Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-06-21T17:38:25Z by Larry McCarthy
RandyJ.Miller
RandyJ.Miller
9 Posts

Pinned topic db2ckupgrade for LUW 10.1 will not connect to a database

‏2012-10-10T18:58:08Z |
I am trying to upgrade a Windows 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 server from LUW 9.7 to LUW 10.1. When running db2ckupgrade 3 of the 4 databases are accepted as ready to upgrade, but it will not connect to the 4th database.

I am able to connect to the database just fine manually and scheduled utilities run just fine againt the database.

I have tried DROP'ing and RESTORE'ing the database but still get the issue with db2chkupgrade.

I am getting the following message in the db2ckupgrade log file:

Version of DB2CKUPGRADE being run: VERSION "10.1"

Database: "xxxxDEV"

DBT5509N The db2ckupgrade utility failed because it could not connect to the database. Database: "xxxxDEV".

DBT5529N The db2ckupgrade utility did not complete successfully. The database cannot be upgraded. The output log file is named "d:\rjm\checkupgrade10-10.txt".
I need to find the cause of the connection failure so that I can address the issue and move on with the upgrade.

Is there a log I can review to find out why the connection is failing in db2ckupgrade? Lacking that, I would appreciate knowing how db2ckupgrade is connecting, i.e., user and password.

Thanks,
RJM
Updated on 2012-10-11T16:20:14Z at 2012-10-11T16:20:14Z by RandyJ.Miller
  • nivanov1
    nivanov1
    231 Posts

Re: db2ckupgrade for LUW 10.1 will not connect to a database

‏2012-10-11T15:06:47Z  
    Is the failing database remote, by chance? db2ckupgrade only works for local databases.

If you take time to read the manual, you will find how to specify the user name and password, as well as the location of the utility log file.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v10r1/topic/com.ibm.db2.luw.admin.cmd.doc/doc/r0002028.html
  • RandyJ.Miller
    RandyJ.Miller
    9 Posts

Re: db2ckupgrade for LUW 10.1 will not connect to a database

‏2012-10-11T16:20:14Z  
    • nivanov1
    • ‏2012-10-11T15:06:47Z
    Is the failing database remote, by chance? db2ckupgrade only works for local databases.

If you take time to read the manual, you will find how to specify the user name and password, as well as the location of the utility log file.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v10r1/topic/com.ibm.db2.luw.admin.cmd.doc/doc/r0002028.html
    Thanks for the referral to the IBM documentation for the password parameters. That was my bad in working from am IBM document which did not include the -u -p parameters. I guess I should have known better to look elsewhere when the footnotes on the db2ckupgrade instruction in the document said "No database connection is required".

I already had the log file from db2ckupgrade which was included in the first posting and was of no use in explaining the exact cause of the failure to connect. I was hoping there was somewhere else I could find the exact reason for the connection failure.

Specifying the username and password in the parms solved the problem. I still would like to know why the this database has a password issue with db2ckupgrade, but it may just remain as one of the mysteries of life.

Thanks,
    RJM
  • Larry McCarthy
    Larry McCarthy
    1 Post

db2ckupgrade for LUW 10.5 has problems, too

‏2014-06-21T17:38:25Z  

On Linux - CentOS (posing as RHEL) 6.5, it took me several tries to get db2chkupgrade to run at all against a 9.7 DB. Finally:

• Run as the instance owner (e.g., su - db2inst1), do not specify -u and -p
    • You must specify a log file
    • After the command completes, good luck finding the log file. # find / -name the_log_file.log finally turned it up under unpack_dir/server/db2/linuxamd64/utilities/db2ckupgrade/bin/

I hope I save somebody the brick wall imprints in their foreheads. Sheesh.