• 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-08T00:44:28Z by SystemAdmin
5 Posts

Pinned topic Report Studio: The meaning of "automatic" in aggregate function

‏2012-10-07T17:21:49Z |
Hallo everyone,

in the documentation of IBM Cognos Report Studio stated, that the automatic setting of aggregate function for a data element would mean, that Cognos will decide by itself -depending on the data type- which aggregation to be implemented.

My question:
What does the term "data type" mean?
Are there any differences if the data element is a list or a crosstab?
I tried to aggregate an "average" on a column in a list. At the beginning, it didnt give me the average. Until I change the setting of the aggregate function to "automatic". Why is it like that?

Thank you and regards,
Updated on 2012-10-08T00:44:28Z at 2012-10-08T00:44:28Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    15496 Posts

Re: Report Studio: The meaning of "automatic" in aggregate function

"data type" refers to a property of the column which defines the sort of information contained within the column. Examples of data types are:
    • integer
    • bigint
    • decimal
    • double
    • varchar
    • date

Typically, numeric data types will be aggregated with a sum and other data types will be aggregated using a minimum for the groupings in your report. The application of these rules depends on the usage of the model item being set to Fact in the Framework Manager model. Attributes will all be aggregated with a minimum regardless of the data type. Query items defined as Identifiers will not be aggregated; they will be grouped.

There should not be any difference if you use a list or a crosstab. However, there may be differences depending on where you put an item in a crosstab.

As for your average calculation, I can't tell from your message how you have defined or used the calculation in your report. It would be helpful to provide some additional information. See the following link for some tips on providing this information: