Pinned topic Can we upgrade directly from Maximo 6.2.3 to Maximo 7.5?
SystemAdmin 110000D4XK5842 Posts
Re: Can we upgrade directly from Maximo 6.2.3 to Maximo 7.5?2012-10-17T13:39:54ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.Not really.
- The first thing that you must to do is to update your Maximo 6.2.3 to the Maximo 6.2.8 level. as well as the Life Sciences/Calibration 6.x level must be updated to the 6.5 level, applying the latest hotfixes for these product versions;
- The next step would be install in another database, not the db to be upgraded, a Maximo 710 followed by Maximo 188.8.131.52 and Calibration/Life Sciences 7.1.2, applying the lastest hotfixes for these versions. This db can be discarded after the installation completed, but its required in order to the installers run properly. The only thing that you actually will use for the upgrade process is the 7.1.x folder itself.
- With the 7.1.x folder in place, you must change the maximo.properties file of this folder, mainly the db parameters, to point to you 6.x database to be upgraded;
- Then, you will start your upgrade process by using the upgradeui.bat tool under <MAXIMO_71x_FOLDER\tools\maximo\ folder. You will have to pass through the Integrity Checker, Validate and Upgrade tabs in order to complete this process;
- After completed, you must to run the updatedb.bat tool under the same folder above. At the end, your previous 6.x db will be at the Maximo 184.108.40.206+Calibratoin/Life Sciences 7.1.2 level. All the steps above are detailed in the Upgrade Guide which you can find here:
- Next step you will change the install.properties file of your 7.1.x folder to point to your just upgraded database (this information is in the upgrade guide under the chapter "Completing the Upgrade Process", which includes also an additional run of the Integrity Checker;
- At this point you can start to perform the upgrade process from 71x to 75x which is described in detail at this guide:
- Basically you will have to install MAM 7.5, then MAM 220.127.116.11, the latest MAM 7503 hotfix if available, Calibration/Life Science 7.5 and the latest hotfixes available for them, and all these installations without performing the updatedb and pointing to your 7.1.x folder (usually the installers do not perform the updatedb as default, but if the option to defer the updatedb and redeployment been displayed for any of these installers, it must to be selected). Finally, you run the MAM 7503 installer a second time, but this time, not defering the udpatedb, what will take the db from the 7.1.x level to the Maximo 7503+Calibratoin/Life Science 7.5 level.
- Next stepts as described in the guide include some queries related to Calibration to be executed and Integrity Checker runs before deploying Maximo in a supported application server and getting access to the applications.
Best practices includes performing a testing upgrade using a copy of the db in production, by using some Virtual Machine if possible, and taking screenshots or even database dumps after each step completed, so if any problem happens, you won't need to perform everything again.
Additional information, updates and news you can refer to the pages below:
Maximo Upgrade resources page: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21266217
Maximo Upgrade requirements matrix: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21440174
Additionally our IBM Maximo Upgrade QA team in the IBM Brazil Software Lab have been posting some tips about the Upgrade process based in our experience testing it, in the IBM developerWorks community, Maximo Asset Management blog under SMC. So fare we posted only two tips, but we just started. Here the links for the first tips that we posted:
Jean Carlos Ribeiro Gonçalves
IBM Maximo Upgrade Test Software Engineer (QA)
SatishThaokar 270001J10W13 Posts
Re: Can we upgrade directly from Maximo 6.2.3 to Maximo 7.5?2012-10-22T23:22:41ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.
- SystemAdmin 110000D4XK
visgnath 110000S6T12 Posts
Re: Can we upgrade directly from Maximo 6.2.3 to Maximo 7.5?2013-04-30T13:57:38ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.
Hi Admin,Thank you for the detailed instruction.Currently our customer having the setup of Maximo 6.2.3 with Calibration 6.4, Oracle 10G and WebSphere 6 in a 32-bit Windows 2003 Server. They would like to upgrade to Maximo 7.5 with Cal 7.5 on a new Virtual Server having Windows 2008 64-bit OS, WebSphere 7 and Oracle 11G. Since it is a new server build with all new environments, we would like to know the right methodology for this upgrade. Please update the right approach and below are different approach we are considering.1. Install Maximo 6.2.8 and cal 6.5 in the current server. Then install 7.11 and Cal 7.1 on the new server and run the upgrade utility to point the 6.2 environment and proceed with 7.5 upgrade ( in this case the DB version, Webspere version are different, so is this going to be an issue)2. Install fresh Maximo 7.5 with Cal 7.5 on the new server and do a data migration from 6.2.3 database to 7.5 DB (manual migration).Please suggest the best approach. If you feel any better approach, please update.ThanksViswanathviswanath.firstname.lastname@example.org
- SystemAdmin 110000D4XK
SoCalSun 270004FKBD562 Posts
Re: Can we upgrade directly from Maximo 6.2.3 to Maximo 7.5?2013-05-02T16:58:29ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.
Here is a presentation that goes into the details of upgrading from Maximo 4 all the way up to Maximo 7.5
Wish we had read this earlier. We made the mistake of installing WebSphere 6 on Maximo 7.1, when we could have installed WebSphere 7. This way, it would have been much easier to upgrade to Maximo 7.5 from there.
So, my advice is to install WebSphere 7 even on the Maximo 18.104.22.168.11 installation.