SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1143 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Change onconfig without downtime

‏2012-10-02T06:25:52Z |
Hello guys,

I have a short, but important question.
I want to change the LTAPEDEV-parameter in the onconfig-file from "/dev/null" to our "Dataprotector path".

Is it possible to change this configuration without shutting down the Informix server?

Thanks for you reply

Best regards
Updated on 2012-10-02T09:04:19Z at 2012-10-02T09:04:19Z by SystemAdmin
  • andreasl
    andreasl
    331 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Change onconfig without downtime

‏2012-10-02T06:53:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Bobby,

three-fold answer:
    1.) yes, as far as LTAPEDEV is a parameter to the ontape backup and restore utility - ontape will read the onconfig file upon invocation
    2.) no, as far as LTAPEDEV is a parameter to oninit (the database server) and the '/dev/null' has a very special meaning.
    In fact '/dev/null' (or empty, vs. other than '/dev/null') is the only special meaning this parameter has to the database server
    telling it "don't bother backing up logical logs, instead flag them 'backed up' immediately after use and allow them for re-use."
    Changing this will only be picked up by the server upon restart.
    3.) "Dataprotectore" sounds a bit like some storage manager, so onbar being used rather than ontape for backups.
    In case onbar really is used, any value (other than empty or '/dev/null') would be good - onbar wouldn't look at this.

So in essence the answer is no. You need to restart the database server in order to activate/allow (or deactivate) logical log backups.

HTH,
    Andreas
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Change onconfig without downtime

‏2012-10-02T09:04:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hey,

thank you for your help!

You're right, we are using onbar with HP Dataprotector.
    Now, I have planned scheduled donwtime for today, that I can restart the Server :)

best regards