Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-25T11:30:41Z by berkum
berkum
berkum
6 Posts

Pinned topic Activating tracing code entry and exit points

‏2012-10-09T18:27:02Z |
Based on the documentation on "Entry and exit point tracing facility".

I have stopped all services.

I have edited common.properties file in etc/default and set "trace=on".

I have also set the level to "debug" in log.xml for appender TRACING.

I have restarted all services.

Went around a littre bit in the application in order to generate logs.

All my trace.log files still show a size of 0 bytes.

What other thing do I have to do in order to activate these logs ?

(Using IBM InfoSphere Master Data Management Server for Product Information Management Version 9.1.0)

Txs
Updated on 2012-10-25T11:30:41Z at 2012-10-25T11:30:41Z by berkum
  • KaranBal
    KaranBal
    108 Posts

Re: Activating tracing code entry and exit points

‏2012-10-11T00:34:04Z  
    I assume you are referring to this link about tracing: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/pim/v9r1m0/topic/com.ibm.pim.trb.doc/pim_tsk_ts_tracingentryexitpnts.html

I have never used trace.log myself but as per the documentation, your set up should work. Trace.log is a pretty old feature, and it is possible that it may not work any more, in which case please open a PMR if you are convinced they should be.
    But why are you trying to generate trace.log? If you need more detailed logging, just change the other appenders to "debug" and analyze the issue. If there is a specific event information that you think does not fit into normal categories like db.log, exception.log, then that will show up in default.log. Is there a specific reason, you are trying to turn on tracing?
  • berkum
    berkum
    6 Posts

‏2012-10-11T12:02:46Z  
    • KaranBal
    • ‏2012-10-11T00:34:04Z
    I assume you are referring to this link about tracing: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/pim/v9r1m0/topic/com.ibm.pim.trb.doc/pim_tsk_ts_tracingentryexitpnts.html

I have never used trace.log myself but as per the documentation, your set up should work. Trace.log is a pretty old feature, and it is possible that it may not work any more, in which case please open a PMR if you are convinced they should be.
    But why are you trying to generate trace.log? If you need more detailed logging, just change the other appenders to "debug" and analyze the issue. If there is a specific event information that you think does not fit into normal categories like db.log, exception.log, then that will show up in default.log. Is there a specific reason, you are trying to turn on tracing?
    Hello Karan.

I am referring exactly to the link you post.

We are having considerable performance problems. Installing a profiler seems somehow complicated (compared to any other web app). I was hoping that by activating this tracing, it would at least point me some of the problems.

I guess my next step will be to setup the profiler since the tracign function doesn't seem to work.

Txs.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    648 Posts

‏2012-10-11T12:14:37Z  
    • berkum
    • ‏2012-10-11T12:02:46Z
    Hello Karan.

I am referring exactly to the link you post.

We are having considerable performance problems. Installing a profiler seems somehow complicated (compared to any other web app). I was hoping that by activating this tracing, it would at least point me some of the problems.

I guess my next step will be to setup the profiler since the tracign function doesn't seem to work.

Txs.
    Hi,

Maybe $TOP/bin/pimSupport.sh -t start and $TOP/bin/pimSupport.sh -t stop -p my_logs will help you to gather detail information
  • srsalix
    srsalix
    1 Post

‏2012-10-11T12:24:50Z  
    Some base questions:
    • what MDMCS version are you on
    • did performance problems arise once in a sudden or after some specific implementation step
    • have you done basic configuration check with respect to Database and configuration parameters
    • have you enabled automatic statistic collection
    • do you run old version maintenance scripts on a regular basis
    • have you checked cache hit ratios, especially for spec cache ? ==> should be well above 95%
    • if you know a peculiar step is slow, you might enable MDMCS internal profiling
    • alternatively check out: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/tools/healthcenter/
  • berkum
    berkum
    6 Posts

‏2012-10-25T11:30:41Z  
    • srsalix
    • ‏2012-10-11T12:24:50Z
    Some base questions:
    • what MDMCS version are you on
    • did performance problems arise once in a sudden or after some specific implementation step
    • have you done basic configuration check with respect to Database and configuration parameters
    • have you enabled automatic statistic collection
    • do you run old version maintenance scripts on a regular basis
    • have you checked cache hit ratios, especially for spec cache ? ==> should be well above 95%
    • if you know a peculiar step is slow, you might enable MDMCS internal profiling
    • alternatively check out: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/tools/healthcenter/
    Hi,
    sorry for the delay.

• what MDMCS version are you on : 9.1
    • did performance problems arise once in a sudden or after some specific implementation step : as I was told, it has been there forever
    • have you done basic configuration check with respect to Database and configuration parameters : yes
    • have you enabled automatic statistic collection : yes
    • do you run old version maintenance scripts on a regular basis : yes
    have you checked cache hit ratios, especially for spec cache ? ==> should be well above 95% : yes
    if you know a peculiar step is slow, you might enable MDMCS internal profiling
    alternatively check out: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/tools/healthcenter/
    • have looked at this but as I am used to yourkit java profiler and the fact that we do have licenses, will try with this first.
    Thank you.