Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-04T07:27:20Z by PawelJosefsson
PawelJosefsson
PawelJosefsson
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Moving from a trial edition to full

‏2012-10-02T09:06:37Z |
We are trying to understand the process of moving from a trial IBM WAS 8.5 edition to a full product version. We use a Trial IBM WAS instance to host IBM Rational Team Concert application. The system is fully configured and operational. We have just bought a bunch of sharp licenses for the IBM RTC and are trying to understand what we need to do to move our WAS to a full edition. Is a re-installation of WAS software required? What is the licens key distribution mechanism used in WAS, keys or PA-online? We have been searching for days in the documentation but without any success. Any hints are appreciated.

https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/4.0
"Each valid client license includes a license to run one instance of DB2 Workgroup or Enterprise Edition (excludes z/OS) and one instance of WebSphere Application Server in support of Rational Team Concert"

Regards,
Pawel
Updated on 2012-10-04T07:27:20Z at 2012-10-04T07:27:20Z by PawelJosefsson
  • Scott Johnston
    Scott Johnston
    76 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Moving from a trial edition to full

‏2012-10-02T21:33:58Z  in response to PawelJosefsson
    I will preface my response by stating that I am not an attorney and therefore all license and usage concerns should be evaluated by a qualified IBM marketing representative or agent. That is, the finer details of what is covered by your licenses might need to be worked out between yourself and the IBM representative from whom the purchase was made.

I reviewed the WAS international license agreement for evaluation programs, and confirmed that the Trial editions of WAS are limited to 60 days. I can also confirm that there are mechanisms in the product which will either cripple or disable the product when the evaluation time expires.

I also went to the Rational Team Concert (RTC) website and reviewed the licenses. There were two licenses (Free and Authorized), both of which list WebSphere Application Server as a "Supporting Program". Like you quoted, this basically means that WAS can be installed and used to support the use RTC. However, the version of WAS which is listed in the license is: IBM WebSphere Application Server v7.0 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows. Therefore, be sure you have proper entitlement to use any other version of WebSphere Application Server with RTC before proceeding with an upgrade.
    With that out of the way, here is what I know about upgrading from a Trial version of WebSphere Application Server to a Licensed version. It is possible to upgrade an existing trial installation of WebSphere Application Server to a licensed installation, as long as the version is the same. That is, a WAS v7 trial can be upgraded to licensed installation of WAS v7, but cannot be upgraded to a licensed installation of WAS v8 or later.

WAS v7 and earlier used a different installation technology that WAS v8.0 and later; therefore the upgrade process differs depending on the version of WebSphere Application Server for which you have entitlement.

For WAS v7.0, the WAS installer for the licensed version has to be download from Passport Advantage or you can use the physical media (cd/dvd) if you have them. When you run the WAS v7.0 installer, it will detect the presence of the trial edition and provide an option to upgrade to another edition (in this case from trial edition to licensed edition). Continue through the installation wizard and it will perform the necessary operations to transform the WAS v7 trial into a functional licensed version of WAS v7.

For WAS v8.0 and v8.5, WAS began using the IBM Installation Manager. With Installation Manager, the process is to add the repository location for the licensed version of WebSphere Application Server to which you are entitled. This location can be an IBM-hosted repository (requires Passport Advantage authentication and entitlement) or a local copy of the repositories (e.g., physical media or a repository which is hosted within your own business).

The IBM-hosted repository locations for the WAS 8.0 and 8.5 products are provided in the online information center article entitled "WebSphere Application Server product offerings for supported operating systems"

WAS v8.0 = http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v8r0/topic/com.ibm.websphere.installation.base.doc/info/aes/ae/cins_offerings.html

WAS v8.5 = http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v8r5/topic/com.ibm.websphere.installation.base.doc/ae/cins_offerings.html

For more information about downloading the WAS products from Passport Advantage, read the following article: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27024129

After adding the appropriate repository location to Installation Manager, return to the main launchpad panel and choose the Install wizard. If the correct repository location was provided to the licensed version of WebSphere Application Server and the proper user ID and password are provided for authentication, then you will see the licensed version of WebSphere Application Server listed as one of the installable packages. Choose it and continue. After accepting the license agreement, you get to an Install Packages panel. At the top, choose the option to "use an existing package group" and then select the installed Trial edition of WAS from the Package Group Name list. Continue through the installation wizard and it will perform the necessary operations to transform the WAS 8.0 or 8.5 trial into a functional licensed version of WAS 8.0 or 8.5, respectively.

Here are Information Center articles on how to upgrade from Trial to Licensed versions of WAS for versions 7.0, 8.0 and 8.5.

WAS v7.0 = http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v7r0/topic/com.ibm.websphere.installation.base.doc/info/aes/ae/tins_upgradeb.html

WAS v8.0 = http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v8r0/topic/com.ibm.websphere.installation.base.doc/info/aes/ae/tins_upgrading_dist_gui.html

WAS v8.5 = http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v8r5/topic/com.ibm.websphere.installation.express.doc/ae/tins_upgrading_dist_gui.html

That is all there is to upgrading a trial version of WAS to a licensed version of WAS.
    Regards,
    Scott Johnston
    WebSphere Application Server
    Install & Configuration User Experience Lead
    • PawelJosefsson
      PawelJosefsson
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Moving from a trial edition to full

‏2012-10-04T07:27:20Z  in response to Scott Johnston
      Thanks a lot Scott for your quick replay to my question.

It has now been clear that RTC 4.0 is "bundling" WAS 8.0 so we won't get any help from Installation Manager. We will have make a new installation, will probably give backupConfig.sh a try. I'm not sure we found a WAS 8.0 Trial for download. However, the most important thing was that we could bring up our system using WAS 60 day trial.

Excellent trial program and support!

Regards,
      Pawel