5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-08T06:42:46Z by SystemAdmin
DeepakMDBT
DeepakMDBT
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Unable to run/open the dump file in IBM ISA workbench

‏2012-10-09T12:40:22Z |
Hi,

One of our application is deployed in production server which is a WPS 6. Recently we received some heapdump files which was generated by the server crash. We are eagerly looking into the dump file (both .phd and javacore files) for the jvm heap analysis. For this we have downloaded IBM Support Assistance Workbench 4.1.2(Windows) and have updated the workbench with add on plug-ins for IBM HeapAnalyzer and dumpanalyzer for java.

The production dump file generated is having size of 256 mb.The point to mention here is , we have never used this tool before. We tried certain scenario's to analyze the dump.

1- First we lunched IBM Thread and Monitor Dump Analyzer from ISA workspace . Then we imported the dump file and after running some time we came across a pop up like "Cannot find any thread dump in heap dump 14352486.1348663309.php ".

2- Then we lunched IBM HeapAnalyzer tool from ISA workspace and browsed the dump file. After running some time we got into an "out of memory err" popup msg.

The Stack Trace seen was
JVMDUMP006I Processing dump event "systhrow", detail "java/lang/OutOfMemoryError" - please wait.
JVMDUMP007I JVM Requesting Snap dump using 'C:/Documents and Settings/mamgupta/MAMGUPTA/logs\Snap.20121009.165119.1212.0001.trc'
JVMDUMP010I Snap dump written to C:/Documents and Settings/mamgupta/MAMGUPTA/logs\Snap.20121009.165119.1212.0001.trc
JVMDUMP007I JVM Requesting Heap dump using 'C:/Documents and Settings/mamgupta/MAMGUPTA/logs\heapdump.20121009.165119.1212.0002.phd'
JVMDUMP010I Heap dump written to C:/Documents and Settings/mamgupta/MAMGUPTA/logs\heapdump.20121009.165119.1212.0002.phd
JVMDUMP007I JVM Requesting Java dump using 'C:/Documents and Settings/mamgupta/MAMGUPTA/logs\javacore.20121009.165119.1212.0003.txt'
JVMDUMP010I Java dump written to C:/Documents and Settings/mamgupta/MAMGUPTA/logs\javacore.20121009.165119.1212.0003.txt
JVMDUMP013I Processed dump event "systhrow", detail "java/lang/OutOfMemoryError".

As we have mentioned that we are new to this tool , so are we using wrong steps to do the analyzing. I have attached a document for the complete error screens that we observed , Which might help you for your reference.
Some guidance will be appreciated.
Many Thanks
Updated on 2012-11-08T06:42:46Z at 2012-11-08T06:42:46Z by SystemAdmin
  • r465t
    r465t
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Unable to run/open the dump file in IBM ISA workbench

‏2012-10-29T13:30:14Z  in response to DeepakMDBT
    Hi,

1. Thread and Monitor Dump Analyzer does not accept heapdump files as input. It only accepts javacore (java dump) files.

2. The max heapsize is specified in the java command line section of the plugin manifest for the HeapAnalyzer tool.

Open this file for editing (version of the plugin may differ):
    <user_workspace>\applications\eclipse\plugins\com.ibm.esupport.tool.heapanalyzer_4.3.4.00\plugin.xml
    where <user_workspace> is usually:
    Windows: the value of the USERPROFILE environment variable (eg. c:\Users\myuserid )
    Linux: the value of $HOME

In this file, look for the line:
    <standalone_tool commandLine="&quot;$ISA_JVM$&quot; -Xmx1024M -jar ha.jar $heapDumpFile$" />
    Change the value for max heap to whatever is needed.
  • rbwright
    rbwright
    208 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-30T17:29:02Z  in response to DeepakMDBT
    Hi Deepak,

Here are some answers to your questions.

1. Thread and Monitor Dump Analyzer (TMDA) operates on javacores rather than heap dumps. That is why you saw the message about not being able to find any threads in the heap dump. Make sure you're analyzing a javacore file.

2. There are several possible solutions to the OutOfMemory (OOM) exception. Heap dump analysis is resource intensive, so it often requires a large amount of RAM to perform its work. If there is not enough available memory on the system or the heap space allocated for running the tool is too small then you might see OOM when analyzing large heap dumps. You could try some of the following to solve this problem.

2.a. Increase the heap size for the HeapAnalyzer tool. You can do this by changing the value of the -Xmx argument in the HeapAnalyzer plugin.xml file. See this forum post regarding a similar problem with PMAT for information on changing the heap size: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14682001. For HeapAnalyzer you need to edit the plugin.xml file located in the com.ibm.esupport.tool.heapanalyzer_4.3.4.00 directory. (The numbers at the end might be different.)

2.b. Try the IBM Monitoring and Diagnostic Tools for Java - Memory Analyzer tool. It's available as both a 32-bit and 64-bit application. For very large heap dumps (gigabytes in size) you need to use the 64-bit version.

2.c. Make sure the system where you're running the heap analysis tool has sufficient available RAM. If there isn't much memory installed then you could try shutting down some other applications before performing heap analysis.

Regards,
    Russell
    Updated on 2012-10-30T17:29:02Z at 2012-10-30T17:29:02Z by rbwright
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    642 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-07T14:24:06Z  in response to DeepakMDBT
    Hi,

I have configured WAS6.1 running in the window box(32 bit). I like to install IBM Support Assistance Workbench 4.1.2(Windows) to analyse heap dump files.

Do the IBM Support Assistance Workbench 4.1.2(Windows) support in WAS6.1(Windows Box)?
    How to install it?
    Heap Dumper Analyser tool VS IBM Support Assistance Workbench 4.1.2(Windows) - which is best and why do we have two tools to analyse Heap dumper files?
    Can you pls help me?
    • rbwright
      rbwright
      208 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-07T17:43:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Naresh,

The IBM Support Assistant (ISA) workbench is a troubleshooting platform that offers several problem determination tools. With it you can install tools for debugging Java application problems, WebSphere problems, and problems you might encounter with other software. With regard to Java heap dump analysis there are several PD tools available for ISA: Memory Analyzer (32-bit and 64-bit), Interactive Diagnostic Data Explorer (IDDE), HeapAnalyzer, and Memory Dump Diagnostic for Java (MDD4J). There are multiple heap dump analysis tools available because different user communities prefer to use different tools. Of these only Memory Analyzer is officially supported. The others are offered as-is.

You can find a complete list of the PD tools available for ISA V4 here: http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27013116 .

See the ISA download page for information about installing and using the ISA 4.1 workbench. Note that there is a beta release of ISA 5 available, too.

Regards,
      Russell
      Updated on 2012-11-07T17:43:00Z at 2012-11-07T17:43:00Z by rbwright
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        642 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-08T06:42:46Z  in response to rbwright
        Thanks for your valuable information and quick response!