Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-11-08T16:32:56Z by LaksSundar
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2327 Posts

Pinned topic Push Notification: Does push notification work for non-appstore app?

‏2012-10-16T21:08:03Z |
Push Notification: Does push notification work for non-appstore app? Enterprise app. Thanks.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

Re: Push Notification: Does push notification work for non-appstore app?

‏2012-10-17T21:39:44Z  
    I believe the only factor that will affect your ability to send a push notification is the provisioning profile that is used for the application. If your enterprise application is signed with the same kind of provisioning profile (being an app store provisioning profile), then you should still be able to use push notifications. Do you know what kind of provisioning profile is used for enterprise applications?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

‏2012-10-17T21:43:40Z  
    I believe the only factor that will affect your ability to send a push notification is the provisioning profile that is used for the application. If your enterprise application is signed with the same kind of provisioning profile (being an app store provisioning profile), then you should still be able to use push notifications. Do you know what kind of provisioning profile is used for enterprise applications?
    My above post was assuming that you were doing an iOS app. Can you elaborate on "Enterprise app"?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

‏2012-10-18T18:34:30Z  
    My above post was assuming that you were doing an iOS app. Can you elaborate on "Enterprise app"?
    Let's talk about the iOS case for now.

Enterprise app means the apps are not uploaded to the app store and only deploy to employee. I don't think we can sign an enterprise app with a public app cert and then distribute it manually. The wizard doesn't even allow that in XCode.

If we sign with the Enterprise cert or the ad-hoc distribution cert, can we use push notification still? Thanks.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

‏2012-10-18T20:59:29Z  
    Let's talk about the iOS case for now.

Enterprise app means the apps are not uploaded to the app store and only deploy to employee. I don't think we can sign an enterprise app with a public app cert and then distribute it manually. The wizard doesn't even allow that in XCode.

If we sign with the Enterprise cert or the ad-hoc distribution cert, can we use push notification still? Thanks.
    With the ad-hoc cert, yes you can send push notifications as long as you have enabled push notifications for the "Production" section in your Itunes Provisioning profile.

Sorry I have no experience with the Enterprise cert but I don't see why Apple would prevent apps signed with the Enterprise cert when they allow push notifications for adhoc and development certs. Not 100% sure though.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

‏2012-10-24T20:46:26Z  
    With the ad-hoc cert, yes you can send push notifications as long as you have enabled push notifications for the "Production" section in your Itunes Provisioning profile.

Sorry I have no experience with the Enterprise cert but I don't see why Apple would prevent apps signed with the Enterprise cert when they allow push notifications for adhoc and development certs. Not 100% sure though.
    Just reading more on the apple website. looks like we can push notification with Enterprise Cert as well. Thanks.
  • LaksSundar
    LaksSundar
    13 Posts

‏2012-11-08T16:32:56Z  
    Just reading more on the apple website. looks like we can push notification with Enterprise Cert as well. Thanks.
    I tried the sample Push Notification on iOS. I was able to get the application deployed successfully and it appears inside Notifications menu. The App is able to subscribe to Push Notification too. However, when I try sending notifications I get the following message

Failed to send message com.notnoop.apns.EnhancedApnsNotification@6982d760... trying again

A further Google Search indicates that certificate is incorrect. I actually generated a Distribution Provisioning Profile, Production SSL Cert and exported the same in .p12 format (with private key) and stored it as apns-certificate-sandbox.p12 inside app folder. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!