Topic
11 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-21T08:29:29Z by smart_dev
smart_dev
smart_dev
54 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Configuring WebSphere Portal default Dynacache to eXtreme Scale Dynacahce

‏2012-10-15T15:26:57Z |
Hi,

I am trying to configure WebSphere Portal 8.x Dynacache with eXtreme Scale8.5.x Dynacache provider. I have followed the infocenter documentation as per below section.
WebSphere eXtreme Scale Version 8.5 > Configuring > Configuring cache integration

Attached are my objectgrid.xml and deployment.xml files. I have also made necessary configurations as below on the Portal Server which has the client installed.

1. Enable the eXtreme Scale dynamic cache provider.
2. Configure the topology for the dynamic cache service. com.ibm.websphere.xs.dynacache.topology=remote
3. Configure the eXtreme Scale catalog service grid.
4. If you are using a remote topology, configure the eXtreme Scale container servers.

I have done this settings at the Portal Server level (i.e. for a base cache) and not the object Cache or other cache instances. When I login to the eXtreme Scale Monitor console, I am not seeing the grid defined for Dynacache or it's mapset and the maps. I am also not seeing any initialization messages or invoke messages in SystemOut.log of my Portal Server.

Am I missing anything here?

Appreciate a quick response.
Updated on 2013-03-21T08:29:29Z at 2013-03-21T08:29:29Z by smart_dev
  • smart_dev
    smart_dev
    54 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Configuring WebSphere Portal default Dynacache to eXtreme Scale Dynacahce

‏2012-10-15T15:27:50Z  in response to smart_dev
    Missed on the deployment.xml...Attached.
  • smart_dev
    smart_dev
    54 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-16T14:17:35Z  in response to smart_dev
    Made the same config settings to the Cache Instance (Object Cache)and it worked. Not sure why it was not working with Base Cache(Server level). Trying to find out the reason.
    • smart_dev
      smart_dev
      54 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-29T16:13:57Z  in response to smart_dev
      I am still not able to find why the base cache is not being off loaded to DYNACACHE_REMOTE grid?

Can somebody help me out here?

Thanks.
      • lisaw
        lisaw
        101 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-01T20:11:03Z  in response to smart_dev
        Hello! The deployment.xml you posted might have an error for the remote map.

<objectGrid name=
        "RemoteDynaCache" txTimeout=
        "30">

Should be this instead:

<objectGrid name=
        "DYNACACHE_REMOTE" txTimeout=
        "30">

DYNACACHE_REMOTE is the default name. There is a way to change the name but if you are having trouble, try the default first. It might also help you with other things with this recently published article, Tips and techniques for WebSphere eXtreme Scale DynaCache, you should take a look.

Also, you should be able to find your logs on the WebSphere client side when your WAS servers are starting.

Try that out and let us know if that helped.

• Lisa

Websphere eXtreme Scale Development
        • smart_dev
          smart_dev
          54 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-04T12:48:33Z  in response to lisaw
          Thanks Lisa for your reply. I am successfully able to offload my object cache to the grid but having following exceptions in the portal logs.

2/4/13 5:10:06:086 CST 00000000 CacheServiceI I DYNA1054I: Dynamic Cache (core cache) initialized successfully.
          2/4/13 5:10:06:093 CST 00000000 ObjectCacheSe I DYNA1056I: Dynamic Cache (object cache) initialized successfully.
          2/4/13 5:10:06:098 CST 00000000 CacheProvider I CWOBJ4500I: WebSphere eXtreme Scale Dynamic Cache provider is successfully initialized.
          2/4/13 5:10:06:099 CST 00000000 CacheProvider E CWOBJ4501E: The WebSphere eXtreme Scale Dynamic Cache provider encountered an error while creating the following cache instance: baseCache.
          2/4/13 5:10:06:112 CST 00000000 FfdcProvider W com.ibm.ws.ffdc.impl.FfdcProvider logIncident FFDC1003I: FFDC Incident emitted on /opt/IBM/WebSphere/wp_profile/logs/ffdc/WebSphere_Portal_84e2d82_13.02.04_05.10.06.1006681446924367775385.txt com.ibm.ws.objectgrid.dynacache.CacheProviderImpl.createCache 170
          2/4/13 5:10:06:113 CST 00000000 CacheProvider E CWOBJ4502E: Missing the following required configuration parameter: com.ibm.websphere.xs.dynacache.topology.
          2/4/13 5:10:06:114 CST 00000000 ServerCache E DYNA1066E: Unable to initialize the cache provider "com.ibm.ws.objectgrid.dynacache.CacheProviderImpl". The Dynamic cache will be used to create the cache instance "baseCache" instead of the configured cache provider.
          2/4/13 5:10:06:115 CST 00000000 ServerCache E ENGLISH ONLY MESSAGE: coreCache == null || featureSupport == null....Check FFDC logs for Exceptions
          2/4/13 5:10:06:127 CST 00000000 ServerCache I DYNA1001I: WebSphere Dynamic Cache instance named baseCache initialized successfully.
          2/4/13 5:10:06:127 CST 00000000 ServerCache I DYNA1071I: The cache provider "default" is being used.
          2/4/13 5:10:06:153 CST 00000000 ConfigManager I DYNA0062I: Successfully loaded cache-instances from configuration file /opt/IBM/WebSphere/wp_profile/properties/cachespec.xml.
          2/4/13 5:10:06:155 CST 00000000 ConfigManager I DYNA0047I: Successfully loaded cache-entries from cache configuration file /opt/IBM/WebSphere/wp_profile/properties/cachespec.xml.
          Can you please suggest what went wrong? I have configured same settings to the object cache instances as
          Application servers > WebSphere_Portal > Dynamic cache service
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            1485 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-04T17:43:15Z  in response to smart_dev
            This is the important message:
            2/4/13 5:10:06:113 CST 00000000 CacheProvider E CWOBJ4502E: Missing the following required configuration parameter: com.ibm.websphere.xs.dynacache.topology.
            You will need to add this custom property and set it to "remote".

