Topic
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-24T14:34:01Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
5842 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic SCCD 7.5 Entry Edition - missing start centers and groups

‏2012-10-09T09:30:42Z |
After installing SCCD 7.5 Entry Edition on Linux (SUSE 11 and Red Hat 5.x) and login with maxadmin, receive a message "You do not have any Start Centers configured. Please contact your System Adminsitrator". A check of the installation logs do not show any errors during install. A similar install of SCCD 7.5 (not the entry edition) has the expected Start Centers and groups configured. Is this working as "designed" or is there some problem with the SCCD 7.5 Entry Edition installation process?

Orb Data Limitedhttp://www.orb-data.com
Updated on 2012-10-24T14:34:01Z at 2012-10-24T14:34:01Z by SystemAdmin
  • maxmix
    maxmix
    83 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: SCCD 7.5 Entry Edition - missing start centers and groups

‏2012-10-09T10:00:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi welcome.
    In a nutshell: Works as designed.
    You start out with a user that has the power to assign all rights, however with none yet.
    Therefore your roundtrip through the goto menu will quickly take you to the two applications (users, security groups) that you need to use.
    In User you elevate MAXADMIN by Authorize Group Reassignement to be able to assign anything.
    In Security Groups you start by elevating MAXADMIN Security Group to allow all for all Applications. Keep in mind that within the wealth of options there are a few portlet specific options that have a "deny/hide" character while everything else is grant style.

Cheers,
    maxmix
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-09T12:32:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Thanks for the reply.

I just wanted to check that I hadn't missed anything especially as the full SCCD version does configure the Start Centers, groups, roles etc. I thought that it was strange that the Starter Edition does not do so.

Orb Data Limited http://www.orb-data.com
  • JeremyGibson
    JeremyGibson
    8 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-09T13:21:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    IBM SmartCloud Control Desk installation is designed to give you all the tools to configure the product but does not come pre-configured. In both Entry and "Full" a new installation will have this clean slate. If you installed the "Full" edition and have Start Centers then you in all likelihood installed the Optional Content from the Launchpad. This is sample configurations that include Start Centers, Security Groups, sample Users, etc. If this was your intent because you want to see samples as you determine what your own configurations might be there should be a panel in the Entry Edition Launchpad that will install Optional Content for the applications included in that edition.

Alternatively, you can take the clean slate installation and add more production-ready configurations by using the ISM Content Installer application (GoTo - System Configuration - ISM Content Installer). The included source points to the IBM ISM Library and packs associated with IBM SmartCloud Control Desk. There is a demo pack which you will likely ignore, but there is also a Process Content Pack - Service Catalog. This pack also includes Start Centers, Security Groups, Escalations, Queries, Catalogs, and Offerings to jump-start a Service Catalog deployment. It does NOT include any sample data such as users. The documentation available from within the pack describes in detail the installation process, what content is included and how to use it once installed.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      5842 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-09T14:51:38Z  in response to JeremyGibson
      You are correct in saying that I used the launchpad to install both the full SCCD and the SCCD-EE versions, but in neither case did I install the Optional Content (I have gone back and checked my documentation to make sure!). The "Full" version does not have the clean slate that you mention, which is why I asked the question about the Entry Edition as it seemed to me inconsistent that the SCCD-EE did have the clean slate, whilst the "full" version had the Start Centers, etc. preconfigured.

Looking at the screenshots I took during the installation of both versions it seems that the default "Full" installation installs "IBM SmartCloud Control Desk Advanced Edition Content", whereas the default installation of the Entry Edition does NOT install the "IBM SmartCloud Control Desk Entry Edition Content" - this is only installed when you select the "Optional Content" that you mention. I wonder if this difference is why the "Full" version has the Start Centers, etc, but the Entry Edition does not?

• schaubach
        schaubach
        5 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-09T17:46:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        The Full edition of SCCD 7500 does separate out the Optional Content. I attached a screen shot of the launch pad of the Full Edition, that shows a separate install action to install the Optional Content.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          5842 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-09T19:43:07Z  in response to schaubach
          I agree that installation of the "Optional Content" is listed seperately on the launchpad, but as I said in my earlier reply "I did NOT install the Optional Content" for either installation (Full or Entry Edition). As can be seen by the attached screenshot, when I attempted to install the Optional Content for the SCCD Advanced Edition it is already present, but it was not listed on the initial installationas "to be deployed"

• SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            5842 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-10T07:21:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Installing the "Optional Content" on the SCCD-EE provides the "missing" Start Centers, groups, etc. It is at best confusing as to why this is "automatically" installed for the Full edition, but not for the Entry Edition.

• SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              5842 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-24T14:34:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              The Optional Content had been installed for the SCCD Full Edition by another person, which is why the Start Centers were present for that installation.