Topic
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-15T17:25:02Z by SantoshGaga
SantoshGaga
SantoshGaga
28 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Cog10FM-Publish dev & prod packages from same model by changing datasources

‏2012-10-11T18:01:02Z |
Hi Gurus,

I have a requirement to publish dev and prod versions of the package by changing the data sources in Cognos-10 framework manager(FM), so to say the package that would point to dev datasource would be name as XYZDEV and the one for prod would be XYZPROD.

I have both the logical connection names available under "Data Sources" column of the FM, per say XYZdevDS and XYZProdDS. Currently it points to the dev one. I want to point it to prod one before publishing to the prod environemnt. How can I do that?

Any reply will be appreciated!

Thanks,
S.
Updated on 2012-10-15T17:25:02Z at 2012-10-15T17:25:02Z by SantoshGaga
  • DanielWagemann
    DanielWagemann
    411 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Cog10FM-Publish dev & prod packages from same model by changing data source

‏2012-10-11T18:23:26Z  in response to SantoshGaga
    If your production and development databases are the same vendor, as they usually are. You could create a single data source with two connections. Connection one would point to the production database and connection two would point to the development database.

The connections could be secured using the Cognos Connection security model where dev users only have access to the dev DB and prod users to the prod DB. Model authors would have access to both and would be prompted to pick one upon opening the model.

This way you would have 1 model, 1 data source and 2 connections.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      15496 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Cog10FM-Publish dev & prod packages from same model by changing data source

‏2012-10-12T09:54:37Z  in response to DanielWagemann
      Hi Daniel,
      Your solution is much appreciated. Can you explain it in step by step detail? So that we can use of this option in future.

Thanks,
      Suresh.
      • DanielWagemann
        DanielWagemann
        411 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-12T11:57:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        As I don't know you exact scenario (For example I don't know whether you are trying to move to a different database with a different schema but the same table names) I can only provide you with the followign high level guidance.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cbi/v10r1m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.ug_fm.10.1.1.doc%2Ft_model_portability.html

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cbi/v10r1m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.ug_fm.10.1.1.doc%2Fc_workingwithdatasourceconnections.html
    • SantoshGaga
      SantoshGaga
      28 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-12T16:29:13Z  in response to DanielWagemann
      Thanks Daniel for your reply. But my requirement is to have two datasources pointing to DEV and PROD. I want to maintain only one model and have two datasources visible under 'data source' in project viewer and two package names unders package in the project viewer. Whenever there is a change in the model I will publish the package twice one for each environment by choosing the dev/prod connection from the datasource and dev/prod package names from the package list. Rightnow my model points to dev datasource. if I have to publish for prod, I should change the datasource to prod before publishing. How do I do that? Appreciate your time on this. thanks a lot!

S.
      • DanielWagemann
        DanielWagemann
        411 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-12T18:56:22Z  in response to SantoshGaga
        OK... so you have two data sources defined within IBM Cognos Connection, let's call them Dev and Prod. So you have gone ahead and imported all your tables from one of these data sources. I would assume Dev.

Now your model has all kinds of data source query subjects which say select * from Dev.TableName. When you look in the actual data source folder it would list a single data source, namely Dev. If you click on it the properties would display the Content Manager Data source, namely Dev.

The only way you would get two data sources is if you imported content from another data source defined within IBM Cognos Connection.

If the above is accurate, you could try changing the name of the data source under the data source folder from Dev to Prod and then clicking on it and changing the Content Manager data source property to Prod as well.

I have not tried this so you may want to backup the model before you do any of this.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          15496 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-12T20:25:27Z  in response to DanielWagemann
          The change in FM simple need to be to change the property value for the Content Manager Data Source under the data source object in the FM model. To use Daniel's example, you would just need to change Dev to Prod in the data source properties. Changing the data source object name in the FM model would only need to be done to make the change visible throughout the model but it doesn't change the actual data source being used.

However, I would recommend that look into setting up an actual separate Dev environment instead of putting both Dev and Prod into the same instance. The separation of these activities will ensure a more consistent user experience in the Prod environment because your users will not be competing for resources as your Dev team try to performance tune their reports. In this scenario your best option would be to use Daniel's first recommendation where one data source is used with different connection objects for the two different databases.
          • DanielWagemann
            DanielWagemann
            411 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-13T12:30:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            As you stated the data source name change is only visual, I had recommended it to avoid an confusion down the line when something goes wrong. I can just see it now, I am in the Dev package but the Cognos SQL generated says select * from Prod.TableName.

Quite honestly the original posts approach seems a bit off to me. I personally would have three different environments Prod, Dev and Test. If servers would be an issue I would either use the different connections or even create different models. (using the merge or action logs to promote the changes from Test to Dev to Prod.)
            • SantoshGaga
              SantoshGaga
              28 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-15T17:25:02Z  in response to DanielWagemann
              Thanks all for explaining. I found the soultion to the problem. S.