Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-12T06:02:52Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7615 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to kill the Parent window from a child window

‏2012-10-05T20:43:10Z |
Hi,

I wanted to kill a parent window from the child(popup) window using javascript. Anybody knows can help me on this please.
Updated on 2012-10-12T06:02:52Z at 2012-10-12T06:02:52Z by SystemAdmin
  • kolban
    kolban
    3315 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to kill the Parent window from a child window

‏2012-10-05T23:31:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    What technology are you using to create child windows? What release of the IBM BPM product are you using?

Neil
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      7615 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-06T00:27:38Z  in response to kolban
      Hi,

I am using a basic javascript call to open a popup window and currently working on 7.2 version.

it is opening a popup window when i click on a click using window.open function, but my requirement is i need to kill the parent window whenever i close the child window.
      • kolban
        kolban
        3315 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-06T03:54:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Is the "parent" window a BPM Coach? How would you "kill it" if BPM were not involved?

Neil
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          7615 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-06T11:51:24Z  in response to kolban
          The parent window is the teamworks coach and the child window is also the teamworks coach.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            7615 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-09T13:29:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Can anyone please help me on this.
            • kolban
              kolban
              3315 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-09T15:20:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              From my perspective, when a question is posed, a potential responder should not have to work really hard to understand the question. You are far less likely to get good responses from volunteer folks out here on our community with brief descriptions of a problem. The more time that you spend on describing the problem, the more time and effort responders will spend on a good answer.

Be as verbose and descriptive as possible, include diagrams and attachments as needed (with explanations). Assume that readers of your post have no background knowledge and no absolutely nothing about the background area.

I would suggest spending a minimum of 10 solid minutes writing a question to be posted to the forum.

Neil
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              7615 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-09T21:15:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              I agree with Neil. However I will point out that what you are asking (as he implied with his earlier answer) is not a BPM question, but rather just a client side HTML/Javascript question. I googled "javascript close parent window from child window" and saw a number of good leads for an answer. If those aren't working for you, it would be helpful to tell us what you have tried and what troubleshooting steps you performed when it didn't work.

For many of these types of things I actually just write the raw HTML/JS on my local box and test it in a browser to prove to myself 1) It is possible to do. 2) I understand how it is done. Then look to trying to do it within the context of a coach.

Andrew Paier | Director of Special Operations | BP3 Global, Inc. www.bp-3.com
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              7615 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-12T06:02:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Agreed with Neil and Andrew.To close a parent window from a Child window simply write this

window.opener.close();