Topic
9 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-09-27T11:04:08Z by WBE
d.parini
d.parini
27 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic WODM: Removing Samples Console from Eclipse

‏2012-09-25T15:02:14Z |
Hi, i'm running WODM 7.5, and i have a simple question: is there a way to get rid of the Samples Console plugin installed in the bundled Eclipse? I'm asking this because i need to write it_IT rules, but i can't start eclipse in my locale because of that pretty useless plugin! I don't want to uninstall from my computer the whole samples environment because something like the samples server configuration can be pretty useful to test and debug things.

The standard eclipse plugin removal procedure isn't working (the uninstall button appears greyed out).
Updated on 2012-09-27T11:04:08Z at 2012-09-27T11:04:08Z by WBE
  • WBE
    WBE
    99 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: WODM: Removing Samples Console from Eclipse

‏2012-09-25T15:25:25Z  in response to d.parini
    Hi d.parini,

Could you please explain in what way the Sample Console is preventing you from writing it_IT rules? As far as I can tell, the Sample Console is only, on windows, starting Eclipse using
    WODM80\WODM\eclipse.exe -init -nl en_US -perspective ilog.rules.studio.samples.console.perspectives.SamplesPerspective

You should be able to switch to the it_IT locale using
    WODM80\WODM\eclipse.exe -init -nl it_IT -perspective ilog.rules.studio.samples.console.perspectives.SamplesPerspective

Regards
    • d.parini
      d.parini
      27 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-25T15:40:39Z  in response to WBE
      Thank you WBE,
      In the documentation i read that samples console only works in en_US locale. In fact, if i run eclipse setting these additional parameters in eclipse.ini

-Duser.language=it -Duser.country=IT -console -consoleLog -debug

Eclipse stucks with "osgi> " as the last output on the console.
      I'm attaching a screenshot with both my eclipse.ini file and eclipse console stuck while loading.

Running WODM80\WODM\eclipse.exe -init -nl it_IT -perspective ilog.rules.studio.samples.console.perspectives.SamplesPerspective as you suggested leads to the same result: Eclipse doesn't load.
      • WBE
        WBE
        99 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-25T16:15:42Z  in response to d.parini
        OK. Sorry I didn't realise that the Sample Console isn't (probably) internaltionalised. This might be a silly question but I still don't understand why you need to remove Sample Console in order to write rules in your locale. Are you saying that Event Designer doesn't not start because of it? Could there be another reason?

Regards
        • d.parini
          d.parini
          27 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-25T16:35:44Z  in response to WBE
          Well, the default verbalization for "keywords" like 'if' 'or' and so on is determined taking eclipse locale (as stated in the proper guide page). To write localized rules i need to run eclipse in it_IT locale. It seems that the samples console perspective is always loaded, even tough i closed it. This is why i need to disable/uninstall that perspective: it prevents me from running eclipse with my locale.
          I don't know if there could be another reason...
          • WBE
            WBE
            99 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-25T17:16:50Z  in response to d.parini
            Ah, I think I understand what you are hitting now. It looks that Eclispe has memorised what perspectives you opened before in your workspace. Have you tried deleting/renaming your existing workspace and restarting Eclipse?

Regards
          • WBE
            WBE
            99 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-25T17:19:28Z  in response to d.parini
            Oh, please raise a PMR so that the problem can be properly tracked.
            • WBE
              WBE
              99 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-27T07:34:58Z  in response to WBE
              Hi d.parini,

Have you managed to resolve your problem? If you want to resolve it in a hard way, you can try to uninstall the Sample Console using IBM Installation Manager (sample and tutorial option).

Also, I have talked to our test team and they could not recreate the problem you have reported. Is it possible for you to share with us the exact installation/usage steps leading to your current situation?

Regards
              • d.parini
                d.parini
                27 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-27T10:01:08Z  in response to WBE
                I tryied to uninstall samples' stuff, but i got an error during the uninstallation procedure. I don't remember the exact error message, but it was something like "failed to do something with eclipse configuration", so i decided to do it all from scratch: downloaded a clean eclipse and installed all required plug-ins. Doing this way i managed to obtain an Eclipse configuration able to run with it_IT localized Rule Designer, Event Designer & Co.

As an additional information, i was running a WAS instance created by me, following guides on IBM documentation, and not the preconfigured WODMSample750 WAS server. Rule execution engine has been configured to store rules in it_IT locale.

About the installation/usage steps, i can't remember exactly everything i did. I remember that before opening that evil samples console perspective it was all ok: i was able to run Eclipse in it_IT or en_US accordingly to my needs. After opening that and importing a couple of project samples, i got stuck while trying to revert back to it_IT Eclipse.
                • WBE
                  WBE
                  99 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-27T11:04:08Z  in response to d.parini
                  Thanks, d.parini!

So it looks like that were some installation/configuration issues. Many thanks for the information and good luck with WODM usage.

Regards