Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-09-19T20:59:50Z by SystemAdmin
oldchevy
oldchevy
23 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Synergy v7.1 - Prevent developers checking in files without task

‏2012-09-19T17:07:34Z |
Hello,

We have an issue with developer's checking in files but not completing the task. Is there an out-of-the-box way to prevent this? The only solution I can think of is a trigger script.

Thanks,
Terry
Updated on 2012-09-19T20:59:50Z at 2012-09-19T20:59:50Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    174 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Synergy v7.1 - Prevent developers checking in files without task

‏2012-09-19T18:10:19Z  in response to oldchevy
    Hi Terry,

IMHO this is not a problem per se.
    There are reasons for developers not to complete a task when an object is checked in, e.g. if only a small part of a task is implemented but another developer wants to do some changes in one of the affected files (of course this is only possible if the changes in this object can be checked in independently without breaking functionality).

A trigger script which would complete the task as soon as the developer checks in one object might be dangerous, as the developer might not have tested all the changes.

I would rather implement a query that presents an overview on all assigned tasks which have at least one related object version that's not in working state. This query would be executed nightly and a mail could be sent to either the developer (as a reminder) or to the integrator or admin (for information).

HTH
    Mike
    • rainer.oye@it-qbase.de
      10 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-19T19:09:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi,

Mike prefers a diplomatic way.

What about a nightly script that completes all tasks with no object in working state? If the developer has to continue work on that task, he could open a fix task.

If your development allows you can implement a time delay of some days (or whatever). So the task is completed automatically a few days after the last object was checked in. Maybe the developer doesn't continue working on it if he didn't touch the task for some time. (You can not be sure but probably there is a chance.)

The script should create a report of this and send a mail to the owners of automatically completed tasks.

However as Mike mentioned: keep in mind the bad effects this might have on your central build / integration or testing steps. Maybe the number failed tests will increase.

Greets, Rainer
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        174 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-19T20:59:50Z  in response to rainer.oye@it-qbase.de
        and keep in mind the bad influence such a script would have on the moral of the developers.
        "Oh, I did not check in the task? No problem. Some script will do that for me - no need for me to worry about the idea of configuration management"...

ggg