8 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-04-23T13:34:45Z by xf00657
xf00657
xf00657
92 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic wasctrl-as from pre-caaned policies

‏2012-10-01T10:50:32Z |
Hi group,
do you provide an adjusted wasctrl-as script for WAS 8.x? I had a look in the actual script: the last added "wget" -call doesn't work under AIX. We need another procedure for WAS V8.x It seems that it have another behavior then before. With V6.x and V7.x we checked the PID-File which comes together with the message "ready for eBusiness". But under V8 the PID file comes earlier so that working dependencies could be a problem.
Any idea?
regards
Ruediger
Updated on 2013-03-19T10:11:48Z at 2013-03-19T10:11:48Z by xf00657
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    120 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: wasctrl-as from pre-caaned policies

‏2013-03-07T10:10:07Z  in response to xf00657
    Hi Rüdiger,
    we currently are working on the wasctrl-as script and got it working fine on AIX
    with WAS 8.x by installing a wget-ssl package found in the web (e.g. wget-1.12-1ssl.aix6.1.ppc.rpm).
    The script also works on Linux with WAS 8.x.
    We only had to do some minor changes in the script. The updated version is planned to be part of the next pre-canned policy update. Sure you can get it right now, if you like to.
    Regarding the PID-file, in this script it is only used for stopping and in case of resetting the resource.
    So, there should be no problem, if it comes earlier with WAS 8.x.
    To determine the status wget is used with this script version.

Regards Oliver Andersen
    • xf00657
      xf00657
      92 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-11T14:17:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hello Oliver,
      thank you for you answer. But wget we cannot use because none of our WebSphere Appserver have an installed/deployed Web Application we could call with wget. We now use the SoapPort as additional test beside the PID. But one problem remains: The monitoring should be work in revise order between Starting and Stopping. How you will solve this within your script?
      regards
      Rüdiger
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        120 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-12T15:48:58Z  in response to xf00657
        Hi Rüdiger,

I do not understand what you mean by "The monitoring should be work in revise order between Starting and Stopping.".

Starting only calls startServer.
        Stopping only calls stopServer.
        And monitoring uses all these 3 steps: First ps-command, then checking the SOAP-port and finally using wget to access WC_adminhost_secure.

Regards Oliver
        • xf00657
          xf00657
          92 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-13T08:29:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi Oliver,
          what I want to say is: when I start an AppServer, the AppServer is up when not only when process is running but also the Port is open or in, your case, wget succeeded.
          But what happens when I stopp an AppServer? The Monitor Command also check (perhaps) both, process and port (or wget). When the Monitor reports Offline? The checks in the Monitor Command normally runs in the same sequence. How can I tell the Monitor that the resource is in stopping mode?
          In other words, when I stopp the AppServer Monitor has to report Offline, when the Process is completely ended.
          When I start a AppServer the Monitor has to report Online when when Port ist open (or wget..). I think this are different behaviors when you check more the one situations in the Monitor Command.
          I hope you understand what I mean.
          Regards
          Rüdiger
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            120 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-14T14:05:02Z  in response to xf00657
            Hi Rüdiger,

ok, now I understand your problem.
            If the WAS monitor reports offline too early, then SA MP will trigger stopping of dependent resources.
            This can be a problem when resources like file-systems are umounted too early, right.

I found code that handles this problem in our oracle pre-canned scripts:
            stopScriptRunning=`ps axwww |grep -E "oraclectrl-db stop .* $ORACLE_SID" | grep -v grep`
            if
            then
            RC=$PENDING_OFFLINE
            elif

This script returns 'pending offline' instead of 'offline', as long as the Stop-Script is running.
            This could be a solution for your problem, right?
            Thanks for pointing me to this problem. I will think of adding according code to the WAS-script, too.

Regards Oliver
            • xf00657
              xf00657
              92 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-19T10:11:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Hello Oliver,

ok, that may work for some applications. But for WebSphere it could be quite complicate. You must check if the original WebSphere stop-command "stopServer.sh" is runnung but for this specific AppServer not for others on the same server/Lpar. Because this is also a java proc, it could be very difficult to find the correct process.
              regards
              Rüdiger
              • OliverA
                OliverA
                2 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-19T12:08:14Z  in response to xf00657

Hi Rüdiger,

I tried a changed wasctrl script with the following code to determine pending states:

stopScriptRunning=`ps axwww |grep -E "wasctrl-as stop ${AS_HOME} ${AS_TCPP} ${SERVER_NAME}" | grep -v grep`
                                startScriptRunning=`ps axwww |grep -E "wasctrl-as start ${AS_HOME} ${AS_TCPP} ${SERVER_NAME}" | grep -v grep`
                                if [ "$stopScriptRunning" != "" ]
                                then
                                    # echo "stop script still running"
                                    RC=$PENDING_OFFLINE
                                elif ...

The code checks for a specific AppServer, because it includes the servername and port.

Isn't this sufficient?

Regards Oliver

• xf00657
                  xf00657
                  92 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-23T13:34:45Z  in response to OliverA

Hello Oliver,

thanks a lot. We will try this in the near future.

Regards

Rüdiger