Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-09-24T13:10:53Z by ozihcs
ozihcs
ozihcs
4 Posts

Pinned topic Flex Enterprise chassis with passthru ethernet, no link on X240 NICs

‏2012-09-20T16:24:52Z |
So we recently installed the first of a pair of Flex Systems Enterprise Chassis, which in our case comes with EN4091 10Gb passthru modules in bays 1 & 2. We connected the external ports of these to a pair of Cisco Nexus 2032 Fabric Extenders, using Ciscos original TwinAxe cables (SFP+ to SFP+, passive 1m).

On inserting and powering on the first X240 compute node we were dismayed to discover that it was unable to get a link, even after a full firmware upgrade (CMM + Interconnect + uEFI/Server).
So now we are scratching our heads as to where the problem sits - ideally the passthrough should be dumb as a rock, so that only mechanical failures are possible, but it seems that this particular module is sort of smart but not smart enough to have any sort of event logging / debug mechanism.

Does anyone else use these passthru modules yet? Or perhaps an IBM engineer reads this? Anyhow, some pointers would be useful.

PS: I am half worried that the module requires branded TwinAxe cables.. if so then this should be explicitly stated as it is not normal behaviour for something labeled as "Pass Through" to require explicit coding of what is basically just a fancy ethernet cable.
Updated on 2012-09-24T13:10:53Z at 2012-09-24T13:10:53Z by ozihcs
  • BradRamsey
    BradRamsey
    1 Post

Re: Flex Enterprise chassis with passthru ethernet, no link on X240 NICs

‏2012-09-23T19:58:00Z  
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redpfsig.pdf

Page 5 (15 of pdf). Even the IBM passive DAC is not supported.
  • ozihcs
    ozihcs
    4 Posts

Re: Flex Enterprise chassis with passthru ethernet, no link on X240 NICs

‏2012-09-24T13:10:53Z  
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redpfsig.pdf

Page 5 (15 of pdf). Even the IBM passive DAC is not supported.
    Thank you Brad, that was exactly the information I was looking for.

Incidentally, do you know if the module also requires specific coding or will any active TwinAx do? Obviously I prefer to use a cable which won't cause problems at the other end, and normally a server-side module such as this will work with any vendors cables, but this may have changed..