• 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-11T18:56:39Z by SystemAdmin
1 Post

Pinned topic How to set DB2 ready for Online backup? (from circullar to archive logging)

‏2012-09-28T10:53:40Z |

this is probably the simple question bout I have doubts.
I have DB2 9.7 on Linux and it is with default circular logging.
Now I want to change it to archive logging to be able to do online backup.
I do this because I must set DB for backups with Tivoli Storage Manager.
What do I have to do?
I did this:

1.db2cc Configure Database Logging Wizard
2.choose archive logging choose "Use a user exit to archive the log files" or "Use DB2 to automatically log files" what is the difference? If second is chosen I choose for Media Type TSM and for failure path /opt/archive2
4.Set primary log number to 10 and secondary to 15. Size of each 4096
5.Logging location /opt/archive
6. Run now without saving task history
Does someone know is this enough to enable my database to be able for TSM?
Did I did something wrong?What do I have to do more?
What do I have to choose in 3-rd step?
I found some documentation but it doesnt giving me the exact steps for configuring.
Do I have to do some kind of scheduling on db level for performing database backup or on the side of TSM?

Thank you
Updated on 2012-10-11T18:56:39Z at 2012-10-11T18:56:39Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    17917 Posts

Re: How to set DB2 ready for Online backup? (from circullar to archive logging)

You don't need to use archive logging (making the database rollforward recoverable) in order to perform DB2 backups to TSM. Regardless of the target of your backup images, they can always be either offline if that's what you require.

Having said that, you probably want to read a bit of info about logging and its implications. I'll suggest starting with one of these pages:

A 'user exit' for archive logging is not what I'd recommend, as it allows you to write your own log archive handling program. What you want is to either retain the logs in the active path (but beware that the disk there could fill up over time), or more commonly have DB2 automatically archive them to TSM or some other storage.

I'm not sure what you've already read, but there are whole sections of the books that discuss the use of TSM with DB2.

Hope that helps.
    Kelly Rodger