Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-04T07:00:17Z by francesco.latino
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2750 Posts

Pinned topic PXE fails in other subnets

‏2012-09-30T14:10:30Z |
I´ve setup OS Deployment server 7.1.1.4. A client being at the same subnet boots from PXE fine, but from other subnet range no way. I´m running my DHCP on Windows 2008 R2 box, and I can´t use IP helpers, because I don´t have a configurable switch. In server 2008 there is no dhcp 60-option. Option 66 points to OS deployment server IP, and I tried option 67 set to "UIFI 64" something... which I saw in manual of OS Deployment, but it didn´t work either.

Any hints on this? Thanks..
Updated on 2012-10-04T07:00:17Z at 2012-10-04T07:00:17Z by francesco.latino
  • mahoneyb
    mahoneyb
    1 Post

Re: PXE fails in other subnets

‏2012-10-02T16:12:22Z  
    I'd suggest configuring your dhcp server to have an IPv4 address on each and every subnet you require TPMfOSD provisioning.

On windows and linux, you could simply run another cable to your machine if it has another NIC and assign the nic an IP on the subnet in question. A static route would be required if you want to point the interface at a gateway, otherwise leaving it non-routable would work too.

On RHEL linux, this could also be achieved via vlan tagging /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.vlanid , and definining an IPv4 address on the subnet for the dhcp server. Bring the interface online. On windows, this could be similarly achieved using the third party device drivers and administrative suites. The BACS (Broadcom advanced control suite) is one of them.

On RHEL you'd then need to edit /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd to add this newly defined interface to the dhcpd config. Restart the dhcpd service thereafter.

If the two subnets cannot route to one another, you will also need to configure another interface on the TPMfOSD server so that when the pxe booting process begins, the target can communicate with the OSD server on the same subnet. You will then need to define this interface in OSD via the web GUI.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2750 Posts

‏2012-10-02T19:09:02Z  
    • mahoneyb
    • ‏2012-10-02T16:12:22Z
    I'd suggest configuring your dhcp server to have an IPv4 address on each and every subnet you require TPMfOSD provisioning.

On windows and linux, you could simply run another cable to your machine if it has another NIC and assign the nic an IP on the subnet in question. A static route would be required if you want to point the interface at a gateway, otherwise leaving it non-routable would work too.

On RHEL linux, this could also be achieved via vlan tagging /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.vlanid , and definining an IPv4 address on the subnet for the dhcp server. Bring the interface online. On windows, this could be similarly achieved using the third party device drivers and administrative suites. The BACS (Broadcom advanced control suite) is one of them.

On RHEL you'd then need to edit /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd to add this newly defined interface to the dhcpd config. Restart the dhcpd service thereafter.

If the two subnets cannot route to one another, you will also need to configure another interface on the TPMfOSD server so that when the pxe booting process begins, the target can communicate with the OSD server on the same subnet. You will then need to define this interface in OSD via the web GUI.
    > mahoneyb wrote:
    > I'd suggest configuring your dhcp server to have an IPv4 address on each and every subnet you require TPMfOSD provisioning.
    >
    I´m a little confused of your suggestion. I have only one DHCP server in my enviroment, and it is Domain Controller. I don´t want to connect it to every subnet...
  • francesco.latino
    francesco.latino
    19 Posts

‏2012-10-03T07:59:24Z  
    > mahoneyb wrote:
    > I'd suggest configuring your dhcp server to have an IPv4 address on each and every subnet you require TPMfOSD provisioning.
    >
    I´m a little confused of your suggestion. I have only one DHCP server in my enviroment, and it is Domain Controller. I don´t want to connect it to every subnet...
    Hi,

to be sure I always use both option 43 and option 60 on my dhcp server.(PXE targets on same subnet)
    Since you also have routers in the middle, you probably need option 3 (router).

Options 43 and 60 will ensure your PXE (BIOS, not UEFI) targets will boot fine to your PXE server.
    To work across subnets, the option 3 should solve.

LEt me know if you need more details to setup such options

Thanks
    Francesco Latino
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2750 Posts

‏2012-10-03T14:45:01Z  
    Hi,

to be sure I always use both option 43 and option 60 on my dhcp server.(PXE targets on same subnet)
    Since you also have routers in the middle, you probably need option 3 (router).

Options 43 and 60 will ensure your PXE (BIOS, not UEFI) targets will boot fine to your PXE server.
    To work across subnets, the option 3 should solve.

LEt me know if you need more details to setup such options

Thanks
    Francesco Latino
    > francesco.latino wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > to be sure I always use both option 43 and option 60 on my dhcp server.(PXE targets on same subnet)
    > Since you also have routers in the middle, you probably need option 3 (router).
    >
    > Options 43 and 60 will ensure your PXE (BIOS, not UEFI) targets will boot fine to your PXE server.
    > To work across subnets, the option 3 should solve.
    >
    > LEt me know if you need more details to setup such options
    >
    > Thanks
    > Francesco Latino

Option 60 is not available in Windows 2008 server DHCP service. Option 43 is there, what should I set there?

I don´t have a real router between subnets, I have only dummy switches without any configuration, so I cannot use Subnets.
    With SCCM OSD, PXE boot between different subnets works by setting DHCP option 67 which sets a path to boot images. How I can do it with TPM OSD?
  • Michele.T
    Michele.T
    119 Posts

‏2012-10-03T14:51:23Z  
    > Hi,
    >
    > to be sure I always use both option 43 and option 60 on my dhcp server.(PXE targets on same subnet)
    > Since you also have routers in the middle, you probably need option 3 (router).
    >
    > Options 43 and 60 will ensure your PXE (BIOS, not UEFI) targets will boot fine to your PXE server.
    >
    >
    > Thanks
    > Francesco Latino

Option 60 is not available in Windows 2008 server DHCP service. Option 43 is there, what should I set there?

I don´t have a real router between subnets, I have only dummy switches without any configuration, so I cannot use Subnets.
    With SCCM OSD, PXE boot between different subnets works by setting DHCP option 67 which sets a path to boot images. How I can do it with TPM OSD?
    Hi,
    in Windows default configuration, option 60 is not available, but you can add it easily.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v28r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.tivoli.tpm.scenario.doc%2Fos%2Ftins_dhcpconfig60.html

You can follow instructions at link above, and try if it solves your issue.

Regards

Michele Tomassi
  • francesco.latino
    francesco.latino
    19 Posts

‏2012-10-04T07:00:17Z  
    > Hi,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks
    > Francesco Latino

Hi,

as in the previous post you can add this option 60 to Microsoft DHCP server and configure it to be "PXEClient".

About option 43 you can look at samples here

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v3r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.tivoli.tpm.osdimg.doc%2Finstall%2Fcosd_idhcp.html

If you still have some problem, you can provide me your details and I will try to encode it for you.