Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-01T14:20:23Z by Ch3
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1061 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Use .GIF and .JPG instead of .WMF/.BMP

‏2012-09-25T14:14:06Z |
Are there any development efforts to enable SA to expand the image library to include .GIF and .JPG images? It seems that we are only limited to .WMF/.BMP. We like the versatility/presentation of VISIO graphics, but the robustness of SA. Sometimes diagrams are redrawn in VISIO just for the better presentation, which is sometimes annoying.
Updated on 2013-03-01T14:20:23Z at 2013-03-01T14:20:23Z by Ch3
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1061 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Use .GIF and .JPG instead of .WMF/.BMP

‏2013-02-25T10:06:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Use web-application for parsing exported diagram xml file and for redrawing diagram with any images that you wish for. For example, use GD2 php lib to make picture from any parsed xml. SA - is just a repository. Use web application to make convinient reports, search engine and so on.
  • Ch3
    Ch3
    26 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-28T17:00:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    This response is under the assumption that you're talking about using .WMF files as symbols and .BMP as the icons.

I've had some success in creating .wmf files within visio itself. You can create a visio diagram for the symbol, complete with text, etc. It can take a little time to get it scaling correctly but I've been able to create some very clean symbols and use them effectively. You wont have the ability to colour the symbols or change the line styles but you'll get something pretty.
    On the output side, I've found BMP to be sufficient, other than the size. I've seen some info in the API for PNG/JPG outputs but I haven't explored that avenue yet.

Hope this helps a bit.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1061 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-28T20:46:25Z  in response to Ch3
      Ch3 - Like yourself, I also resorted to using Visio to create .wmf files. The problem that I ran into is when using the SA XT viewer(reader mode), all of those .wmf files appear as big red "X"s in the workspace. So I wonder if the .wmf files created by visio are 'pure' enough to be used by SA XT. I've not been entirely satisfied with the SA XT application because it isnt WYSIWYG. Though I am a bit more impressed with SA's HTML Report generator to share this information online.
      • Ch3
        Ch3
        26 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-01T14:20:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I'm not sure if there's a huge difference between the XT reader/updater clients but I just checked to confirm that the WMFs are displaying properly within XT (updater). These images are loaded within the Encyclopaedia file manager for the enterprise encyclopaedia. I can't remember doing anything special to the images and as far as I remember they are direct saves from Visio 2003.

We're just transitioning into XT/Publisher but as you've noticed word docs are still king (unfortunately). XT has some nice reporting features but it's interface is much more jarring than publisher reports and I still don’t know why every click requires a new window.