Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-04T17:09:10Z by kperrier
kperrier
kperrier
6 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Director does not start after installation and agent manager configuration

‏2012-10-01T18:43:17Z |
I have installed Director 6.3 on an AIX 7.1 TL1 SP5 lpar. Installation was successful. I ran the Agent Manger Configuration script, which took a while to run but it eventually finished. I run the smstart command it gives me an error saying that agent manager has not been configured. I rerun the configuration script, which at this point is just entering the username and password for the agent manager account and password for agent registration. (I am using the server I have installed director on to be the agent manager.) The smstart command still fails saying that the agent manager has not been configured. The return code from the smstart command is 5

Does anyone have an idea on what to do to get director to start?
Updated on 2012-10-04T17:09:10Z at 2012-10-04T17:09:10Z by kperrier
  • kperrier
    kperrier
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Director does not start after installation and agent manager configuration

‏2012-10-01T21:51:18Z  in response to kperrier
    I rebooted and director now starts, but it does not have access to itself. smcli getAgentManagers says "No Agent managers added yet." It looks like the agentmanagerconfig.properties file is not being created. None of my file systems are full, /opt is only 27% full. Any ideas?
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      13281 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-02T14:37:16Z  in response to kperrier
      Can you verify if the AM is being started or not? If it is started, it will be listening on port 9513.

BTW... were you logged on as 'root' when running the installation/configuration?

----
      Craig Elliott
      IBM Advanced Technical Skills
      • kperrier
        kperrier
        6 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-02T15:00:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I shutdown director to rerun configAgtMgr.sh (got a return code of 12, btw, so not successful) and I cannot restart director because the agent manager has not been configured. I am rebooting again to see if director comes up.

Yes I was root for the installation, I accepted all defaults with the hope the crap like this would not happen. I would love to have it not in rootvg, is there some documentation on installing director so that it is not in rootvg?

After the reboot....

There is a process listening on port 9513 and it is the following process:

root@adcsdir01# netstat -Aan | grep 9513
        f1000e0000a323b8 tcp 0 0 *.9513 . LISTEN

root@adcsdir01# rmsock f1000e0000a323b8 tcpcb
        The socket 0xf1000e0000a32008 is being held by proccess 6095078 (java).

root@adcsdir01# ps -ef | grep 6095078
        root 6095078 5701844 6 09:56:58 - 2:08 /opt/ibm/director/jre/bin/java -Xcompressedrefs -Xms512m -Xmx8192m -Xgcpolicy:gencon -Xdump:system:events=gpf+abort -Xdump:java:events=gpf+abort -verbose:gc -Xverbosegclog:verbose_output.xml -DPCL_BASEDIR=/opt/ibm/director/data/base -DPCL_BASEDIR=/opt/ibm/director/proddata/base -DSC_VISIBLE=true -Xbootclasspath/a:/opt/ibm/director/lwi/runtime/core/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.rcp.base_6.2.3.20110824-0615/rcpbootcp.jar:/opt/ibm/director/lwi/lib/ISCJaasModule.jar:/opt/ibm/director/lwi/lib/UsmiJaasModule.jar:/opt/ibm/director/lwi/lib/com.ibm.logging.icl_1.1.1.jar:/opt/ibm/director/lwi/lib/jaas2zos.jar:/opt/ibm/director/lwi/lib/jaasmodule.jar:/opt/ibm/director/lwi/lib/lwidiag.jar:/opt/ibm/director/lwi/lib/lwinative.jar:/opt/ibm/director/lwi/lib/lwinl.jar:/opt/ibm/director/lwi/lib/lwirolemap.jar:/opt/ibm/director/lwi/lib/lwisecurity.jar:/opt/ibm/director/lwi/lib/lwitools.jar:/opt/ibm/director/lwi/lib/passutils.jar:../director/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.director.security_6.3.0/classes/security.jar -Xverify:none -cp eclipse/launch.jar:eclipse/startup.jar:/opt/ibm/director/lwi/runtime/core/eclipse/plugins/com.ibm.rcp.base_6.2.3.20110824-0615/launcher.jar com.ibm.lwi.LaunchLWI
        • kperrier
          kperrier
          6 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-02T15:22:37Z  in response to kperrier
          After the reboot and the 20-25 minutes it takes for director to finish starting, the same issue exists, director does not have access to the host it is running on, so I cannot update it to 6.3.1.
          • kperrier
            kperrier
            6 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-02T15:25:24Z  in response to kperrier
            Looking in /opt/ibm/director/lwi/logs/error-log-0.html I see this

2012/10/02 10:26:36.036 WARNING The agent manager ID of the agent is not registered to the Server: 577781A593B03BC3A08E1B3E38B1B4E5 ::class.method=com.ibm.usmi.client.cas.usmiimpl.CasClient.addAgentInternal() ::thread=ManagedThreadPool-thread-11 : com.ibm.usmi.systems.discovery.cas.CASDiscoveryModule_172.20.4.160 ::loggername=com.ibm.usmi.client.cas.usmiimpl

which confirms what the problem is, but I have no idea how to solve it.
            • gcorneau
              gcorneau
              235 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-04T16:48:19Z  in response to kperrier
              Try manually configuring the Common Agent running on the Systems Director Server with the Agent Manager also running on the Systems Director Server using the configure.sh script.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/director/pubs/topic/com.ibm.director.install.helps.doc/fqm0_t_installing_ibm_director_agent_level2_on_aix.html

Hopefully you remember the agent registration password from when the configAgtMgr.sh script was run.

Glen Corneau
              IBM Power Systems Advanced Technical Skills
              • kperrier
                kperrier
                6 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-04T17:09:10Z  in response to gcorneau
                I have done that. I have tried it again with no impact. I don't think the agent manager is running, but I have no idea how to verify that.

Thanks!