Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-10T21:01:59Z by JamesGrecni
JamesGrecni
JamesGrecni
6 Posts

Pinned topic Unable to Extend and Capture an image on z/VM

‏2012-09-14T11:56:22Z |
I am attempting to using the Virtual Pattern Kit for Developers to extend and capture and image deployed to a z/VM system. The image is deployed correctly but when attempting to capture it fails with "Failed to load the virtual image in the catalog".

The sequence of steps I used are:
Created a new instance of the Virtual Pattern Kit for Developers on a VMware ESX 4.1 server
Defined a z/VM hypervsior and cloud group
Imported the "IBM WebSphere Application Server Hypervisor Edition V8.0 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM System z" image
Selected "Clone and extend" and gave the name "zLinux Extend and Capture Test" for the new image
waited for the image to deploy
validated the image was deployed and could be accessed
Selected "Capture" on the new image
Capture ran for about 20 minutes - was able to validate it was capturing drive 107
Capture failed with "Failed to load the virtual image in the catalog"

Checking the zensemble logs shows a failure "com.ibm.rainmaker.ensemble.exceptions.BaseException: imagedeactivate WCA00000" where WCA00000 is the name of the zLinux guest that was created during the clone phase.

Validated that the guest WCA00000 is still defined on the z/VM system.

I'm attaching the log files from the Virtual Pattern Kit. I purposely rebuilt this system from scratch and only went through the sequence of importing and cloning the WAS z/VM image to ensure the log files were as small as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Updated on 2012-10-10T21:01:59Z at 2012-10-10T21:01:59Z by JamesGrecni
  • morganri
    morganri
    109 Posts

Re: Unable to Extend and Capture an image on z/VM

‏2012-09-14T13:48:56Z  
    I will review you logs, but I don't believe Virtual System Pattern deployment are currently supported in the Trial.

Virtual Application Patterns are the primary focus.

I will confirm and get back to you.

//Rich
  • JamesGrecni
    JamesGrecni
    6 Posts

‏2012-09-14T22:46:59Z  
    • morganri
    • ‏2012-09-14T13:48:56Z
    I will review you logs, but I don't believe Virtual System Pattern deployment are currently supported in the Trial.

Virtual Application Patterns are the primary focus.

I will confirm and get back to you.

//Rich
    Thank you Rich. Please note that this issue is with the Virtual Pattern Kit for Developers, not the SCAWS trail.

Jim
  • JamesGrecni
    JamesGrecni
    6 Posts

‏2012-09-24T17:05:57Z  
    Thank you Rich. Please note that this issue is with the Virtual Pattern Kit for Developers, not the SCAWS trail.

Jim
    Any updates on this issue?
  • morganri
    morganri
    109 Posts

‏2012-09-26T15:36:55Z  
    Any updates on this issue?
    Sorry, for the delay. I was expecting a teammate to respond directly.

The process should work technically, but the issue maybe a business practice restriction. I am still seeking clarification on this.

//Rich
  • JamesGrecni
    JamesGrecni
    6 Posts

‏2012-10-04T12:03:08Z  
    • morganri
    • ‏2012-09-26T15:36:55Z
    Sorry, for the delay. I was expecting a teammate to respond directly.

The process should work technically, but the issue maybe a business practice restriction. I am still seeking clarification on this.

//Rich
    It's now been 3 weeks since I posted this question? Is there any movement towards a resolution?
  • morganri
    morganri
    109 Posts

‏2012-10-04T19:13:11Z  
    It's now been 3 weeks since I posted this question? Is there any movement towards a resolution?
    We apologize for the delay and will respond to your inquiry as soon as the SME returns to the office early next week.
  • JamesGrecni
    JamesGrecni
    6 Posts

‏2012-10-10T16:12:58Z  
    • morganri
    • ‏2012-10-04T19:13:11Z
    We apologize for the delay and will respond to your inquiry as soon as the SME returns to the office early next week.
    Any information yet?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    139 Posts

‏2012-10-10T20:38:41Z  
    Any information yet?
    Jim,

ICCT does not support capturing images from zVM environment at this time. Unfortunately, at this time we do not provide forum support for this kit using zVM environments. This may change in future and we will provide an update as appropriate.

Thank you
  • JamesGrecni
    JamesGrecni
    6 Posts

‏2012-10-10T21:01:59Z  
    Jim,

ICCT does not support capturing images from zVM environment at this time. Unfortunately, at this time we do not provide forum support for this kit using zVM environments. This may change in future and we will provide an update as appropriate.

Thank you
    Thank you for the response. I am aware that ICCT does not support this feature. In fact ICCT does not support z/VM at all. The question was not about ICCT but about the Virtual Pattern Kit, which does come with z/VM support.

I admit to being disappointed to have to wait 4 weeks to be told the forum does not support using the pattern development kit with z/VM. As the virtual pattern kit includes z/VM as a cloud provided, is there an official IBM support channel for reporting issues with the kit and z/VM?