Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-04-15T22:40:01Z by VERMak
vmdave9
vmdave9
3 Posts

Pinned topic Smart Cloud Provisioning, using z/VM as the hipervisor

‏2012-10-02T15:12:01Z |
Is there any technical reason Smart Cloud Provisioning could not be deployed on System z, using z/VM as the hipervisor?

Thanks.
Dave Jones
Updated on 2012-10-03T19:03:04Z at 2012-10-03T19:03:04Z by vmdave9
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    92 Posts

Re: Smart Cloud Provisioning, using z/VM as the hipervisor

‏2012-10-02T17:46:36Z  
    Hi Dave

currently all the main SmartCloud Provisioning infrastructure elements and components are optimized to work only on intel platform.

The capability to deploy SmartCloud Provisioning on z is something the development team is considering and taking into account for the future roadmap.

Said that, can you articulate what are you thinking about and what particular need you would like to satisfy on this front?

thanks, max
  • vmdave9
    vmdave9
    3 Posts

‏2012-10-03T15:34:00Z  
    Hi, Max.

Thanks for your quick response. The reason for my question is that we are an IBM Business Partner, focused on the System z space, and we are seeing a number of our clients asking us about Linux provisioning and creating cloud ready services on z/VM. What can we tell them we can offer in that space?

If you would like to discuss this more in private, you can reach me at:
    dave@vsoft-software.com

Thanks again, and have a good one.

DJ
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    92 Posts

‏2012-10-03T16:33:34Z  
    • vmdave9
    • ‏2012-10-03T15:34:00Z
    Hi, Max.

Thanks for your quick response. The reason for my question is that we are an IBM Business Partner, focused on the System z space, and we are seeing a number of our clients asking us about Linux provisioning and creating cloud ready services on z/VM. What can we tell them we can offer in that space?

If you would like to discuss this more in private, you can reach me at:
    dave@vsoft-software.com

Thanks again, and have a good one.

DJ
    Hey Dave, thanks for the background.

let's stay public and transparent as I wouldn't have secrets to share more than what I'm saying here.

Unless there are particular use cases and features to can go more deeply, I can just say and emphasize that the product team is hearing you and as a matter of fact we are taking the requirement of supporting zLinux as Managed-From platform quite seriously. We have this item quite high in the ranked list.

thanks again, max
  • vmdave9
    vmdave9
    3 Posts

‏2012-10-03T19:03:04Z  

let's stay public and transparent as I wouldn't have secrets to share more than what I'm saying here.

Unless there are particular use cases and features to can go more deeply, I can just say and emphasize that the product team is hearing you and as a matter of fact we are taking the requirement of supporting zLinux as Managed-From platform quite seriously. We have this item quite high in the ranked list.

thanks again, max
    Thanks for the update, Max; it's good to hear that zLinux is at least on the radar there. We will continue to monitor this space for any updates to the supported platforms.

DJ
  • VERMak
    VERMak
    1 Post

‏2013-04-15T22:40:01Z  

thanks again, max

Hi,

Is there any update on z@SmartCloud? I was hoping to engage in a SmartCloud Trial to explore Linux/Java/CPACF project

Updated on 2013-04-15T22:42:38Z at 2013-04-15T22:42:38Z by VERMak