Topic
No replies
PavankumarM
PavankumarM
6 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Tandem COBOL to Enterprise COBOL

‏2012-10-05T05:47:10Z |
For one of our customers running HP-Tandem COBOL , we are proposing migration to Enterprise COBOL on Mainfrma e , do we have any utilities / Tools to convert Tandem COBOL with into IBM Enterprise Cobol on zOS
Updated on 2012-10-09T13:09:53Z at 2012-10-09T13:09:53Z by BillWoodger
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    403 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Tandem COBOL to Enterprise COBOL

‏2012-10-05T13:10:46Z  in response to PavankumarM
    Hello Pavan,
    I recently helped a customer migrate from Tandem to AIX COBOL which as you know is the same front end. The AIX COBOL compiler has a regular expression tool called scu (Source Conversion Utility) that at least gets the margins and line lengths correct so that the IBM COBOL compiler can recognize it.
    Tandem allows copying in sections of a file. So the customer wrote their own awk script to split up the copied file into indivual files that can be copied in by the IBM COBOL compiler.
    Additionally there are some unique Tandem system APIs that we had to convert to call AIX system calls and you would probably need HLASM for.

Edmund Reinhardt
  • BillWoodger
    BillWoodger
    118 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-05T22:49:37Z  in response to PavankumarM
    It does depend somewhat on how the Tandem Cobol is coded. Edmund has already pointed to the main problems you'll encounter (TAL and GUARDIAN calls, COPY with looonnnnggg copybook names). Some others might be: "hard-coded" dataset names; "tab characters" on print-lines (yes, to actually "tab" to the position on the line for printing); some pesky LABEL statements and possible other probleems with FD; source/object computer; an extra section in the DATA DIVISION, EXTENDED-STORAGE; difference on OPEN statement (you might find SHARED); ENTER (as in ENTER language); low-values (or other non-numeric figurative constants) can be MOVEd to numeric fields; FILE-STATUS in Enterprise Cobol is strictly defined - not so in Tandem.

Of course, you might not get all of these, and you may get more. The Cobol itself is pretty old, '78 I think - so that might get you some more problems, depending on what else Tandem allowed and Enterprise Cobol doesn't now.

This is for batch programs. AWK was my weapon of choice as well :-)

If you have "online" programs you are talking SCOBOL (Screen Cobol) vs CICS or whatever, and that will be a big heap of work. Write from scratch using the Tandem as a specification, rather than convert those, I think.

I did find a set of PDFs for Tandem Cobol manuals on the Internet. A quick hit of the TOC and INDEX might get you to potential language-difference problems.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      403 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-09T08:39:43Z  in response to BillWoodger
      Thanks Edmund and Bill,

On the issue of Guardian procedure calls, do you know of anything similar on the z/OS COBOL side?

Regards
      Ram
      • BillWoodger
        BillWoodger
        118 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-09T13:09:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I think it will depend entirely on what is used in your target system. Those I saw were very simply replaced by a reference file or by a FUNCTION call. I have no idea at all of the full gamut of possibilities, which is one way you could look at it, but I'd go for what actually exists in the code.

There's no point in anyone saying "XYZ" is tricky but "ZAB" is easily done if your system uses neither.

Get hold of the source. See what is there (write a small "program"). If you are not yet able to look at source, how about system documentation? Should be something in there, I'd hope.