Topic
  • 16 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2017-02-06T18:38:14Z by ChandrasekharaM
IBMCognos8_Forums
IBMCognos8_Forums
7 Posts

Pinned topic Cognos 10 installation steps in Linux

‏2012-09-26T20:21:23Z |
Can some one provide steps or doc to install cognos 10 in Linux?
Updated on 2012-09-27T11:52:08Z at 2012-09-27T11:52:08Z by DanielWagemann
  • DanielWagemann
    DanielWagemann
    850 Posts

Re: Cognos 10 installation steps in Linux

‏2012-09-27T11:52:08Z  
    Have you had a chance to look at the installation guide?

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cbi/v10r1m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.swg.im.cognos.inst_cr_winux.10.1.0.doc%2Finst_cr_winux_id6325InstallServerComponents.html
  • Subhadip14
    Subhadip14
    1 Post

‏2014-08-19T16:06:58Z  

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cbi/v10r1m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.swg.im.cognos.inst_cr_winux.10.1.0.doc%2Finst_cr_winux_id6325InstallServerComponents.html

I look that but it is not as good. Can we have step by steps information in Linux environment installation with screenshot? or with command line

• VijendraSawant
    VijendraSawant
    14 Posts

‏2014-08-20T11:36:27Z  

Hi Subhadip,

I don't have the stepwise screenshot but surely can share you some pointer in a stepwise manner which can give you some direction to it.

1. Check if the Linux Operating system is supported for the Cognos 10 version that you are trying to install.

Goto this link and check http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27037784 based on your Cognos version.

2. If (1) if right then you should check if you have installed all the supporting operating system libraries. The libraries are 32-bit and 64-bit , you need to install them both irrespective of the Cognos being 32-bit or 64-bit. You will get the list of libraries at the above link.

3. Then Install Supported JRE version. So if you are using Websphere or Oracle Application server you would need to use the JRE which is included within Websphere or Oracle Application server. Please note if you are install supported JRE it should be installed with same user with which you would also be installing Cognos.

4. Now install Cognos using the Cognos Installable. Execute the setup executeable file. It would be better if you carryout these steps through a GUI rather then through command line. It's just a matter of ease.

4. then make sure you have copied bcprov-jdkversion.jar to JRE_location/lib/ext. This file needs to be copied from c10_location/bin64/jre/version/lib/ext directory. If you are having 32-bit Cognos then instead of bin64 you should copy it from bin directory.

5. Add the Path and following environment variable to the profile of the user with which you have installed Cognos and would be starting Cognos Service.

Set JAVA_HOME path variable to point to the JRE home directory.

Make sure you have Cognos bin directory path mentioned in LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable. LD_LIBRARY_PATH should have a path point to Cognos Install/bin or cognos Install/bin64 depending upon the bit version of Cognos you have installed

To make sure that they are set correctly you can execute set command and see if you can see both the environment variable having the right paths. While you execute the set command make sure you are login with the same user with which you have installed cognos and it's the same user with which Cognos service is going to be started as this is very important step.

6. Create the Content Store database on the supported database. You can refer the install and Configuration guide for the settings that is needed for Content store database while creation.

7. Now Open Cognos Configuration and provide the right details to URLs mentioned inside Environment. Provide proper details of your Content Store database. Please go through all the Cognos configuration settings to validate and modify the default settings needed based on your environment.

8. Test the Content Store connection.

9. If you have planned to deploy Cognos on another application server then the default one then you would need to build the ear file and deploy the same on the application server.

10. You are now good to start the Cognos service.

11. You would also need to Install and configure supported Webserver . For configuring Cognos with webserver you need to add in the respective Cognos aliases in httpd.conf file. Restart Webserver for the changes to take effect.

12. Now you are good to test the Cognos Gateway URL.

The above point is generally the steps we follow to setup Cognos on Linux. These can be used as pointer or check points while you progress.

Please note that Install and Configuration guide is the best guide to refer to if you want any indepth assistance.

Thanks & Regards,

Vijendra Sawant.

• juan.pablo
    juan.pablo
    5 Posts

‏2014-09-25T19:33:27Z  

Hi Subhadip,

I don't have the stepwise screenshot but surely can share you some pointer in a stepwise manner which can give you some direction to it.

1. Check if the Linux Operating system is supported for the Cognos 10 version that you are trying to install.

Goto this link and check http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27037784 based on your Cognos version.

2. If (1) if right then you should check if you have installed all the supporting operating system libraries. The libraries are 32-bit and 64-bit , you need to install them both irrespective of the Cognos being 32-bit or 64-bit. You will get the list of libraries at the above link.

