5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-09-14T06:41:01Z by PaulDW
PaulDW
PaulDW
25 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Extend GPFS on AIX to windows

‏2012-09-10T14:37:59Z |
Hi,

We have a GPFS cluster consisting of only AIX nodes and would like to extend the filesystem to some windows servers. The problem is that these windows servers are not running windows 2008 and the upgrade project, to upgrade these servers is only planned to start somewhere next year. What would be the best way to extend the filesystem to those windows servers? We would like this to be a highly available, so I'm not sure NFS or samba solutions on AIX would work.
We were thinking about installing 2 windows 2008 servers with GPFS client software and create a windows file sharing cluster to export the GPFS filesystem to the other (about 10) windows servers. We don't expect high performance or volume.
Anyone experience with something like that? or other thoughts?

Thanks,
Paul De Witte.
Updated on 2012-09-14T06:41:01Z at 2012-09-14T06:41:01Z by PaulDW
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2092 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Extend GPFS on AIX to windows

‏2012-09-10T20:54:36Z  in response to PaulDW
    Hi Paul,

An option could be cnfs (a highly available NFS server option for GPFS), but this is only available for Linux. On AIX there is Power-HA, which features a highly available NFS server. Another option would be to implement CTDB, a clustered version of Samba. I have no idea on how much work it is to implement this on AIX. But it is pretty solid on Linux and used in the IBM high-end SONAS NAS devices, for example.

However, I would tell your decision makers that GPFS requires Windows 2008 and that they have to live without high availability until the migration to 2008 has taken place. Integrating Windows and AIX in a shared filesystem takes some time as well, you'll have to install/configure the Unix extensions into your AD server. This alone may take longer than the migration to 2008, given corporate reluctance to change in important places. You may also need to integrate your AIX server into AD via LDAP, so both can see the same users/groups/uids/gids.

Markus
    • PaulDW
      PaulDW
      25 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-11T13:31:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks Marc,

I agree with you that upgrading to windows 2008 is the right way to go and intend to do that in the end, but for now I was hoping our idea would be an acceptable intermediate solution: installing 2 new windows 2008 servers with GPFS client software and create a windows file sharing cluster to export the GPFS filesystem to the other (untouched) windows servers.

Paul.
      • flodstrom
        flodstrom
        7 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-11T15:08:11Z  in response to PaulDW
        Just a friendly hint here.

Be careful about your intermediate plans. You need a GPFS server license in order to legally do any form of file sharing from a specific host (if I recall correctly this even includes a FTP server accessing a GPFS file system, etc.).

If IBM would audit your system while you have a GPFS client system serving shares you may be in problem.
      • vpaul
        vpaul
        77 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-11T17:52:59Z  in response to PaulDW
        Hello,

Per the GPFS FAQ, CIFS exporting from GPFS Windows nodes is generally not recommended and especially so if performance is a criteria. Also beware that you must turn SMB2 off, which will prevent optimal CIFS performance.

Have you looked at Samba serving by GPFS AIX nodes to your Windows (external) nodes?

Thanks.
        • PaulDW
          PaulDW
          25 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-14T06:41:01Z  in response to vpaul
          Thanks for you input guys.