Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-09-19T16:23:29Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
396 Posts

Pinned topic R Essentials for SPSS 20 Install Problems

‏2012-09-19T04:13:18Z |
I've tried and tried, followed install instructions and information from other threads, but I cannot get R Essentials for SPSS 20 to work. Not one bit. I've got R 2.12.1 (32 bit) installed. I installed the Essentials (in Windows 7, as an admin). I've uninstalled and reloaded a few times. I still get errors that suggest it is not installed (see below).

>Error # 6887. Command name: BEGIN PROGRAM
>External program failed during initialization.
>Execution of this command stops.
>Additional error message: create startx process is failure.

Anyone have a suggestion here?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    396 Posts

Re: R Essentials for SPSS 20 Install Problems

‏2012-09-19T12:31:50Z  
    Sorry that this is not working for you. Are you able to run R directly from the Start menu? If your system is very locked down, what happens if you run Statistics using Run As Administrator and try a simple R program?

I suggest contacting Technical Support to see if they can diagnose the problem.

Regards,
    Jon Peck
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    396 Posts

‏2012-09-19T15:16:49Z  
    Sorry that this is not working for you. Are you able to run R directly from the Start menu? If your system is very locked down, what happens if you run Statistics using Run As Administrator and try a simple R program?

I suggest contacting Technical Support to see if they can diagnose the problem.

Regards,
    Jon Peck
    No problem running R on its own.

I've tried with tech support - since, like most academics, I have a copy that is part of a university site license, tech support won't help me individually.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    396 Posts

‏2012-09-19T16:13:03Z  
    No problem running R on its own.

I've tried with tech support - since, like most academics, I have a copy that is part of a university site license, tech support won't help me individually.
    Got it -- Here is a tip for Windows 7 users. What I did to get this to work was login in as the adminstrator (see http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/). I then uninstalled Python, REssentials, and R 2.12.1. Next I reinstalled each of them.

I believe the issue here is that even if you are installing each piece using "run as Administrator" you won't have full administrative access to the other programs (i.e., you need to access both SPSS and R as an admin - run as admin doesn't allow that). Installing from the administrator account seems the most straightforward solution.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    396 Posts

‏2012-09-19T16:23:29Z  
    Got it -- Here is a tip for Windows 7 users. What I did to get this to work was login in as the adminstrator (see http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/). I then uninstalled Python, REssentials, and R 2.12.1. Next I reinstalled each of them.

I believe the issue here is that even if you are installing each piece using "run as Administrator" you won't have full administrative access to the other programs (i.e., you need to access both SPSS and R as an admin - run as admin doesn't allow that). Installing from the administrator account seems the most straightforward solution.
    Nice detective work.