Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-20T20:56:15Z by Lhasadad
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
13279 Posts

Pinned topic Monitoring Parameters list - IBM Systems Director ?

‏2012-10-16T07:52:55Z |
Hi All,

From where i can get the all monitoring parameters (OS, H/W, Performance.. etc.) list that can be monitored by IBM Systems Director in a particular environment and monitoring parameters monitored by ISD for a particular resource in an ISD environment?
Regards, Rajesh
Updated on 2012-12-20T20:56:15Z at 2012-12-20T20:56:15Z by Lhasadad
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

Re: Monitoring Parameters list - IBM Systems Director ?

‏2012-10-18T06:24:12Z  
    Can anyone revert to this query please?
  • gcorneau
    gcorneau
    234 Posts

‏2012-10-18T15:06:55Z  
    So a few things:

1. There is no master list of resources to monitor. What can be monitored for a given object is determined by
    the objects, the protocol used to communicate with the object, etc.

You can view the resource monitors using the "lsresmon" smcli command:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/director/pubs/topic/com.ibm.director.cli.helps.doc/fqm0_r_cli_lsresmon.html

2. The above only covers monitors. Events can also be received from objects managed and it is open-ended as to what
    events can be recevied by the Systems Director server. Administrators can even use the generic event
    generator with the Common Agent to generate their own events.

Glen Corneau
    IBM Power Systems Advanced Technical Skills
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2012-12-19T16:10:21Z  
    • gcorneau
    • ‏2012-10-18T15:06:55Z
    So a few things:

1. There is no master list of resources to monitor. What can be monitored for a given object is determined by
    the objects, the protocol used to communicate with the object, etc.

You can view the resource monitors using the "lsresmon" smcli command:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/director/pubs/topic/com.ibm.director.cli.helps.doc/fqm0_r_cli_lsresmon.html

2. The above only covers monitors. Events can also be received from objects managed and it is open-ended as to what
    events can be recevied by the Systems Director server. Administrators can even use the generic event
    generator with the Common Agent to generate their own events.

Glen Corneau
    Thanks Glen

If this is the case then If my customer asks me what all parameters i would monitor for him on a managed system, i guess i would not be having a concrete answer to him :(

Regards
  • gcorneau
    gcorneau
    234 Posts

‏2012-12-19T16:35:40Z  
    Thanks Glen

If this is the case then If my customer asks me what all parameters i would monitor for him on a managed system, i guess i would not be having a concrete answer to him :(

Regards
    It's kind of like the customer asking you "what music should I listen to?" to which
    you'd reply "what music do you like?".

"What should I monitor?" falls in that same category in my opinion. Different customers
    care about different things.

Glen Corneau
  • RS_UK_HAL
    RS_UK_HAL
    190 Posts

‏2012-12-20T09:57:25Z  
    @ Rajesh-ISD:

If monitoring by using Service Processors alone, by virtue of discovering these in Systems Director, you will get the hardware alerts automatically.

If you want more than this, such as utilisation and thresholds, then you can install the Common Agent. There's no full list of everything but there are documents for the types of events generated. Furthermore, there's Event Automation and if you select another Filter, other than Simple Event Filter, you will notice the areas where events are generated.

For utilisation, look in Resource Monitor, Thresholds etc. And as stated to you, this does depend on the type of device you are monitoring.

As I stated above, on pure hardware, you'd get hardware events and not much else. On resources with Common Agent, you'd get the full compliment of alerts and monitoring capabilities.
  • Lhasadad
    Lhasadad
    108 Posts

‏2012-12-20T20:56:15Z  
    • RS_UK_HAL
    • ‏2012-12-20T09:57:25Z
    @ Rajesh-ISD:

If monitoring by using Service Processors alone, by virtue of discovering these in Systems Director, you will get the hardware alerts automatically.

If you want more than this, such as utilisation and thresholds, then you can install the Common Agent. There's no full list of everything but there are documents for the types of events generated. Furthermore, there's Event Automation and if you select another Filter, other than Simple Event Filter, you will notice the areas where events are generated.

For utilisation, look in Resource Monitor, Thresholds etc. And as stated to you, this does depend on the type of device you are monitoring.

As I stated above, on pure hardware, you'd get hardware events and not much else. On resources with Common Agent, you'd get the full compliment of alerts and monitoring capabilities.
    Good answer. Basically find out what is important for your customer and then you can focus on those items. there is also the platform agent that provides access to CIM based metrics and other CIM attribute values. for monitoring based on tracking data points there are items for CPU, Memory, Storage, Network available. also you can monitor processes with the common agent. (You need to set it up using the Manage Processes and Process Monitor tasks.

> RS_UK_HAL wrote:
    > @ Rajesh-ISD:
    >
    > If monitoring by using Service Processors alone, by virtue of discovering these in Systems Director, you will get the hardware alerts automatically.
    >
    > If you want more than this, such as utilisation and thresholds, then you can install the Common Agent. There's no full list of everything but there are documents for the types of events generated. Furthermore, there's Event Automation and if you select another Filter, other than Simple Event Filter, you will notice the areas where events are generated.
    >
    > For utilisation, look in Resource Monitor, Thresholds etc. And as stated to you, this does depend on the type of device you are monitoring.
    >
    > As I stated above, on pure hardware, you'd get hardware events and not much else. On resources with Common Agent, you'd get the full compliment of alerts and monitoring capabilities.