3. Then Install Supported JRE version. So if you are using Websphere or Oracle Application server you would need to use the JRE which is included within Websphere or Oracle Application server. Please note if you are install supported JRE it should be installed with same user with which you would also be installing Cognos.

4. Now install Cognos using the Cognos Installable. Execute the setup executeable file. It would be better if you carryout these steps through a GUI rather then through command line. It's just a matter of ease.

4. then make sure you have copied bcprov-jdkversion.jar to JRE_location/lib/ext. This file needs to be copied from c10_location/bin64/jre/version/lib/ext directory. If you are having 32-bit Cognos then instead of bin64 you should copy it from bin directory.

5. Add the Path and following environment variable to the profile of the user with which you have installed Cognos and would be starting Cognos Service.

Set JAVA_HOME path variable to point to the JRE home directory.

Make sure you have Cognos bin directory path mentioned in LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable. LD_LIBRARY_PATH should have a path point to Cognos Install/bin or cognos Install/bin64 depending upon the bit version of Cognos you have installed

To make sure that they are set correctly you can execute set command and see if you can see both the environment variable having the right paths. While you execute the set command make sure you are login with the same user with which you have installed cognos and it's the same user with which Cognos service is going to be started as this is very important step.

6. Create the Content Store database on the supported database. You can refer the install and Configuration guide for the settings that is needed for Content store database while creation.

7. Now Open Cognos Configuration and provide the right details to URLs mentioned inside Environment. Provide proper details of your Content Store database. Please go through all the Cognos configuration settings to validate and modify the default settings needed based on your environment.

8. Test the Content Store connection.

9. If you have planned to deploy Cognos on another application server then the default one then you would need to build the ear file and deploy the same on the application server.

10. You are now good to start the Cognos service.

11. You would also need to Install and configure supported Webserver . For configuring Cognos with webserver you need to add in the respective Cognos aliases in httpd.conf file. Restart Webserver for the changes to take effect.

12. Now you are good to test the Cognos Gateway URL.

The above point is generally the steps we follow to setup Cognos on Linux. These can be used as pointer or check points while you progress.

Please note that Install and Configuration guide is the best guide to refer to if you want any indepth assistance.

Thanks & Regards,

Vijendra Sawant.

Hi I'm Jonh

I have an issue, I followed the steps that you posted

I copied this file   bcprov-jdkversion.jar in the JRE_location, but when I'm trying to initialize cognos, the this error appears:

ERROR-CRP-1042 It is not possible create certificate PKCS#10. Motive: java.net.UnknownHostExpeption

may you help me this this issue?

I installed Cognos BI in RHEL 6.4 x86_64

Regards

• GracyM
    GracyM
    84 Posts

‏2014-09-26T08:59:17Z  

Hi I'm Jonh

I have an issue, I followed the steps that you posted

I copied this file   bcprov-jdkversion.jar in the JRE_location, but when I'm trying to initialize cognos, the this error appears:

ERROR-CRP-1042 It is not possible create certificate PKCS#10. Motive: java.net.UnknownHostExpeption

may you help me this this issue?

I installed Cognos BI in RHEL 6.4 x86_64

Regards

try suggestions given here

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21344841

• juan.pablo
    juan.pablo
    5 Posts

‏2014-09-26T15:01:00Z  
    • GracyM
    • ‏2014-09-26T08:59:17Z

thank you.

I could find the error

regards

• juan.pablo
    juan.pablo
    5 Posts

‏2014-09-30T21:56:39Z  
    • GracyM
    • ‏2014-09-26T08:59:17Z

Now I have this issue 

Cryptography 

ERROR java.lang.NullPointerException 

any suggestions?

thanks

• GracyM
    GracyM
    84 Posts

‏2014-10-01T06:28:30Z  

Now I have this issue 

Cryptography 

ERROR java.lang.NullPointerException 

any suggestions?

thanks

Looks to be a cryptographic keys issue. Try regenerating them

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21383421

• juan.pablo
    juan.pablo
    5 Posts

‏2014-10-01T17:57:43Z  
    • GracyM
    • ‏2014-10-01T06:28:30Z

Looks to be a cryptographic keys issue. Try regenerating them

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21383421

Thanks I fixed it.

but I have other issue.

All test are good the conexion to database is good.. but when I'm trying to Start cognos service this error appears

'LogService', 'StartService', Failed

ERROR CFG-ERR-0103 Unable to start IBM Cognos Service.

Execution of the external process returns an error code value '1'.

