcp dump.

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
    Content-Type: multipart/related;type="application/xop+xml";boundary="uuid:c98951b3-a2ce-4140-b910-aa7934b22378";start="<root.message@cxf.apache.org>";start-info="application/soap+xml"
    Content-Length: 708
    Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 14:59:11 GMT
    --uuid:c98951b3-a2ce-4140-b910-aa7934b22378
    Content-Type: application/xop+xml; charset=UTF-8; type="application/soap+xml";
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
    Content-ID: <root.message@cxf.apache.org>

<soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope"><soap:Body><ns3:RegistryResponse xmlns="urn:ihe:iti:xds-b:2007" xmlns:ns2="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:xsd:rim:3.0" xmlns:ns3="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:xsd:rs:3.0" xmlns:ns4="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:xsd:query:3.0" xmlns:ns5="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:xsd:lcm:3.0" status="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:ResponseStatusType:Success"/></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>
    --uuid:c98951b3-a2ce-4140-b910-aa7934b22378--
    When I build exactly like the same in DataPower, It complains with unable to read MIME headers. I guess I may be doing something wrong, or DataPower always except an attachment incase there is MTOM mime header.
  • msiebler
    msiebler
    140 Posts

‏2012-10-24T15:35:01Z  
    To bring more clarification on how I build the mime headers. I captured tcpdump on a J2EE container that doesn't have attachments on the response.

Please have a look at the response from the tcp dump.

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
    Content-Type: multipart/related;type="application/xop+xml";boundary="uuid:c98951b3-a2ce-4140-b910-aa7934b22378";start="<root.message@cxf.apache.org>";start-info="application/soap+xml"
    Content-Length: 708
    Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 14:59:11 GMT
    --uuid:c98951b3-a2ce-4140-b910-aa7934b22378
    Content-Type: application/xop+xml; charset=UTF-8; type="application/soap+xml";
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
    Content-ID: <root.message@cxf.apache.org>

<soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope"><soap:Body><ns3:RegistryResponse xmlns="urn:ihe:iti:xds-b:2007" xmlns:ns2="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:xsd:rim:3.0" xmlns:ns3="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:xsd:rs:3.0" xmlns:ns4="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:xsd:query:3.0" xmlns:ns5="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:xsd:lcm:3.0" status="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:ResponseStatusType:Success"/></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>
    --uuid:c98951b3-a2ce-4140-b910-aa7934b22378--
    When I build exactly like the same in DataPower, It complains with unable to read MIME headers. I guess I may be doing something wrong, or DataPower always except an attachment incase there is MTOM mime header.
    Hi I am not sure i understand the traffic flow. I think Hermann was recommending that you build the message as the last step of the response rule; just before it is returned to the HTTP client.
    I am not sure then in that case why DataPower would be trying to parse the message.
    Can you show us the complete debug log from 1 transaction?
  • JagadishVemugunta
    JagadishVemugunta
    37 Posts

‏2012-10-25T15:25:37Z  
    • msiebler
    • ‏2012-10-24T15:35:01Z
    Hi I am not sure i understand the traffic flow. I think Hermann was recommending that you build the message as the last step of the response rule; just before it is returned to the HTTP client.
    I am not sure then in that case why DataPower would be trying to parse the message.
    Can you show us the complete debug log from 1 transaction?
    Thank you, I guess the problem was I didn't put my custom MTOM stylesheet as the last step. Now, when I put this as the last step and it seems to be working. I have tested with the tools I have and seems to be sending the correct MTOM headers on the responses that doesn't have attachments.

Now, I am waiting for the client (.NET) to test to observe the results. I will keep you posted.
  • JagadishVemugunta
    JagadishVemugunta
    37 Posts

‏2012-10-27T08:08:27Z  
    Thank you, I guess the problem was I didn't put my custom MTOM stylesheet as the last step. Now, when I put this as the last step and it seems to be working. I have tested with the tools I have and seems to be sending the correct MTOM headers on the responses that doesn't have attachments.

Now, I am waiting for the client (.NET) to test to observe the results. I will keep you posted.
    I am able to make it work with the .NET client.

How, this is not working in the error rule.

Can you please advise what could be the issue?
  • JagadishVemugunta
    JagadishVemugunta
    37 Posts

‏2012-10-27T08:10:00Z  
    I am able to make it work with the .NET client.

How, this is not working in the error rule.

Can you please advise what could be the issue?

<xsl:output omit-xml-declaration="yes"></xsl:output>
    <xsl:strip-space elements="*" />

<xsl:variable name="lt" select="'&lt;'" />
    <xsl:variable name="gt" select="'&gt;'" />

<xsl:variable name="multipart" select="'multipart/related; '"></xsl:variable>
    <xsl:variable name="bound"
    select="concat('boundary=',$QUOT,$boundary,$QUOT,'; ')"></xsl:variable>
    <xsl:variable name="type"
    select="concat('type=',$QUOT,'application',$slash,'xop',$plus,'xml',$QUOT,'; ')"></xsl:variable>
    <xsl:variable name="start"
    select="concat('start=',$QUOT,$lt,'TEST_ID',$gt,$QUOT,'; ')"></xsl:variable>
    <xsl:variable name="start-info"
    select="concat('start-info=',$QUOT,'application',$slash,'soap',$plus,'xml',$QUOT,'; ')"></xsl:variable>
    <xsl:variable name="action"
    select="concat('action=',$QUOT,'urn:ihe:iti:2007:ProvideAndRegisterDocumentSet-bResponse',$QUOT,'; ')"></xsl:variable>

select="concat($multipart,$action,$bound,$type,$start,$start-info)" />
    value="$contentType" />

<xsl:message>
    header=

<xsl:value-of select="dp:http-response-header('Content-Type')"></xsl:value-of>

<xsl:value-of disable-output-escaping="yes" select="$CRLF" />

select="concat('Content-ID: ',$lt,'TEST_ID',$gt,$CRLF)" />

• JagadishVemugunta
    JagadishVemugunta
    37 Posts

‏2012-10-27T08:10:42Z  

<xsl:output omit-xml-declaration="yes"></xsl:output>
    <xsl:strip-space elements="*" />

<xsl:variable name="lt" select="'&lt;'" />
    <xsl:variable name="gt" select="'&gt;'" />

<xsl:variable name="multipart" select="'multipart/related; '"></xsl:variable>
    <xsl:variable name="bound"
    select="concat('boundary=',$QUOT,$boundary,$QUOT,'; ')"></xsl:variable>
    <xsl:variable name="type"
    select="concat('type=',$QUOT,'application',$slash,'xop',$plus,'xml',$QUOT,'; ')"></xsl:variable>
    <xsl:variable name="start"
    select="concat('start=',$QUOT,$lt,'TEST_ID',$gt,$QUOT,'; ')"></xsl:variable>
    <xsl:variable name="start-info"
    select="concat('start-info=',$QUOT,'application',$slash,'soap',$plus,'xml',$QUOT,'; ')"></xsl:variable>
    <xsl:variable name="action"
    select="concat('action=',$QUOT,'urn:ihe:iti:2007:ProvideAndRegisterDocumentSet-bResponse',$QUOT,'; ')"></xsl:variable>

select="concat($multipart,$action,$bound,$type,$start,$start-info)" />
    value="$contentType" />

<xsl:message>
    header=

<xsl:value-of select="dp:http-response-header('Content-Type')"></xsl:value-of>

<xsl:value-of disable-output-escaping="yes" select="$CRLF" />

select="concat('Content-ID: ',$lt,'TEST_ID',$gt,$CRLF)" />

Sorry, this is code I am using to build the custom MTOM header