Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-27T20:21:33Z by DanielWagemann
SteveW.
SteveW.
56 Posts

Pinned topic Business Insight report help

‏2012-10-04T17:20:58Z |
I need to create a dashboard from 4 reports I have created in Report studio C10. All use the same DB, nearly identical Prompt page, and identical filters in the queries.

If I drag these reports into BusI, I get four identical prompt pages. What I'd like to do is have one prompt section that linked to each of these reports in a four corner type report.

What's the easiest/best way to do this?
Updated on 2012-10-27T20:21:33Z at 2012-10-27T20:21:33Z by DanielWagemann
  • DanielWagemann
    DanielWagemann
    850 Posts

Re: Business Insight report help

‏2012-10-05T12:43:06Z  
    The product is designed to have the widgets automatically listen for other wideget communication as you drag the items on the page. Your post is not clear on what you are dragging into the workspace.

Here is what I did.
    Create a report with a prompt page and crosstab. I made sure to give the Value Prompt Object a name under the Misc\Name property. I saved this report as BI Report 1.

I made another copy of the same report as BI Report 2.

I opened the workspace dragging in the report page (not the entire report) for BI Report 1 and BI Report 2. When prompted I provide a value so that the crosstab can render.

I then dragged in the Prompt Page (not the entire report) for BI Report 1. As I updated the prompt values both report pages change without issue.
  • SteveW.
    SteveW.
    56 Posts

‏2012-10-12T15:45:24Z  
    The product is designed to have the widgets automatically listen for other wideget communication as you drag the items on the page. Your post is not clear on what you are dragging into the workspace.

Here is what I did.
    Create a report with a prompt page and crosstab. I made sure to give the Value Prompt Object a name under the Misc\Name property. I saved this report as BI Report 1.

I made another copy of the same report as BI Report 2.

I opened the workspace dragging in the report page (not the entire report) for BI Report 1 and BI Report 2. When prompted I provide a value so that the crosstab can render.

I then dragged in the Prompt Page (not the entire report) for BI Report 1. As I updated the prompt values both report pages change without issue.
    I'll try naming the pages and individual prompts. I had the objects themselves named. So, when I drug ListA, ListB, ListC over, they all initially render the same prompt pages.

I put all of the prompts in a table and named the table. Although the documentation says you can name a table and use it as a widget, it did not appear in the list of widgets. but the individual prompts would probably work better anyway.
  • SteveW.
    SteveW.
    56 Posts

‏2012-10-24T14:10:19Z  
    • SteveW.
    • ‏2012-10-12T15:45:24Z
    I'll try naming the pages and individual prompts. I had the objects themselves named. So, when I drug ListA, ListB, ListC over, they all initially render the same prompt pages.

I put all of the prompts in a table and named the table. Although the documentation says you can name a table and use it as a widget, it did not appear in the list of widgets. but the individual prompts would probably work better anyway.
    No luck. If a report has a prompt page with it, the prompt page displays. This is a pain since all of my reports have prompt pages.

5 reports, all with nearly identical prompt pages, all with ?identical? prompt filters, all "linked" in business insight. Only the report "page" has been pulled into the workspace (not the prompt page), and all 5 reports display the prompt page initially. Not as intuitive as I'd like.

Do the reports need to be created special for Business Insight? Which I don't want to do since that would increase the number of reports to maintain.
  • DanielWagemann
    DanielWagemann
    850 Posts

‏2012-10-27T20:21:33Z  
    • SteveW.
    • ‏2012-10-24T14:10:19Z
    No luck. If a report has a prompt page with it, the prompt page displays. This is a pain since all of my reports have prompt pages.

5 reports, all with nearly identical prompt pages, all with ?identical? prompt filters, all "linked" in business insight. Only the report "page" has been pulled into the workspace (not the prompt page), and all 5 reports display the prompt page initially. Not as intuitive as I'd like.

Do the reports need to be created special for Business Insight? Which I don't want to do since that would increase the number of reports to maintain.
    I did not have this issue. All my prompts used by the different reports had the same name. (The name on the under the Misc setting.) So when I performed the actions described earlier, I was first prompted for the values of the individual reports. Then when I dragged on the single prompt page, it automatically updated all the report objects.