Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-09-25T13:39:31Z by SystemAdmin
Jacek_Laskowski
Jacek_Laskowski
133 Posts

Pinned topic Why do JAX-RS jars use 1.0 not 1.0.0 as their version?

‏2012-09-24T15:08:21Z |
Hi,

Why are JAX-RS jars not following the semantic versioning as the other jars do? They're currently versioned as 1.0:

dev/ibm-api/com.ibm.websphere.appserver.api.jaxrs_1.0.jar dev/third-party/com.ibm.websphere.appserver.thirdparty.jaxrs_1.0.jar

which I think should be with 1.0.0.

Jacek
Japila :: verba docent, exempla trahunt
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts

Re: Why do JAX-RS jars use 1.0 not 1.0.0 as their version?

‏2012-09-24T16:42:48Z  
    In OSGi a version number of 1, 1.0 and 1.0.0 are considered identical. You should not infer any meaning from inconsistent use of 1, 1.0 and 1.0.0 on a jar file name. In any case, until you have a 2nd jar, to assert that this example is not following semantic version is slightly unfair.

In any case looking in the dev/ibm-api and dev/third-party directories all the jars appear to end _1.0.jar.

Thanks
    Alasdair
  • Jacek_Laskowski
    Jacek_Laskowski
    133 Posts

‏2012-09-25T09:03:22Z  
    In OSGi a version number of 1, 1.0 and 1.0.0 are considered identical. You should not infer any meaning from inconsistent use of 1, 1.0 and 1.0.0 on a jar file name. In any case, until you have a 2nd jar, to assert that this example is not following semantic version is slightly unfair.

In any case looking in the dev/ibm-api and dev/third-party directories all the jars appear to end _1.0.jar.

Thanks
    Alasdair
    Hi,

Thanks for the answer. You're right, I was a bit too unfair to the developers and architects of Liberty Profile and apologize wholeheartedly.

What I however meant was to turn your attention to inconsistency that might've been avoided when a consistent versioning had been used. Many people pay attention to details. OSGi accepts 1, 1.0 and 1.0.0 as the same versions, but recommends using x.y.z as the versioning scheme.

Jacek
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts

‏2012-09-25T10:27:28Z  
    Hi,

Thanks for the answer. You're right, I was a bit too unfair to the developers and architects of Liberty Profile and apologize wholeheartedly.

What I however meant was to turn your attention to inconsistency that might've been avoided when a consistent versioning had been used. Many people pay attention to details. OSGi accepts 1, 1.0 and 1.0.0 as the same versions, but recommends using x.y.z as the versioning scheme.

Jacek
    I am not aware of the recommendation from OSGi you are referring to, could you provide a link to it please?

Thanks
    Alasdair
  • Jacek_Laskowski
    Jacek_Laskowski
    133 Posts

‏2012-09-25T11:08:36Z  
    I am not aware of the recommendation from OSGi you are referring to, could you provide a link to it please?

Thanks
    Alasdair
    Hi,

I could draw the conclusion from section 3.2.5 Version: "The default value for a version is 0.0.0." (it's not 0 or 0.0) and 3.2.6 Version Ranges: "The default for a non-specified version range is 0, which maps to [0.0.0,∞)." (again, it's 0.0.0 for whatever reasons). Moreover, com.ibm.ws.tx.jta.extensions_1.0.0.jar is with 1.0.0 while many other jars in the lib directory are not.

I can live with it, but inconsistency has always been catching my attention.

Jacek
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts

‏2012-09-25T13:39:31Z  
    Hi,

I could draw the conclusion from section 3.2.5 Version: "The default value for a version is 0.0.0." (it's not 0 or 0.0) and 3.2.6 Version Ranges: "The default for a non-specified version range is 0, which maps to [0.0.0,∞)." (again, it's 0.0.0 for whatever reasons). Moreover, com.ibm.ws.tx.jta.extensions_1.0.0.jar is with 1.0.0 while many other jars in the lib directory are not.

I can live with it, but inconsistency has always been catching my attention.

Jacek
    Hi,

Section 3.2.6 has the following example:

Import-Package: com.acme.foo;version="[1.23, 2)", com.acme.bar;version="[4.0, 5.0)"

the use of only the major and minor components in the example indicates that the specification does not intend to produce a recommendation a major, minor and micro component should be used.

Also section 3.6.3 says this about the Bundle-Version:

If the minor or micro version components are not specified, they have a default value of 0.

which would indicate the specification is not trying to indicate a preference for one version to another. It is also worth noting that the convention of naming a bundle jar as <symbolic_name>_<version>.jar is an Eclipse convention and not a recommendation from OSGi which tends not to follow that convention when producing binaries.

Alasdair