1 reply Latest Post - ‏2012-10-19T07:42:56Z by ErwinHaTsoF
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
17917 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Installation of DB2 on SAN

‏2012-10-17T17:04:01Z |
Hi,

We are working with the customer where they basically have diskless systems, and all the system drives are on a SAN. The OS drive is also on the SAN. For the database, we requested an additional data drive. Now the issue is that when we install the database, sometimes it is successful and sometimes it gives some minor errors. The time it was successful, we were creating the database instance on the data drive on SAN, but the configuration utility never stopped. We waited for more than 2 hours and nothing happened. I need some urgent help on this to solve the installation issue.

Best regards.
Updated on 2012-10-19T07:42:56Z at 2012-10-19T07:42:56Z by ErwinHaTsoF
  • ErwinHaTsoF
    ErwinHaTsoF
    16 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Installation of DB2 on SAN

‏2012-10-19T07:42:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Most surely DB2 can and will run on SAN : instance data and database data, all on one ore more LUN's

We have doen that for years (EMC with Fiber Channel and NetApp with iSCSI / NFS) with Windows and Microsoft Clustering.
    In our case:
    Operating system and DB2 binaries (program files), on LOCAL disk
    DB2 Instance data on SAN disk, as all other database container files, log files, etc.

Boot Operating system from SAN is another thing, but depening on hardware, operating system and network layer, should work fine, with advantages and disadvantages.
    Most likely, you have some severe Disk I/O Subsystem faulure between : Host Server <-> Network (FC, ISCSI, NFS ?) <-> SAN

Before even troubleshooting DB2 and its installation wizard, look into THAT first !!!
    (even more: dont even attempt using the DB2 installation wizard setup, Just install DB2 binaries, then quit any wizard setup; Proceed with a manual instance creation on SAN, and from there create database(s) in that instance, with all container files, log files etc on SAN LUN's

I would say: troubleshoot your Network / Disk IO subsytem with Stress tools / debug tools
    (how many IOPS can it handle, what is network latency, are there network package errors, etc)

regards,
    Erwin