Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2012-10-18T16:58:00Z by rbwright
ricky1
ricky1
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic ISA 5 Feedback

‏2012-10-15T20:29:43Z |
We value your feedback about IBM Support Assistant 5. Please provide your input below. Thanks!

I just tried to use it for the first time. I like to use desktop tools over web tools. When I tried to use the Memory Analyzer desktop for the very first real memory dump I had, the java memory it is started with was way too small. Since this is started through Java WebStart and not as a standalone EXE I could find absolutely no way to tell it to start with a larger size.
Updated on 2012-10-18T16:58:00Z at 2012-10-18T16:58:00Z by rbwright
  • rbwright
    rbwright
    221 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: ISA 5 Feedback

‏2012-10-18T16:58:00Z  in response to ricky1
    Here's something I tried and it seemed to work. There are several attributes you can set for the Java runtime in the .jnlp file. (See the Java Web Start JNLP file syntax here: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/guide/javaws/developersguide/syntax.html.) There are two attributes related to controlling heap size: initial-heap-size and max-heap-size.

Here's how you can find the .jnlp file for Memory Analyzer desktop edition.
    1. Configure your browser to ask what to do when you try to open a JNLP file. For example, in Firefox go to "Help -> Options", select the Application tab on the Options window, and change the setting for "JNLP File" to "Always ask".
    2. Open the IBM Support Assistant 5 Tools tab.
    3. Select "Memory Analyzer (Desktop)" from the list of PD tools.
    4. Click the Launch button above the detailed description of the tool.
    5. Click Save on the browser popup asking you how you want to handle the file.
    6. Save the file with a .jnlp extension (e.g., ma.jnlp). The JNLP file contains XML.
    7. Use a utility such as the Linux xmllint command to format the JNLP file so that it's easier to read (e.g., "xmllint --format ma.jnlp > ma.lint.jnlp").
    8. Open the formatted jnlp file in a text editor and search for "j2se".
    9. Add the initial-heap-size attribute to the <j2se> element for your OS (e.g., <j2se version="1.6+" initial-heap-size="512m"/>).
    10. Save the modified JNLP file.
    11. Run the javaws command against the modified JNLP file (e.g., javaws ma.lint.jnlp).

When Memory Analyzer starts you'll see an indicator at the bottom of the UI showing how much memory is in use of the amount allocated. The allocated amount should closely match the value you set for initial-heap-size.
    Updated on 2012-10-18T16:58:00Z at 2012-10-18T16:58:00Z by rbwright