Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-28T13:17:11Z by MaksKowalik
bjdboyer
bjdboyer
15 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Hyper-V "Cluster"

‏2012-09-26T18:00:54Z |
I have a customer with (3) Hyper-V servers using shared disk. I think the refer to this as High Availability(?)... Just to make sure... I should configure WinRM on all 3 and add them as VMManagers? Or they do have an SCVMM server. Do I install the agent on that instead?

Bill
Updated on 2013-02-28T13:17:11Z at 2013-02-28T13:17:11Z by MaksKowalik
  • MaksKowalik
    MaksKowalik
    78 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Hyper-V "Cluster"

‏2012-09-28T09:50:59Z  in response to bjdboyer
    1. WinRM has to be configured on each Hyper-V host to make ILMT server able to connect and extract required hardware data.

2. When Hyper-V hosts work in a cluster and credentials used by ILMT server are identical on each of them, then it is enough to configure one connection to VM Manager and mark the option "Share credentials". In such case ILMT server will:
    • connect to the host specified by user as VM Manager
    • get the addresses of all other hosts in the cluster
    • connect to the other hosts using the same credentials and read the required data

3. By "hosts work in a cluster", I mean that virtual machines are configured as HA services. I think it is possible to configure Hyper-V to run virtual machines from a shared disk (the vm images are shared between multiple Hyper-V hosts), but not configure vms as clustered services.

Best regards,
    Maks Kowalik

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
    • bjdboyer
      bjdboyer
      15 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-22T19:51:05Z  in response to MaksKowalik
      Finally got permission from the customer to do the ILMT installs. Now this customer also has the Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) client installed on the Hyper-V server and backs them up, too. So it's possible to also install the ILMT agent on the Hyper-V host as an "agent" and using your 1-2 steps define them as a VM Manager?

Bill
      • MaksKowalik
        MaksKowalik
        78 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-28T13:17:11Z  in response to bjdboyer
        Hello,

yes, exactly. In the situation you described it is not only possible but also required. The connections (configured as s.c. "VM Managers") from the ILMT server to Hyper-V hosts provide necessary hardware data that complete the data sent by agents running in virtual machines.

Best regards,
        Maks Kowalik

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.