• 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-09-12T14:03:25Z by ldubois
1 Post

Pinned topic NULL rows from a Schema copied to a new LPAR

‏2012-09-12T04:50:30Z |
I currently have multiple .NET 2.0/3.5 web site and web service applications compiled against the version of IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries.dll that comes with iSeries Access for Windows V5R4M0. Unfortunately, when I attempt to install iAccess for Windows 6.1 for the updated .NET provider from the DVD kit, it automatically wants to replace my 5.4 client install and doesn't give me an option to have both client versions installed concurrently. That consequently doesn't allow me to have both versions of the .NET provider installed at the same time, even though the GAC would have no issue with this.
Watch The Dark Knight Rises Online
Is there a way anyone has found to have multiple versions of IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries/IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries.resources in the GAC at once? Having the both versions of the .NET provider available would allow me to slowly transition to the new provider, picking and choosing when/which applications I swap the references around on. I'm not looking to add a lot of binding redirects to a ton of web.config/app.config files.
Watch The Expendables 2 Online
So the question is how do we get the restore to have the correct entry so we don't have to recreate all the Stored Procs each time we restore a database to the Test server? Note that the same databse may be restored to several databases (eg TEST1, TEST2, TEST3 for various Testing environments).
Watch Ted Online
Updated on 2012-09-12T14:03:25Z at 2012-09-12T14:03:25Z by ldubois
  • ldubois
    122 Posts

Re: NULL rows from a Schema copied to a new LPAR

As you found, IBM i Access for Windows does not support multiple installs on the same machine at the same time. As part of the product, the .NET provider also cannot have multiple versions installed at the same time. This is because the .NET provider relies on other parts of the IBM i Access for Windows product to perform its tasks; you cannot pick and choose pieces of it and expect it to work. Sorry.

Note that you can use a newer version of the product with older host server releases; so I would definitely recommend picking up the newest version you can get your hands on. It is forward-compatible except for the 6.1 and later requirements to use the .NET 2.0 framework.

I'm not sure what your last paragraph is referring to so I can't comment on that.