Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-05T14:48:00Z by Jim-Young
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
847 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic GC Log Issue

‏2012-10-03T10:30:33Z |
We are using ITCm 6.1 FP6 for WebSphere. I have configured GC logs per following instructions:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v3r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.itcamwas.doc_6.1%2Fitcam_61_4_was_dc_dist_install_guide106.htm

The log files are building correctly and do roll over. The issue is in VE. The # of GCs, GC Time and Heap after GC do not display. Is this a bug within ITCam or do I need some additional config?
Updated on 2012-10-05T14:48:00Z at 2012-10-05T14:48:00Z by Jim-Young
  • Jim-Young
    Jim-Young
    14 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: GC Log Issue

‏2012-10-04T09:47:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    There are a number of possible issues, including:
    Verbose GC is not enabled and the path to the WebSphere native_stderr.log file is not specified
    Garbage Collector analysis not reporting data
    It may well be a GC log path issue - to resolve this:
    1. Navigate to the DC_HOME/runtime/appserver_version.node_name.server_name
    directory.
    2. Open the kwjdc.properties file.
    3. Find the TEMAGCCollector.gclog.path={GC_Log_Path} property
    4. Change the value of GC_Log_Path to the correct GC log path.
    • drogo
      drogo
      8 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-04T12:51:18Z  in response to Jim-Young
      The GC log file configuration is correct. I suspect most users are not rolling GC log files and use the default. We do not. If I set the config back to using one file ( itcam_dc_gclog.log ) VE displays correctly. I suspect this is a bug within ITCam 6.1 SW.
      • Jim-Young
        Jim-Young
        14 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-04T13:32:38Z  in response to drogo
        It may also be related to your WAS config (JVM Generic Arguments)- this might be pertinent:

Problem(Abstract)
        How does one redirect the GC output to a specific file?

Resolving the problem
        To redirect the GC file or the GC output, you have to do two things:

1. During configuration of the DC one of the screens provides a checkbox to "Redirect the Garbage Collection output"
        If you choose this option, then the GC logs are redirected to the file "itcam_dc_gclog.log".
        If you do not check this, then it goes into the standard WAS server logfile named native_stderr.log.

2. To redirect the "itcam_dc_gclog.log" logfile, just create a link to point to your new location and make changes to the -Xverbosegclog argument in the JVM Generic Arguments section for the WAS server.
        Preferably this should be done via the WAS Admin console

Resart the WAS server and all future logging will now point to your specified path.

NOTES:
        If any Garbage Collection option is already set in the application server’s JVM arguments, the GC output setting redirection will not be applied.
        For JDK versions 1.3.1 or lower, you do not have the choice to redirect to itcam_dc_gclog.log. Garbage collection will be redirected to the native_stderr.log file.
        If the directory of the itcam_dc_gclog.log file or native_std_file is removed, you will experience problems running the JVM.

This may also be of interest:
        ITCAM Data Collector configuration for Garbage Collection output redirect is applied to all application server instances you are configuring
        • drogo
          drogo
          8 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-05T13:35:28Z  in response to Jim-Young
          I found the issue. In the config, I was using # to manipulate to log file number. I removed the # and now GC data displays correctly in VE. I had files outputting as itcam_dc_gclog001.log. I removed the # and now the output as itcam_dc_gclog.log.001.
        • drogo
          drogo
          8 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-05T14:11:11Z  in response to Jim-Young
          Not seeing a link / button to state question is answered. This issue is closed.
          • Jim-Young
            Jim-Young
            14 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-05T14:48:00Z  in response to drogo
            I'm glad you were able to sort that out.

You cannot mark a question answered unless you have a reply post that answers your question (like this one).
            Here's the official guidance:

How do I indicate that my question has been answered?

When a reply post answers a thread you opened as a question, click "Mark as answered" to indicate that the question has been answered. After you indicate that your question is answered, a star icon in the second column of the Thread view.