4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-07-26T12:02:25Z by RDzJohn
Krick
Krick
22 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RDzT Configuration - Some general questions

‏2012-09-26T03:58:12Z |
Hi,

I was talking to a customer some time ago and they are thinking about ordering RDzT for one of their teams. They have some questions that I cannot answer, maybe someone in this list can give me some light :-)
1.- if they install the product, they want to configure it as similar as possible to their test environment. This means that they want to synchronize the PTFs between RDzT and Testsystem. How are you guys managing this? Are you applying the PTFs to the LPARs and RDzT at the same time?
2.- to get a "as closer as possible" copy of the Testsystem they would like to dump some DASDs and use them in RDzT. For user data I see no problem with this. What about IBM Products? Lets say, they have DB2 installed (V10) and want to use their own DB2 DASDs and not the ones delivered with the product. Is this allowed? Is someone in the list going this way?
3. this customer uses WebSphere Portal for z/OS. Not having this product in RDzT is a "NO GO" for them. Do you guys have some similar situation? How did you manage it?
Thank you in advance!

Rodney Krick-----http://www.aformatik.com
Updated on 2012-09-27T07:53:03Z at 2012-09-27T07:53:03Z by Krick
  • RDzJohn
    RDzJohn
    229 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RDzT Configuration - Some general questions

‏2012-09-26T11:26:06Z  in response to Krick
    Rodney,
    1. It is perfectly reasonable to manage software updates and service on a mainframe system and then distribute those updated products and service via linux file updates to your RD&T user systems. This is how we recommend customers maintain their RD&T systems. The topic is covered in my provisioning whitepaper, available on the RD&T Hub.
    2. Subject to the license T's and C's, customer may dump their sysres volumes from their native system z system for use on an RD&T system. Again, we have several customers that are doing things this way. You must be careful not to violate the product's license in terms of which products you are planning to run on RD&T. In general, you may run software versions up to what we we ship with RD&T, but you may not exceed them. eg. With RD&T 8.5 you may run IMS 11, but not IMS 12.
    3. To date, we have not considered the use of RD&T for deploying WebSphere Portal. We have received requests for other WebShphere based products, but this isn't a market we've chose to actively participate in. If this is critical for the customer, please have them contact me directly.

RDzJohn
  • Krick
    Krick
    22 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RDzT Configuration - Some general questions

‏2012-09-27T07:53:03Z  in response to Krick
    John,
    thank you vey much for your prompt answer. I'll get in touch with the customer. As I said, WebSphere Portal z/OS is a core component on their target environment. So, if they really want to go this way (RDzT) I'll talk about this lead with our IBM contact and we will come back to you again.
    Keep doing the great job!
    Rodney