• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-09-28T11:43:43Z by rol
rol
rol
2 Posts

Pinned topic SQL and XQuery Editor in DS 3.1.1

‏2012-09-27T11:10:23Z |
Hello.

I've recently upgraded to DS 3.1.1 from DS 2.2.

One of the things that I have just realised is that the editor has changed. Most of the SQL I have been editing has been in a set of files which have been open continuously for a considerable time, but now I have opened a new one, the change has become apparent.

The problem that I have with this new version of the editor is that there is a box full of options which now appears at the top of the editor pane which consumes rather a lot of screen space. Even if this is minimised to its smallest extent, it is still consuming space which I would rather have used for actual editable text rather than something I do not use which is not serving any useful purpose (I'd also rather like to turn the syntax checking off completely as I find that rather annoying).

I have worked out that I can get back to the old editor for individual files which are open by amending .metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.ui.workbench/workbench.xml and changing "com.ibm.datatools.core.sqlxeditor.extensions.SQLEditor2" to "com.ibm.datatools.sqlxeditor.SQLEditor", but this is obviously a rather inconvenient method for doing this. So, the question is, does simpler method of disabling the new editor in favour of the old one exist?

Thanks.
Updated on 2012-09-28T11:43:43Z at 2012-09-28T11:43:43Z by rol
  • loicjulien
    loicjulien
    96 Posts

Re: SQL and XQuery Editor in DS 3.1.1

‏2012-09-27T16:52:29Z  
    Hi,

1/ I first would like to confirm you did select "Hide Pane", rather than trying to minimize it yourself. Hiding it will provide the most optimized experienced. To this extent, I have attached a screenshot for Hide/Restore. When I hide it in my environment, it does take 2 1/2 lines of editing space so that we can accommodate the icon bar (run/debug/schedule/import/export/explain/...) at the top. I would also like to confirm that you did fully expand each editor to take the entire UI space of Data Studio by double-clicking on their individual tab, while editing your scripts (This is a practice I usually follow).

2/ In the new editor area, the Validation tab, allows to turn syntax validation off. I would also like to point out, that over the past few years, we have spent a tremendous effort bringing our syntax validation up to par with the Database engine. The latest version of Data Studio also support version-based validation for zOS and LUW.

3/ If you just want to type and can live without syntax coloring, a workaround could be to just open the Eclipse text editor and rename your file, with the .sql or ddl extension as you feel you have a stable version (or cut/paste the script content), ready to be tested, so that our editor can take back over. However, I do not a way to turn our editor off.

Hope this helps,
    ~Loic
  • rol
    rol
    2 Posts

Re: SQL and XQuery Editor in DS 3.1.1

‏2012-09-28T11:43:43Z  
    Hi,

1/ I first would like to confirm you did select "Hide Pane", rather than trying to minimize it yourself. Hiding it will provide the most optimized experienced. To this extent, I have attached a screenshot for Hide/Restore. When I hide it in my environment, it does take 2 1/2 lines of editing space so that we can accommodate the icon bar (run/debug/schedule/import/export/explain/...) at the top. I would also like to confirm that you did fully expand each editor to take the entire UI space of Data Studio by double-clicking on their individual tab, while editing your scripts (This is a practice I usually follow).

2/ In the new editor area, the Validation tab, allows to turn syntax validation off. I would also like to point out, that over the past few years, we have spent a tremendous effort bringing our syntax validation up to par with the Database engine. The latest version of Data Studio also support version-based validation for zOS and LUW.

3/ If you just want to type and can live without syntax coloring, a workaround could be to just open the Eclipse text editor and rename your file, with the .sql or ddl extension as you feel you have a stable version (or cut/paste the script content), ready to be tested, so that our editor can take back over. However, I do not a way to turn our editor off.

Hope this helps,
    ~Loic
    Hello.

Thanks for the reply.

I did hit the hide bar to minimise the options in the top box. I just find the resultant toolbar provides too little in the way of useful function when I'd rather have the 2 1/2 lines back (I'm only using "Run" which I do with F5, so an icon for it is not required). I also tend to find that I would like to be able to see the last result whilst typing, so maximising the editor is not necessarily helpful. As there is not an official method of disabling it, I've dug a little deeper and managed to come up with an unofficial method that involves moving a couple of jar files out of place which seems to do the trick.

With regards the syntax validation, I was not dismissing the effort in actually creating it. I only came to Data Studio because someone here decided to drop QMF, so how I am using DS has more do to with how I was using QMF. What I have is one file into which most stuff is entered, kind of like an ad-hoc work space. The result is that there is a lot of rubbish in the file that only occasionally gets cleaned out (half completed statements, things without terminating semicolons, and so on). With syntax validation enabled, large chunks of the file get highlighted as being in error when in fact all I am concentrated on is one small section which I am running by selecting it and hitting F5.