Topic
  • 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-31T20:50:08Z by ted.jump
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6772 Posts

Pinned topic datapower transaction processing times

‏2012-09-27T19:47:29Z |
Hi, i have a requirement to log the start and end of transaction times; and also the time taken for the calls in-between(i.e., call-outs during the transaction)(example: an ldap call in AAA action; sql calls).

Q1)i was able to acheive the transaction start and end times using xsl/ dp:time-value() defined in a Transform action; at the being of Request Rule and end of Response Rule.
Any suggestions/comments on this approach ?

Q2) Now transaction times for calls/actions in-between ? please suggest how, i can track these times.
(I can definetly put the same transform action before and after the in-between calls/actions(aaa, sql), but i am introduction some latency and thus will not be accurate; and dont thik it is an approach, if there are 10's of calls in-between.)
Not sure, if i can use the dp service latency varibales(time-elapsed).

Thanks,
GC
  • ted.jump
    ted.jump
    328 Posts

Re: datapower transaction processing times

‏2013-10-31T20:50:08Z  

re:Q2: look up the info on the DP latency data that you can get logged, it has some detail that you may find useful.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21239328

I wrote a perl script that parses the log data and generates a lame CSV with the latency values ordered in a more natural sequence to ease understanding. I needed this during some current performance analysis work. I really need to upgrade the script to write the xls file directly. Samples attached, in case  you're curious.

re:Q1: if you only need the elapsed time of the rule then try the system variable

var://service/time-elapsed

It's ms since the tx started.

If you need to actually record the start- and ending- ms marker then I think you've got what you need.

Attachments