• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-10T10:45:40Z by michaelkdown
michaelkdown
michaelkdown
36 Posts

Pinned topic Validate Flat File Schema OUTSIDE of Studio

‏2012-09-25T11:54:12Z |
Hello,

Does anyone know of a tool that can be used to validate a flat file using the schema that is created by Cast Iron. I have created a Flat File schema for a EDIFACT file, and when bring a new carrier on board i want them to verify the structure of the file they are producing. However i do not want to give them the WHOLE project. Just the flat file schema, and a tool to compare there output with the input that Cast Iron is expecting.

Does anyone know of a tool that will help validate the flat files being sent.
Many Thanks
Updated on 2012-10-10T10:45:40Z at 2012-10-10T10:45:40Z by michaelkdown
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

Re: Validate Flat File Schema OUTSIDE of Studio

‏2012-10-01T07:20:06Z  
    Hi,
    If I understand correctly, you have built a project that can receive csv files and transform them into EDIFACT, and you would like to check beforehand if the csv files have the correct structure, is that right?
    Why don't you build another project that just parses the csv files, and answer with a custom result parsing message (OK or KO)?

Regards,
    Magali
  • michaelkdown
    michaelkdown
    36 Posts

‏2012-10-01T08:19:29Z  
    Hi,
    If I understand correctly, you have built a project that can receive csv files and transform them into EDIFACT, and you would like to check beforehand if the csv files have the correct structure, is that right?
    Why don't you build another project that just parses the csv files, and answer with a custom result parsing message (OK or KO)?

Regards,
    Magali
    I thought about this, and i was going to build it however, when it parses the flat file, and throws an error. It does not give a single error message that can utilised to fix the issue; all it says is an error occurred parsing the file. I was just wondering if there was a tool that can utilise the Schema that Cast Iron produces to validate the files?
  • NateTheRobot
    NateTheRobot
    4 Posts

‏2012-10-10T09:32:11Z  
    I thought about this, and i was going to build it however, when it parses the flat file, and throws an error. It does not give a single error message that can utilised to fix the issue; all it says is an error occurred parsing the file. I was just wondering if there was a tool that can utilise the Schema that Cast Iron produces to validate the files?
    Have you tried to just create another project with the defined flat file schema? By opening the flat file schema in Studio, the bottom part of the flat file designer can let me verify any example data and output the transform result. Also it indicates at which position of the flat file that it finds severe problem during the flat file transformation.
  • michaelkdown
    michaelkdown
    36 Posts

‏2012-10-10T10:45:40Z  
    Have you tried to just create another project with the defined flat file schema? By opening the flat file schema in Studio, the bottom part of the flat file designer can let me verify any example data and output the transform result. Also it indicates at which position of the flat file that it finds severe problem during the flat file transformation.
    It looks like this is going to be the only real method of achieving this. I didn't really want to the BA's to have to install Cast Iron on there local machines just to validate a flat file that is received from another company. I was hoping there was a light weight application that could be used to interoperate the schema and allow to be validate it. This isn't looking likely, so the installation of Cast Iron is the only other possible solution.

Thank you for your response