• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-12T20:37:17Z by Sri_XI50
Sri_XI50
Sri_XI50
23 Posts

Pinned topic MQ FSH Reuse ?

‏2012-10-11T04:47:52Z |
Hi,

I have a question on MQ FSH but don't have DP access, so got to trouble you :(...

1) My first question is on MQ FSH ( same datapower box ), Can we use the same MQ FSH for multilple MPGs ? Logically it will not be necessary to have to services read same MQ but just want to check if we can use. If we can use then, wont there be a conflict ?

2) Assume if I use the same FSH across different boxes, then how will MQ QMgr manages GETs from these FSHs ? Will it load balance ?

Thanks,
Sri.
Updated on 2012-10-12T20:37:17Z at 2012-10-12T20:37:17Z by Sri_XI50
  • swlinn
    swlinn
    1348 Posts

Re: MQ FSH Reuse ?

‏2012-10-11T13:49:17Z  
    1) Within a domain, the MQ FSH can only be referenced by one MPGW. You can of course have another FSH that listens to the same QM / Q.

2) MQ will know that it has multiple FSHs (either from the same domain or from different domains/appliances) with a GET operation on the request queue. I don't know the specific algorithm of how MQ satisfies these GETs, but it will share the workload across the FSHs, although I don't believe it is a nice round robin type of distribution.

Regards,
    Steve
  • Sri_XI50
    Sri_XI50
    23 Posts

‏2012-10-11T19:24:58Z  
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I understood that only one MPG should reference an MQ object. But why is that forced in DP ? As I understand, FSH has an QM object and the queues it listens to and puts to, what if another service( MPG ) wants to listen to the same Queue ( Same QM ) ? Why is that we have to create another FSH with a different name but same QM and Queues ?

Thank you,
    Sri.
  • swlinn
    swlinn
    1348 Posts

‏2012-10-11T21:53:44Z  
    • Sri_XI50
    • ‏2012-10-11T19:24:58Z
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I understood that only one MPG should reference an MQ object. But why is that forced in DP ? As I understand, FSH has an QM object and the queues it listens to and puts to, what if another service( MPG ) wants to listen to the same Queue ( Same QM ) ? Why is that we have to create another FSH with a different name but same QM and Queues ?

Thank you,
    Sri.
    The firmware does not allow you to use the same FSH in multiple MPGWs. One of your MPGWs will not come up and will show the error "unable to install on port". I'm not sure why you would want multiple DataPower services to listen to the same QM/Q. That would be like having a backend server that sometimes a request went to web service 1 and sometimes to web service 2. You don't need to do this for performance reasons, eg, having a duplicate MPGW service to share the load. Regardless, the workaround to doing what you are asking is to have different objects. The firmware does not check that multiple MQ FSHs happen to be referencing the same QM/Q, just that you're referencing a MQ FSH that isn't referenced by another service. Like I said, I don't think this makes sense within the same environment / domain, but it is doable.

Regards,
    Steve
  • Sri_XI50
    Sri_XI50
    23 Posts

‏2012-10-12T20:37:17Z  
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I completely agree with you that it wont' make sense to reuse MQ FSH to multiple services. But when I was attending an interview I was asked if we can reuse 'FSH' and I said no ( exception WSP ) he then asked me how about MQ FSH... then a ? popped up and a pause in my answering. So I was just clearing that question here.....

Thank you,
    Sri.