• 11 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-29T06:17:57Z by SystemAdmin
nabilzahid
nabilzahid
3 Posts

Pinned topic Configure iSCSi interfaces ( daughter card ) DS3512

‏2012-10-16T13:02:28Z |
Hi all ,

We have a DS3512 dual controller and a 4 interfaces daughter card for iscsi .
we want to configure the iscsi network so we took the "IBM System Storage DS3500: Introduction and Implementation guide " do achieve that .
our problem is in the guide there some screen shot that show how to configure the interfaces , these menus shown on the screen shots are nonpresent on the DS Storage manager we have to administer the DS3512 !

we can see the daughter card in the system inventory , but we cannot use/configure the daughter card /interfaces .

for informations : we are using DS Storage manager 10.83.G5.18 version . and the DS firmeware is 07.83.22.00 .

i m not an expert but it been a hole day we tried to figure out how to configure these interfaces ,
we would apreciate any help ..
thanks in advance .
Updated on 2012-10-29T06:17:57Z at 2012-10-29T06:17:57Z by SystemAdmin
  • EmilioA
    EmilioA
    5 Posts

Re: Configure iSCSi interfaces ( daughter card ) DS3512

‏2012-10-16T17:46:34Z  
    You have two (2) networks to configure, the management one and the iscsi or san, the best way to do this is with vlans
    the iscsi/san network must be configured on a separated network from the lan one, for example
    LAN 10.50.14.x
    SAN 192.168.130.x

Them you must configure the HBA cards on servers on the same segment 192.168.130.x
    Make a correct subnet to limit the broadcast!

That it
    You can put the managenment on the same network as the lan, its not the best way but it will work

Good Luck
  • nabilzahid
    nabilzahid
    3 Posts

‏2012-10-16T17:57:43Z  
    • EmilioA
    • ‏2012-10-16T17:46:34Z
    You have two (2) networks to configure, the management one and the iscsi or san, the best way to do this is with vlans
    the iscsi/san network must be configured on a separated network from the lan one, for example
    LAN 10.50.14.x
    SAN 192.168.130.x

Them you must configure the HBA cards on servers on the same segment 192.168.130.x
    Make a correct subnet to limit the broadcast!

That it
    You can put the managenment on the same network as the lan, its not the best way but it will work

Good Luck
    Hi Emilio ,

thanks for your answer , but configuring iscsi network is not the problem !!

our problem is we can't found where to configure iscsi interfaces on the DS3512 using the Storage manager softwar !! we tried to do what described in the implementation guide but it dosent fit with what we have under our hands!! the configuration procédure are abouivsly not the same for the latest DS Storage manager or the latest firmware we have in the DS3512 array.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2012-10-16T18:03:40Z  
    Hi all,

I have the exact same problem with nabilzahid.

I cant configure any iSCSI, because the iSCSI Manage Settings or Configure iSCSI Host Ports on the Subsystem Management window is NOT available!!!

I read the whole manual of the installation for DS Storage Manager 10.8

"Note: The link to iSCSI Manage settings or Configure iSCSI Host Ports on the Subsystem Management window is available only for storage subsystems that support an iSCSI host attachment."

Although that my controller has iSCSI and its updated with the latest firmware. DS Storage dont show up the iSCSI Menu.

I would apreciate any help ..

thanks in advance .
  • Berniebgbb
    Berniebgbb
    83 Posts

‏2012-10-17T05:47:01Z  
    Hi all,

I cant configure any iSCSI, because the iSCSI Manage Settings or Configure iSCSI Host Ports on the Subsystem Management window is NOT available!!!

"Note: The link to iSCSI Manage settings or Configure iSCSI Host Ports on the Subsystem Management window is available only for storage subsystems that support an iSCSI host attachment."

Although that my controller has iSCSI and its updated with the latest firmware. DS Storage dont show up the iSCSI Menu.

thanks in advance .
    Hmm..

I wonder if this is the same problem we are seeing with the Fibre Channel Daughter cards.
    Basically the FC ports are "non functional" until multiple firmware flash's are performed on the base unit. Sometimes it take 2-4 flash's to get them to work....

If you have installed the Daughter Cards yourself and have not flashed the firmware multiple times (including NVRAM) I would recommend you do this...

Would be work running the support capture to see if it lists these hardware elements in the configuration...

Bernie.
  • Novikov_Alexander
    Novikov_Alexander
    1404 Posts

‏2012-10-17T05:49:21Z  
    Hi all,

thanks in advance .
    Dear Nabil, Michel,

this is bug in factory software version.
    The solution is easy - update storage firmware to the same version .

Regards,
    Alexander Novikov
    Russia, Moscow
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2012-10-24T09:44:20Z  
    Dear Nabil, Michel,

this is bug in factory software version.
    The solution is easy - update storage firmware to the same version .

Regards,
    Alexander Novikov
    Russia, Moscow
    Dear all,

We have similar problems for DS3524 storage with firmware 07.83.22.00 and DS Manager 10.83.G5.18.
    These are the latest possible versions.
    In DS manager there are info about two iSCSI controllers both with 4 ports but no section in DS Manager to configure them.

What can we do?
    Thanks in advance
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2012-10-24T10:26:41Z  
    Thank you the solution worked fine for me. I Flashed again the controllers with NVRAM and worked iSCSI menu in DS Storage.

Thank you again!
    Cheers!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2012-10-24T10:38:55Z  
    Thank you the solution worked fine for me. I Flashed again the controllers with NVRAM and worked iSCSI menu in DS Storage.

Thank you again!
    Cheers!
    Great to hear that,

Could you, please, tell us, did you flash the controllers firmware also?

Cheers
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2012-10-24T10:45:37Z  
    Great to hear that,

Could you, please, tell us, did you flash the controllers firmware also?

Cheers
    Yes Firmware and NVRAM. both
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2012-10-24T11:19:16Z  
    Yes Firmware and NVRAM. both
    Thank you Mr. Messaris,

Reflashing the firmware was the solution in our case.
    iSCSI is now available in DS Manager.

Cheers!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2012-10-29T06:17:57Z  
    I also have the same problem as the others. I'm also using the DS3500 with iSCSI daughter card and the iSCSI GUI is not visible in DS storage manager 10.83.x.