5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-09-12T06:20:12Z by fknubben
fknubben
fknubben
5 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IBM i - OPM vs ILE COBOL - performance characteristics

‏2012-09-10T14:20:44Z |
Hi,

having some fun with the LPEX editor and don't know if I can do anything about it.

In SEU I can copy a piece of text and paste this over existing text. This then only updates the characters replaced by the text that is being pasted.

In the LPEX editor I can't seem to replicate this behaviour. Instead, the editor seems to insert the text, rather than "paste over". And if I use ctrl-v in the sequence number area or the indicator position then things get even stranger - it seems the paste stops at the end of that 'field' rather than continuing on in the next part of the line.

I have looked for it but I cannot find any settings that might control this. Does anyone know how to trick the LPEX editor into the SEU behaviour?
Updated on 2012-09-12T06:20:12Z at 2012-09-12T06:20:12Z by fknubben
  • fknubben
    fknubben
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IBM i - OPM vs ILE COBOL - performance characteristics

‏2012-09-10T14:23:50Z  in response to fknubben
    sorry, wrong topic title for this thread - should have read:

LPEX Editor (OPM COBOL) and Ctrl-V (paste)
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      403 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-11T14:23:55Z  in response to fknubben
      Hi,

LPEX has the ability to switch between various selection and copy/paste behaviours.
      The default is the stream selection. This is the same as most windows editors.
      In this mode, the paste will replace whatever is selected at the cursor. Since the cursor is just a blinking bar, it inserts at the bar. But if you select the region you want replaced and hit Ctrl-V. It will replace that selection as you wish.

I encourage you to explore the "Select" submenu in the context menu when you right click in the editor.
      You can select a line (Alt-L) character (Alt-B) or an arbitrary rectangle across lines (Alt-R). Hitting this combo once will set the anchor of this selection. Moving the cursor and hitting the combo (Alt-L,B or R) again will select everything from the anchor to the current cursor location.
      Once you have a selection, you can do a number of things which are listed in the context menu under the "Selected" submenu.
      Alt-C Copy
      Alt-M Move
      Alt-Z Overlay (this is the one you are looking for in your question)
      Alt-D Delete
      Alt-K Upper case
      Alt-I Lower case
      Alt-F7 Shift left
      Alt-F8 Shift right
      Alt-U Unselect

You will find this method much faster than SEU and even windows for line based move/copy/overlay

Have fun
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    403 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-10T17:11:17Z  in response to fknubben
    I'm not an LPEX expert, but have you tried to toggle the INSERT to replace instead of insert? Some editors are sensitive to that setting.
    • fknubben
      fknubben
      5 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-11T09:43:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      yes, tried that. Seems to work subtly different in a way, but can't quite say what. But it still seems to interpret the various COBOL positional parts as separate paste area, rather than simply zapping existing text and replacing with what is in held under ctrl-v.