Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-18T16:58:50Z by DaveQ
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
9111 Posts

Pinned topic How to get a x3500 server to run as a virtual server (VHD and Hyper-V)

‏2012-10-17T14:44:44Z |
I have a x3500 M2 server running Windows Server 2008 R2. This I want to make a virtual copy of.

As any other server or computer I have made a VHD from the server with the software Disk2VHD.
Than I created a new server in Hyper-V, attached the VHD file and booted the machine.

Here I get a booting error.
I think this is something about the UEFI bios from the xServer and the small UEFI partition on the disk.

Have any one made a visualisation of a IBM server from the xSeries??
Updated on 2012-10-18T16:58:50Z at 2012-10-18T16:58:50Z by DaveQ
  • DaveQ
    DaveQ
    141 Posts

Re: How to get a x3500 server to run as a virtual server (VHD and Hyper-V)

‏2012-10-17T16:13:13Z  
    Hi,

The issue is the GPT formatted disk on the source system, not the hardware platform. Source systems need to be formatted as MBR. The VHD produces without issue, but the contents of it are in the GPT format, which Hyper-V won't recognize. vSphere has the same issue, it's a wide-spread problem that is growing as more EFI-capable source servers come up for conversion, since an EFI system most likely has a GPT formatted OS disk if the administrator allowed installation defaults.

The source system needs to be formatted as MBR for the current version of conversion tools to work properly (including vCenter Converter for vSphere targets). There isn't an easy way to convert from GPT to MBR; conversion requires a system restore or an OS repair after creation of the VHD. See options 1 and 2 in this article:

KB: P2V fails with GPT partitions in System Center Virtual Machine Manager
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/scvmm/archive/2012/05/15/kb-p2v-fails-with-gpt-partitions-in-system-center-virtual-machine-manager.aspx
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9111 Posts

‏2012-10-18T16:38:49Z  
    • DaveQ
    • ‏2012-10-17T16:13:13Z
    Hi,

The issue is the GPT formatted disk on the source system, not the hardware platform. Source systems need to be formatted as MBR. The VHD produces without issue, but the contents of it are in the GPT format, which Hyper-V won't recognize. vSphere has the same issue, it's a wide-spread problem that is growing as more EFI-capable source servers come up for conversion, since an EFI system most likely has a GPT formatted OS disk if the administrator allowed installation defaults.

The source system needs to be formatted as MBR for the current version of conversion tools to work properly (including vCenter Converter for vSphere targets). There isn't an easy way to convert from GPT to MBR; conversion requires a system restore or an OS repair after creation of the VHD. See options 1 and 2 in this article:

KB: P2V fails with GPT partitions in System Center Virtual Machine Manager
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/scvmm/archive/2012/05/15/kb-p2v-fails-with-gpt-partitions-in-system-center-virtual-machine-manager.aspx
    Okay, this is some *!"?#*#!

Than all the smart thing about P2V dies here :(

I will than go back to normal backup routines instead of moving a working copy of the server...
    Thanks for the reply :((((
  • DaveQ
    DaveQ
    141 Posts

‏2012-10-18T16:58:50Z  
    Okay, this is some *!"?#*#!

Than all the smart thing about P2V dies here :(

I will than go back to normal backup routines instead of moving a working copy of the server...
    Thanks for the reply :((((
    P2V doesn't die, it is just that the free tools can't convert the content properly for either Hyper-V or vSphere to use them yet. You could invest in a pay-for product like Platespin for conversion activities, and that is the difference - paying versus not. Good luck!