• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-10T14:57:43Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
430 Posts

Pinned topic poller processes

‏2012-10-09T16:20:50Z |
Hi

I just wanted to know if it is normal, when you stop itnm processes (itnm_stop), that the poller processes continue present; although if I do a itnm_status it indicated that no processes are running.

And every time I stop the ITNM i have to kill those processes manually, since this processes never end.
Is this a normal behaviour from the ITNM?

Regards
Updated on 2012-10-10T14:57:43Z at 2012-10-10T14:57:43Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    430 Posts

Re: poller processes

‏2012-10-09T21:32:53Z  
    Sorry I forgot to put, what I'm looking on my server, I hope it helps to understand my question
    root@itnmsvr precision# itnm_stop
    root@itnmsvr precision#
    root@itnmsvr precision#
    root@itnmsvr precision# itnm_status
    OMNIbus:
    is not installed on this system.
    Network Manager:
    ncp_ctrl NOT RUNNING
    Tivoli Integrated Portal:
    is not installed on this system.

root@itnmsvr precision# ps ax | grep ncp
    8316 ? Ss 0:54 ncp_brokerd broker_1883.cfg /opt/IBM/tivoli/netcool/log/precision/ncp_brokerd_1883.log
    12655 ? Ssl 7:22 ncp_poller -domain GSALINAS -latency 100000 -debug 1 -messagelevel warn -logdir /opt/IBM/tivoli/netcool/log/precision -tracefd 0
    12656 ? Ssl 1:56 ncp_poller -domain GSALINAS -latency 100000 -debug 1 -messagelevel warn -name ncp_poller_2 -logdir /opt/IBM/tivoli/netcool/log/precision -tracefd 0
    12657 ? Ssl 3:32 ncp_poller -domain GSALINAS -latency 100000 -debug 1 -messagelevel warn -name ncp_poller_3 -logdir /opt/IBM/tivoli/netcool/log/precision -tracefd 0
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    430 Posts

‏2012-10-09T21:51:32Z  
    hi !

unfortunately yes. We see this really often. Other processes as well. We have written our own wrapper script to make sure everything is killed.

Carsten
  • DietgerBahn
    DietgerBahn
    14 Posts

‏2012-10-10T05:26:06Z  
    hi !

unfortunately yes. We see this really often. Other processes as well. We have written our own wrapper script to make sure everything is killed.

Carsten
    I need to add, the same behavior for the TIP eWAS (ITNM GUI/Topoviz) Java and TCR Java process. The 'itnm_stop tip' wrapper just times out if not able to clean stop it. You rather should make sure, the TIP eWAS Java process starts and stops successfully via it's own 'stopServer.sh/startServer.sh server1 -username foo -password foo'. Verify before starting you don't have the 'server1.pid' file left in '/opt/IBM/tivoli/tipv2/profiles/TIPProfile/logs/server1/'. But notice: you need to start the TIP eWAS (ITNM GUI/Topoviz) via 'itnm_start tip', because it starts the TCR Cognos Java process in addition. The 'startServer.sh' would ony start the TIP eWAS process itself without the TCR Cognos process. 'startServer.sh' stopServer.sh' are only to verify a clean start and stop of the TIP eWAS Java process itself.

I've recognized failed started TIP eWAS Java including the TCR Cognos Java process if customers generated related init scripts but missed to configure the 'tipadmin' user and password within the 'tip_server.sh' file. During a 'stopServer.sh' the TIP eWAS prompts for user and password. And if it gets stopped via init scripts, it seems it does not get cleaned stopped.

Addtl. notice: The file 'tip_server.sh' gets overwritten by the Fix Pack 2. You might need to add tipuser and tippassword again here.

HTH and regards,
    Dietger
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    430 Posts

‏2012-10-10T14:57:43Z  
    hi !

Carsten
    Gee, i was afraid of that... well i hope they can fix it in some of the fixpacks or at least on the next version of itnm.

Thank you for your help CarstenZimmermann and
    DietgerBahn :)