In version 8.6 of WXS this is no longer required.
            • smart_dev
              smart_dev
              54 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-05T09:26:26Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Thanks JCK for your prompt reply. I have set the required custom property com.ibm.websphere.xs.dynacache.topology at the JVM level for Portal Server and it worked.

Still I am seeing one exception related to WCM Services.

====================
              2/5/13 2:48:54:634 CST 0000005f Connect E ********** Initialization failed. Shutting down. **********
              2/5/13 2:48:54:636 CST 0000005f Connect E com.ibm.workplace.wcm.services.WCMServiceUnavailableException: Message: IWKCT1397X: Problem cre
              ating service., Cause: com.ibm.websphere.objectgrid.ObjectGridRuntimeException: Invalidation failed for :id_ROOTWORKSPACEa9950bed-f49a-4fa6-b9d8-17
              9b6e2ec4b1
              java.lang.RuntimeException: com.ibm.workplace.wcm.services.WCMServiceUnavailableException: Message: IWKCT1397X: Pr
              oblem creating service., Cause: com.ibm.websphere.objectgrid.ObjectGridRuntimeException: Invalidation failed for :id_ROOTWORKSPACEa9950bed-f49a-4fa
              6-b9d8-179b6e2ec4b1
              at com.ibm.websphere.security.auth.WSSubject.doAs(WSSubject.java:205)
              at com.ibm.websphere.security.auth.WSSubject.doAs(WSSubject.java:152)
              at com.ibm.wps.services.authentication.impl.AuthenticationServiceImpl.executeImpersonate(AuthenticationServiceImpl.java:1394)
              at com.ibm.wps.services.authentication.impl.AuthenticationServiceImpl.runAsDomainAdministrator(AuthenticationServiceImpl.java:1358)
              at com.presence.connect.wmmcomms.AuthenticationUtils.runAsDomainAdmin(AuthenticationUtils.java:778)
              at com.presence.connect.Connect.init(Connect.java:540)
              at com.presence.connect.Connect.safeInit(Connect.java:231)
              at com.presence.connect.Connect.getInstance(Connect.java:205)
              at com.presence.connect.ConnectServlet.init(ConnectServlet.java:84)
              at com.ibm.ws.cache.servlet.ServletWrapper.init(ServletWrapper.java:238)
              at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.init(ServletWrapper.java:336)
              at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapperImpl.init(ServletWrapperImpl.java:168)
              at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.loadOnStartupCheck(ServletWrapper.java:1341)
              at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.doLoadOnStartupActions(WebApp.java:588)
              at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.commonInitializationFinally(WebApp.java:559)
              at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppImpl.initialize(WebAppImpl.java:421)
              at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebGroupImpl.addWebApplication(WebGroupImpl.java:88)
              at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.VirtualHostImpl.addWebApplication(VirtualHostImpl.java:169)
              at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WSWebContainer.addWebApp(WSWebContainer.java:749)
              at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WSWebContainer.addWebApplication(WSWebContainer.java:634)
              at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.component.WebContainerImpl.install(WebContainerImpl.java:422)
              at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.component.WebContainerImpl.start(WebContainerImpl.java:714)
              at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.start(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:1160)
              at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedApplicationImpl.fireDeployedObjectStart(DeployedApplicationImpl.java:1369)
              at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedModuleImpl.start(DeployedModuleImpl.java:638)
              at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedApplicationImpl.start(DeployedApplicationImpl.java:967)
              at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.startApplication(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:766)
              at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.start(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:2153)
              at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl.start(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:445)

Caused by: com.ibm.workplace.wcm.services.WCMServiceUnavailableException: Message: IWKCT1397X: Problem creating service., Cause: com.ibm.websphere.objectgrid.ObjectGridRuntimeException: Invalidation failed for :id_ROOTWORKSPACEa9950bed-f49a-4fa6-b9d8-179b6e2ec4b1
              at com.ibm.workplace.wcm.services.WCMServiceManager.newWCMService(WCMServiceManager.java:514)
              at com.ibm.workplace.wcm.services.WCMServiceManager$ServiceInfo.getService(WCMServiceManager.java:953)
              at com.ibm.workplace.wcm.services.WCMServiceManager.doGetService(WCMServiceManager.java:808)
              at com.ibm.workplace.wcm.services.WCMServiceManager.getService(WCMServiceManager.java:127)
              =========================

Please note that I have configured objectCache instances also with WXS dynacache grid. There are number of default object Cache instances comes with Portal. I have configured all of them to use WXS dynacache grid.

Thanks again.
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                1485 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-14T20:59:43Z  in response to smart_dev
                As per your latest update, you have configured all portal cache instances to use WXS as cache provider. There are many cache instances that should be kept local for performance reasons and not all of them are tested for replication and hence it is not recommended to enable replication for all cache instances.

The only cache instance that currently tested and supported for WXS provider is "processing" cache or also known as Advanced Cache.

I suggest to use default provider for all cache instances and use WXS for "processing" cache only.

Thanks,
                Rama