Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-02T13:42:23Z by kevmeist
CraigSchnurbusch
CraigSchnurbusch
13 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Workspace Launcher does not point to installer's userid

‏2012-09-27T16:58:13Z |
I installed CICS Explorer and all desired plugins, and then built a self-extracting executable that can be distributed to everyone wanting to install CICS Explorer on their workstation. When an end user uses the self-extracting executable to install on their workstation, and then they start CICS Explorer for the first time, they are prompted by the Workspace Launcher to create their workspace. The default value on this pop up window is C:\Users\ip8p\.cicsexplorer, where ip8p is my userid. Why is this prompt defaulting to my userid, rather than having their userid? Where is this default value being stored so I can clear it out before building the self-extracting executable?
Updated on 2012-10-02T13:42:23Z at 2012-10-02T13:42:23Z by kevmeist
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    270 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Workspace Launcher does not point to installer's userid

‏2012-10-01T08:35:42Z  in response to CraigSchnurbusch
    Hi Craig,

The reason this is happening is that Eclipse (which Explorer is based on) stores recently used workspaces to be helpful. Because you are using the Explorer yourself before sending it round to people, these values are being stored.

I grepped through all of the files in my installation for my workspace string and found this:
    CICS_Explorer_1110/configuration/.settings/org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs:RECENT_WORKSPACES=/home/niced/.cicsexplorer

So the recent workspaces are stored within your CICS Explorer install dir within the org.eclipse.ui.ide preferences.

Dave
    • CraigSchnurbusch
      CraigSchnurbusch
      13 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-01T17:25:49Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      The workspace directory is C:\Users\ip8p\.cicsexplorer. The installation directory is C:\CICS Explorer. Is this being stored in the workspace directory or the installation directory?

Can you give me a more complete path to this file? When I search for the file I'm not finding it.

When I create the self-extracting executable I zip only the installation directory. If this footprint is being saved in the workspace how is it getting into the self-extracting executable?

Can I just simply delete this file and then zip it up?
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        270 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-02T08:47:35Z  in response to CraigSchnurbusch
        Hi Craig,

The path I gave you was my installation folder - I don't think there'll be a configuration directory in your workspace.

C:\CICS Explorer\configuration\.settings\org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs is where I'd expect to see the file. I would guess that if you just remove that RECENT_WORKSPACES line you'd be OK - give it a try.

We're into standard Eclipse settings here - nothing specific to CICS Explorer, hence why I'm a bit vague.

Failing all else it's being stored as a string somewhere - unzip the executable and use a file search tool to find out where :-)

Note that on Linux, folders being with a '.' are classed as hidden - if you are struggling to find the .settings folder on Windows that could be part of the problem.

Dave
        • CraigSchnurbusch
          CraigSchnurbusch
          13 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-02T13:12:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Dave, thanks for the clarification. My installation directory is C:\CICS Explorer. So I found the file in C:\CICS Explorer\CICS_Explorer\configuration\.settings\org.eclips.ui.ide.prefs. In my current configuration org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs was the only file in the .settings directory. I did a fresh install of CICS Explorer and the .settings directory is not created until you click OK on the Workspace Launcher dialog, and org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs is the only file therein. When I simply delete the .settings directory, .settings\org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs is recreated when I start CE and complete the Workspace Launcher dialog again.

I then finished installing all the plug-ins again. With the plug-ins installed in didn't need to start CE again. So I deleted the .settings directory and then rebuilt my self-extracting executable. When I gave the self-extracting executable to another team member to try, when he started CE for the first time, the Workspace Launcher dialog produced a recommended workspace directory name (i.e. C:\Users\????\.cicsexplorer) that included his userid rather than my userid.

So deleting the .settings directory before creating the self-extracting executable fixes this problem.

I can't believe we are the only one that desires to have a single installation of CE with all appropriate level plug-ins and customization, which can then be distributed to all other end users. A self-extracting executable seems the logical methodology to distribute the total package. However, anyone using this methodology will encounter this same problem. When I clicked OK on the Workspace Launcher dialog I noticed that the C:\Users\????\.cicsexplorer workspace was created, and the .settings\org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs preference file was created. Before clicking OK neither exists. Why isn't the workspace preference stored in the workspace? After creating the workspace couldn't the preferred workspace name be saved in the workspace? I know a user can have multiple workspaces, so that would seem to make this suggetion unusable. Anyway, just a thought. Thanks again.
          • kevmeist
            kevmeist
            249 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-02T13:22:43Z  in response to CraigSchnurbusch
            Dave/Craig,

Isn't another option to install CE on a network share and tell the user to provide the location of the workspace (C:\users\.....) on a shortcut to execute CE from the network?

Or even to install locally as Craig has done but still use a shortcut to point to a local workspace when executing CE?

Kevin
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              270 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-02T13:34:00Z  in response to kevmeist
              You could specify, within cicsexplorer.ini, a -data option which would force users to have a specific location (for instance if your user's "home drive" is on Z: you could specify using the appropriate format that -data should be set to z:\cicsexplorer_workspace or similar). Using -data (which I suspect is what Kevin's driving at) prevents the workspace dialog from popping up. Unfortunately I don't believe Eclipse allows you to use a variable like %USERDIR% which would have been quite handy.

Anyway - I guess that one reason that Eclipse decided not to store the list of recently used workspaces in the workspace is that it would be very confusing. :-) Which workspace is it stored in? The first one? The last one? What happens if I create a new workspace? Does it inherit the settings? Then which one do we show to the user? Might have to go for a lie down just thinking about it! :-)

Dave
              • kevmeist
                kevmeist
                249 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-02T13:42:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                Even though I don't know all the ins and outs of it, RD/z (also Eclipse based) gives you the option of selecting a workspace when you start it up thus allowing what Dave refers to. Therefore, I assume (bad word I know) that CE could do s similar thing (eventually?)?

Kevin