I've been searching this issue but the error code value is -1 and error code value that appears me is '1'

I installed Cognos 10.2.1 in Spanish.

Thanks & Regards

• GracyM
    GracyM
    84 Posts

‏2014-10-06T12:07:14Z  

Thanks I fixed it.

but I have other issue.

All test are good the conexion to database is good.. but when I'm trying to Start cognos service this error appears

'LogService', 'StartService', Failed

ERROR CFG-ERR-0103 Unable to start IBM Cognos Service.

Execution of the external process returns an error code value '1'.

I've been searching this issue but the error code value is -1 and error code value that appears me is '1'

I installed Cognos 10.2.1 in Spanish.

Thanks & Regards

You are right, the common error is -1 and yours being a 1 is unique

Can you cross verify the jre version being used for this instance of Cognos from the supported env page ?

You may also check if the RHL version is patched correctly (eg. min RHL for Cognos 10.2.1 is 5.8) with the necessary 32 and 64 bit libraries ?

50% problems that dont have a known solution may resolve by following best practices, hence worth a check on the above 2 points again

• juan.pablo
    juan.pablo
    5 Posts

‏2014-10-09T21:40:32Z  
    • GracyM
    • ‏2014-10-06T12:07:14Z

You are right, the common error is -1 and yours being a 1 is unique

Can you cross verify the jre version being used for this instance of Cognos from the supported env page ?

You may also check if the RHL version is patched correctly (eg. min RHL for Cognos 10.2.1 is 5.8) with the necessary 32 and 64 bit libraries ?

50% problems that dont have a known solution may resolve by following best practices, hence worth a check on the above 2 points again

Ok, I checked this points and JRE and all is patched correctly.

I reboot my server and the same error appears but with some errors about content manager, I tested all conexions to content

this errors appears:

'ContentManager'.'gerActiveContentManager','Failure'.

DRP-CMI-4006 Unable to determine the active Content Manager. Will retry periodically

'com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.ActiveCMControl'.'pogo'.'Failure'

DRP-DRP-1035 Dispatcher detected an error.

null

CM-CFG-5063 A Content Manager configuration error was detected while connecting to the content store. reason

CM-CFG-5137 Content Manager was unable to complete the initialization of the content store. For more information, review the log file. Before you restart Content Manager, you may need to recreate the content store database or clean it using dbClean_*.sql.

And do you know how to configure Apache Tomcat with Cognos BI? it uses CGI

Thanks & Regards

• GracyM
    GracyM
    84 Posts

‏2014-10-10T05:10:52Z  

Ok, I checked this points and JRE and all is patched correctly.

I reboot my server and the same error appears but with some errors about content manager, I tested all conexions to content

this errors appears:

'ContentManager'.'gerActiveContentManager','Failure'.

DRP-CMI-4006 Unable to determine the active Content Manager. Will retry periodically

'com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.ActiveCMControl'.'pogo'.'Failure'

DRP-DRP-1035 Dispatcher detected an error.

null

CM-CFG-5063 A Content Manager configuration error was detected while connecting to the content store. reason

CM-CFG-5137 Content Manager was unable to complete the initialization of the content store. For more information, review the log file. Before you restart Content Manager, you may need to recreate the content store database or clean it using dbClean_*.sql.

And do you know how to configure Apache Tomcat with Cognos BI? it uses CGI

Thanks & Regards

Like the error message indicates, try executing the script dbClean_*.sql  on the content store(* resembles the database for the content store).

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21342265

Webserver config:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSWGNW_10.1.0/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.cp_inst_cr_winux.10.1.1.doc/t_gwapache22orihs7.html

• CognosAdmin
    CognosAdmin
    22 Posts

‏2015-05-27T07:00:34Z  

Hi,

Try this link with simple steps

http://www.cognosasksumeet.blogspot.in/search/label/Cognos%2010.2.1%20Installation%20on%20RHEL%206.4

Thanks

• CognosAdmin
    CognosAdmin
    22 Posts

‏2015-05-27T07:01:08Z  

Hi,

http://www.cognosasksumeet.blogspot.in/search/label/Cognos%2010.2.1%20Installation%20on%20RHEL%206.4

Thanks

• CognosAdmin
    CognosAdmin
    22 Posts

‏2015-05-27T07:01:23Z  

Hi,

Thanks

• ChandrasekharaM
    ChandrasekharaM
    1 Post

‏2017-02-06T18:38:14Z  

Hi ,

Can any one worked on Cognos 11/10 on AIX installation  .please share steps or doc.

Thanks