Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-01T17:49:48Z by Harini_Jagannathan
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
28 Posts

Pinned topic Restricting VMware reports to information on certain VMs

‏2012-09-28T05:59:59Z |
Hi, I am wondering how we can restrict VMware reports to information on certain VMs? For example, a service provider wants its customers to only be able to access the information of their own VMs in a VMware vCenter environment.

An option I thought about is to create multiple instances of the VMware monitoring agent, each for a user in vCenter. But how do I restrict the SCM reports to use the information in the TDW on that single instance? Examples of the VMware reports are "VMware VI VM CPU Ready and Utilization" and "VMware VI VM Performance Trends"

Any other ideas? Thanks.
Updated on 2012-10-01T17:49:48Z at 2012-10-01T17:49:48Z by Harini_Jagannathan
  • Harini_Jagannathan
    Harini_Jagannathan
    3 Posts

Re: Restricting VMware reports to information on certain VMs

‏2012-09-28T18:31:28Z  
    Create a clients to VMs mapping database table, where the clients are group names in TIP or LDAP.
    Client1 - VMa
    Client1 - VMb
    Client2 - VMc
    Client3 - VMd
    Client3 - VMe

Create a relationship to this VM name and your existing VM names.

Next in the data model, there is a macro that be used to get the groups this current user is part of.

From there, create a filter on the clients, to only return the VMs the user has access to.
    Client_Name in (#CSVIdentityNameList()#)

Now in the report, you only need 1 drop down for the VMs (the client is automatic).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    28 Posts

‏2012-10-01T00:20:22Z  
    Create a clients to VMs mapping database table, where the clients are group names in TIP or LDAP.
    Client1 - VMa
    Client1 - VMb
    Client2 - VMc
    Client3 - VMd
    Client3 - VMe

Create a relationship to this VM name and your existing VM names.

Next in the data model, there is a macro that be used to get the groups this current user is part of.

From there, create a filter on the clients, to only return the VMs the user has access to.
    Client_Name in (#CSVIdentityNameList()#)

Now in the report, you only need 1 drop down for the VMs (the client is automatic).
    Thank you Harini, it seems like a lot of manual steps would be involved when clients create and destroy VMs rapidly. Do you have sample reports of how that looks like and some screenshots of the resulting interface? I want to remove the ability to select the Clusters and Host servers in the reports, just VMs.
  • Harini_Jagannathan
    Harini_Jagannathan
    3 Posts

‏2012-10-01T17:49:48Z  
    Here are some screenshots which I got from our TCR enablement team which illustrates the steps. Unfortunately, I do not have screenshots of the end result. You should be able to get rid of the prompts for Host server and Cluster. You would need to -

1. open the report in Report Studio.
    2. In the prompt page, you would find the rows corresponding to the prompts for host server or datacenter or cluster. Delete the entire row by selecting it and hitting the Delete key.
    3. Remove the filters used in the Queries from the Query Explorer in Report Studio so that you are not prompted to enter them again.
    4. Test the queries to make sure your output looks right.