Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-09-24T12:03:51Z by Jacek_Laskowski
Jacek_Laskowski
Jacek_Laskowski
133 Posts

Pinned topic Suggestion for the command-line installer - default target directory

‏2012-09-24T09:32:39Z |
Hi,

It just struck me while I was installing the Liberty Profile using wlp-developers-8.5.0.0.jar. It would be quite handy to have the installation directory shown when the question about the directory for product files is asked, i.e.

Enter directory 

for product files or leave blank to accept the 

default value. The 

default target directory is /Users/jacek/apps

It's currently the directory where the installer is started, e.g. /Users/jacek/apps, but the default target directory should be in fact /Users/jacek/apps/wlp. It's not clear at the moment. I think it'd improve user experience quite a bit.

Jacek
Japila :: verba docent, exempla trahunt
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts

Re: Suggestion for the command-line installer - default target directory

‏2012-09-24T09:40:31Z  
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. One thing to note the installer always creates a wlp directory relative to the provided path to install into.

Thanks
    Alasdair
  • Jacek_Laskowski
    Jacek_Laskowski
    133 Posts

Re: Suggestion for the command-line installer - default target directory

‏2012-09-24T12:03:51Z  
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. One thing to note the installer always creates a wlp directory relative to the provided path to install into.

Thanks
    Alasdair
    Hi,

True. That's why I think it should explicitly be noted in the installation messages. I was mistaken to name the installation directory wlp before I realized it's the default and ultimately ended up with wlp/wlp product directory. Guess I'm the only one who was concerned to have the files in the current working directory after its name was displayed in the message. Let's not expect people will be willing to read the manual or remember how it works. Let's aim to make the installation even simpler.

Jacek
    Japila :: verba docent, exempla trahunt